Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-01, 6:01pm
Shelarious

These are my first and second attempts at lining beads with the Impress. So frickin' cool, I think!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-02, 7:07am

Those look great!
Old 2010-05-02, 8:30am

Wow, great job! I'm stilling waiting for my impress tool! I've received everything else.

Old 2010-05-02, 8:49am
Shelarious

You guys are going to be thrilled. It's pretty fun to do.

Old 2010-05-07, 7:17pm

Yay! I received a shipping notice!

Old 2010-05-08, 6:13am
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azschneid View Post
Yay! I received a shipping notice!
Me too!!
Old 2010-05-09, 8:58pm

I ordered mine on the 23rd. I can't wait for it to get here! I've had the mandrels for a year while I saved my pennies!

jgraff

Old 2010-05-10, 5:09am

I received my press Saturday. The packaging was great! Having read the comments here, I was happily surprised to find Dave's customer service to be great. I had questions and he actually pick the phone up and called me to make sure I understood. I am glad I ignored the negative comments on here and ordered from him. Thanks Dave!
Old 2010-05-10, 5:17pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Nevermind, figured it out...

Last edited by zen-mom; 2010-05-10 at 6:15pm.
Old 2010-05-10, 5:18pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh and I'm really mad at myself for not ordering before the price went up even though Dave told me personally a couple of months ago that he was going to need to that! Darn it!

Old 2010-05-10, 6:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Okay, I'm confusing myself about what it is that I need... what is the "centering peg" for? Where does it go, do I need one?
Hi Donna,

The centering peg screws into the bottom forming post. It fits inside the tube to hold it straight and centered during shaping. You need a centering peg for each size of tubing you'll be using. The Impress comes with a peg for Rio Grande 1/4 inch tubing installed. Extra pegs are $6.00 each. The FAQ page has more information you may find useful. Also see the Articles page for instructions etc.

http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe/faqs.htm

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2010-05-10, 6:17pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I just placed an order and sent you an email regarding my shipping addy... I just sold my other tool before realizing I should have ordered this a couple weeks ago!

Oh well, it'll give me time to make lots of beads to core

Old 2010-05-16, 5:37pm

Wow I am so loving this bead liner tool! I had to use a different centering peg and the instructions were so easy to follow. I did break two beads and have learned to 'feel' just when it is enough. I've got more in the kiln to line tomorrow

Old 2010-05-17, 5:45pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Those are way cool Ansley

I got a ship notice!! Woo hooo!

Old 2010-05-17, 6:50pm

Gosh, thanks Donna. You're going to really enjoy this tool I just finished lining 5 more with caps which I just recently learned how to make so this has been so fun!

Thanks to Dave for providing an easy to use tool and extremely well made. Keep up the good work

Old 2010-05-17, 6:56pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I got a bad cap tutorial just for this as well! I have a bunch of beads made, I'm ready to rock n' roll!! Maybe I'll stamp some copper and silver tomorrow, but I'm waiting for new metal stamp to come. Oh well, I'll do it with something else...

I'm all over the place and so excited to try this new tool. I've already tried two others that I just did not like... I hope 3 is the magic number

Old 2010-05-19, 8:44pm

Does anyone know if aluminum tubing will work for coring? I happen to have some that was just the right size but it keep splitting. I suspect the metal is too soft.

jgraff

Old 2010-05-19, 9:03pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Aluminum would be awesome if worked... I think I have some too.
I just got my Impress this afternoon, so I hope to give it whirl tomorrow!

Old 2010-05-20, 11:55am
"Sinners have soul too"

OMYGOSH!!! I love this tool!! I didn't even read the instructions, just cut my tubing and popped the bead with tubing in and twist twist twist, turn over, twist twist twist, repeat. Less than 5 minutes and I had a perfectly silver cored 1/4" big hole bead... I am ecstatic!!
Thank you thank you Dave!!

