Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-08-30, 8:14pm

Default Need Ventilation Feedback

I'm setting up a studio in a room on the first floor of my home and need some feedback on whether my ventilation plans are adequate. I've read and re-read (and re-read) threads on studio setup but want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. I really like Mary K's through-the-workstation fresh air setup and would like to do something similar. Here is a [rough] sketch of the space and my plans.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I can't do anything that involves going through the ceiling since our dining room is directly over this room. I don't have a problem with running fresh air ducts directly into the studio space (like Mary did) but my significant other isn't as crazy about it. He still thinks it's possible to be a tidy artist. I don't care if it's pretty, I just want to be able to work.

Here is some information about the equipment I plan to use, and then I have a couple of questions.

Equipment:

Torch: Mini-CC
Oxygen: Concentrator
Propane: Outside tank with pipe going through the wall
Hood: 36" Glasscraft I've had for a few years but never got a chance to set up -- I will replace the fan due to safety issues with the Glasscraft fan.
Exhaust Duct: 10" duct that will have one bend inside the room, then go through 9 feet of shop space (near ceiling) before it reaches outside
Fan: Can-Fan 10" 1019 -- I'd like to put the fan outside the studio if possible to decrease the noise
Fresh Air Intake: 2 - 8" ducts that come in from the shop (same wall, one on top of the other) go through the wall into the studio, and are vented up through the back of the work table.
Flooring: Porcelain Tile

Questions

Can I safely put the Can Fan this far away from the exhaust hood, or do I need to have the fan just on the other side of the studio wall--inside the shop space?

Do I have the right size exhaust duct and fan? I will be working with silver and enamels.

Are 2 fresh air ducts of this diameter adequate? Does the fresh air need to come from different locations, or can I have both in the same wall (vertically oriented)?

Is it possible to get away with one larger fresh air duct? I have a window but only want to use it on moderate days -- I used to work in a garage and don't enjoy wearing 10 layers of clothes.

Here's the diagram. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Jane

Old 2010-08-30, 10:45pm
Salt Box Beads

You don't say where you live? If you own your own home your insurance will probably be cancelled as soon as they find out about the studio in the house.

Also if you file a claim it will be denied because of the studio in the house.

Please check all of the city codes and restrictions, any neighborhood CC&Rs and check with your insurance carrier before you set it up.

Good luck and welcome to LE
Old 2010-08-31, 7:01am

Thanks for the feedback, Lorraine. I live in Oregon and own my home. I'll check the codes and restrictions.

Can others comment on the insurance piece? I know many people have studios inside their homes -- what has your experience been with homeowners insurance?
Old 2010-08-31, 7:17am
Just at the begining

The distance is fine, the makeup air can be replaced with 12" round or 10"x10" square.
Attached Images

Old 2010-08-31, 9:00am
Gentleman of Leisure

Most of what you have it out pretty close...

Fan can be any place in duct "system" if fan is at front end or back end of system static pressures is the same. Unless fax specifications restrict to either just pushing air or sucking air (don't usually see much of these restrictions on fan specs) ...

If fan is placed at exhaust end of system be sure to seal any joints between studio and fan to prevent any leaks from reducing air flow at studio end....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-08-31 at 9:10am.
Old 2010-08-31, 9:03am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeM View Post
The distance is fine, the makeup air can be replaced with 12" round or 10"x10" square.
Is this just for make up air duct (attached image)? In reality "studio" is just a big chamber in middle of total length of ducting... Any calculations need to include both sections of duct work specially when calculation fan loss (static pressure for whole system)...

Also what spread sheet are you using, can I see a copy?

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-08-31 at 9:07am.
Old 2010-08-31, 11:22am

Hi Jane - I have my studio in my home and recently had a fairly large water claim. Of course, the damage was in my studio and I was terrified to have the insurance adjuster see what I've been up to. (I have an oxycon and my propane on a line directly from my tank outside (we have propane for heating our house)). So there was this bright yellow hose on the wall and he asked, "what's that for" and my husband kind of down played it and said, "oh, that's for my wife's hobby - she makes glass beads." That was it end of story, claim was paid and I still have my homeowners insurance. Good luck and have fun with you new studio!! Cherie

Old 2010-08-31, 12:49pm
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Is this just for make up air duct (attached image)? In reality "studio" is just a big chamber in middle of total length of ducting... Any calculations need to include both sections of duct work specially when calculation fan loss (static pressure for whole system)...

Also what spread sheet are you using, can I see a copy?

Dale
Your right I forgot the return air, the spread sheet is based on the engineering toolbox formulas, and is very simple. I have PM'ed you the password.
Attached Files
File Type: zip simple_loss_calculator.zip (6.1 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by JoeDeM; 2010-08-31 at 12:52pm.
Old 2010-08-31, 1:12pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Cool.... Engineers tool box site has so much information, I get lost in there sometimes looking at everything....

Dale

Old 2010-08-31, 5:55pm

Quote:
Your right I forgot the return air, the spread sheet is based on the engineering toolbox formulas, and is very simple. I have PM'ed you the password.
Thanks for the info about return air ducts. Does this change if I have one 90 degree bend in the return air duct? It will be coming in through the wall behind the torch. It would be great if I could get by with one 12" round duct. I've also got one 90 degree bend in the exhaust duct. Not sure how that enters into the equation.

Two more questions -- any ideas on the distance I need between the workspace and the hood?

And....do I need to worry about having my outside propane tank so close to the fresh air intake? I made sure to put plenty of distance between the fresh air and exhaust, but just realized the propane tank is within 5 feet of the fresh air duct. I'm not sure whether I run the risk of pulling fumes into the studio.

I'm glad you guys are good at these calculations. I have good math skills but I get a little lost with all the friction/velocity stuff. I'm a pretty smart person, but trying to figure this out has made me feel dumb. I really appreciate your help!
Old 2010-08-31, 5:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherieRanfranz View Post
Hi Jane - I have my studio in my home and recently had a fairly large water claim. Of course, the damage was in my studio and I was terrified to have the insurance adjuster see what I've been up to. (I have an oxycon and my propane on a line directly from my tank outside (we have propane for heating our house)). So there was this bright yellow hose on the wall and he asked, "what's that for" and my husband kind of down played it and said, "oh, that's for my wife's hobby - she makes glass beads." That was it end of story, claim was paid and I still have my homeowners insurance. Good luck and have fun with you new studio!! Cherie
Thanks! I'm going ahead with the studio regardless, but it's good to hear what others have to say about the insurance issue. Glad things went well for you. It's kind of ironic that you had water damage in a location where you might have expected fire! I hope you've had your repairs done and are back to making beads!
Old 2010-08-31, 6:05pm

Quote:
Most of what you have it out pretty close...

Fan can be any place in duct "system" if fan is at front end or back end of system static pressures is the same. Unless fax specifications restrict to either just pushing air or sucking air (don't usually see much of these restrictions on fan specs) ...

If fan is placed at exhaust end of system be sure to seal any joints between studio and fan to prevent any leaks from reducing air flow at studio end....

Dale
Thanks, Dale. I really appreciate your feedback and it's good to know I'm on track with the design. As I said, I've done a LOT of reading and re-reading to get to this point and just need to fine-tune things before putting it all together. Good to know I can put some distance between myself and the noise of the fan. Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing safety information in this forum.
Old 2010-08-31, 8:48pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I would place propane tank as far away as I can get it from air intakes especially if they are near ground level... Simply put 90 degree elbow on piping and extra 10 feet of pipe along wall to get further away from fresh air intake....

Dale

Old 2010-09-01, 8:56am
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by winedarksea View Post
Two more questions -- any ideas on the distance I need between the workspace and the hood?
The height will depend if you are going to install side walls, if yes then 32" or lower will work.
Old 2010-09-01, 6:25pm

Quote:
The height will depend if you are going to install side walls, if yes then 32" or lower will work.
Thanks. I wasn't planning to install side walls on the hood. What does that do to the height of the exhaust hood?
Old 2010-09-01, 6:27pm

Quote:
I would place propane tank as far away as I can get it from air intakes especially if they are near ground level... Simply put 90 degree elbow on piping and extra 10 feet of pipe along wall to get further away from fresh air intake....

Dale
Thanks, Dale. That's what I thought. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the propane outside if I proceed to suck all the fumes back in!
Old 2010-09-02, 7:44am
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by winedarksea View Post
Thanks. I wasn't planning to install side walls on the hood. What does that do to the height of the exhaust hood?
I would lower it to 24" to get better capture.