Old 2010-05-20, 12:48pm
Renee Weaver

Hi, Can anyone tell me where to buy sterling silver tubing for the 1/8 and the 3/32? I've spent hours searching and the only suggestion I could find was copper tubing at ace hardware.
Thanks!

Old 2010-05-27, 12:33am
offically down under

I just got my corer and I have to say, I'm very impressed (lol) It took be several attempts as I was a little heavy handed. But, once I figured it out, it is so simple. While it takes a wee bit longer than the Jim Moore tool, I think it gives a much nicer finished product. The Jim Moore tool seems to leave a rounded edge and flat edge which kind of bugs me.

Looking for suggestions on how to make the last cut in the short piece of tubing. I have bandaides on both thumbs.
Attached Images

Old 2010-05-27, 3:11am

Hi Tammy,
Looking good, how about a demo at the next meeting? I've been thinking about doing some ever since Yunita did one for me.... I just love the look. I would be doing it with large focals so maybe copper would be the answer, at least till I get good at it...

Kerry
Old 2010-05-27, 4:19am
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catts View Post
Hi Tammy,
Looking good, how about a demo at the next meeting? I've been thinking about doing some ever since Yunita did one for me.... I just love the look. I would be doing it with large focals so maybe copper would be the answer, at least till I get good at it...

Kerry

All my crummy beads got cored with the copper. I was running out of bad beads and started to get nervous.

Old 2010-06-04, 2:23pm
Newfoundland lover!

This looks great! Dave I went to your website and emailed you, do you also have a business phone number? I just have a question. Thanks!

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-06-15, 3:20pm

I did a search for help on this but I didn't find it. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords. Sometimes when I am over eager I tighten my crank too fast and I split the tube. It's my fault I admit it. My question is,

"What's the best way to get the split lining out of the bead?"

The lining is usually pretty close to finished. I've tried squeezing it with pliers. I suppose I could take a jewelers saw to it if it's sticking out enough. But what if it isn't? I'm afraid to drill it out because that might damage the bead.

jgraff

Old 2010-06-15, 4:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraff View Post
I did a search for help on this but I didn't find it. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords. Sometimes when I am over eager I tighten my crank too fast and I split the tube. It's my fault I admit it. My question is,

"What's the best way to get the split lining out of the bead?"

The lining is usually pretty close to finished. I've tried squeezing it with pliers. I suppose I could take a jewelers saw to it if it's sticking out enough. But what if it isn't? I'm afraid to drill it out because that might damage the bead.

jgraff
Try prying the edges up with a thin tool, and then carefully use a small sharp diagonal pliers (a wire cutter / nipper) on end to squeeze the sides (ends) together towards the center working around at several angles till you get the end squished together sort of in a star-shaped pattern. Then you can slide it out the other side.

Save your silver scrap. It might be worth a _lot_ more than you paid, some day. Once upon a time, gold was at these prices.

Dave

Old 2010-06-15, 5:21pm

Hey Dave did the 3/32 bead reamers come in today? I placed my order, I'm desperate!! LOL

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2010-07-02, 2:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgg112 View Post
Hey Dave did the 3/32 bead reamers come in today? I placed my order, I'm desperate!! LOL
BeaDreamers just got here today. All sizes are in stock, but in limited quantities, so if you want a BeaDeamer soon, better jump on it right now...

dgg, Yours will ship tomorrow 7/3/2010.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2010-07-03, 5:03am
Certified Glassaholic!

Try Rio Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Weaver View Post
Hi, Can anyone tell me where to buy sterling silver tubing for the 1/8 and the 3/32? I've spent hours searching and the only suggestion I could find was copper tubing at ace hardware.
Thanks!

Old 2010-08-09, 6:37pm
too many rods in the fire

Wooo hooo!! My son just ordered me the Impress for my birthday! What a great son (and what a great gift). I am very excited.

Does anyone know what the approximate shipping time is on this tool these days? I know that at the beginning, there was quite a wait time.

Thanks in advance!