LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-23, 12:08am

Default Copper...what do I do with this???

I found boxes of this stuff. It's copper wire. Some of it is over a ft long. These are about 6 inches or 8 inches and about 2-3mm in diameter.
Can I use this for like copper links and such?
Is this stuff expensive to buy?
My son has tons of it and I thought I'd ask around before figuring out what to do with it.
Thanks
Irene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-23, 12:35am
T.J. made me do it

That looks like the pile of copper I rescued from the trash after my shop was built last Spring. It appears to be electrical wire. I asked the contractors why they threw it away and they told me it is too expensive to recycle because it is encased in plastic. Yours looks like it has already been stripped. I haven't yet figured out what to do with mine.

Julie
Old 2007-11-23, 1:30am
I need more boro stuff

Chainmaille

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-23, 1:48am
I speak Murrini!

Hi Reenie and Yunita!!!

Well, you absolutely MUST inquire of Sandy (slcuniques)...she will surely have a bunch of wonderful ideas and projects that she would suggest!!! She does such wonderful things with wire, and copper - well, you know it's just destined to be some sort of gorgeous item in no time!!!

I hope you let us know what you come up with!!!

Hugs from here,
DeAnne in Arcadia

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-11-23, 3:22am

I wish I knew how to do chainmalle or any kind of wire work.
I'll send Sandy an email and see what she thinks!!!
Irene

Old 2007-11-23, 4:20am

Use it to chain together random yet colour co-ordinated orphan beads into long necklaces.

They look great!
Old 2007-11-23, 5:15am
Knob Creek Glass

I have seen it in a number of bracelets, used just like silver. It is beautiful. I have a box of such, some not stripped. I wish that I had saved more of it.
Old 2007-11-23, 5:24am

Make lampwork buttons. Bend the wire (a small piece) into a u-shaped loop with the ends bent to the sides (does this make sense? picture a button). Hold the loop with hemostats and heat the ends. Wrap glass around the ends and shape into a button. Heat thoroughly and put directly into a kiln. Is it Patti Walton that did a tutorial on this? Can't remember. Fun stuff though!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-11-23, 6:37am

Love the button idea! How simple is that? Sometimes the best ideas are the ones I respond to with, "Duh!" Can't wait to try it.

Old 2007-11-23, 3:25pm
geekitude on two wheels

I use my spare copper & beds to make garden stakes, trellises etc. and adorn stuff. Usually I tuck one end of a piece of wire into a bead hole then 'cage' it by wrapping the wire around it. If the hole is big enough, I go back through the bead. If not, I just twisti ti together with one of the wraps. Then I've got a wire wrapped bead with a length of wire on it, ready to be attached to a wreath, candle, light fixture or whatever. I keep meaning to do a chandelier of them with candles for outside. I love copper because it's really easy to work with - if it's too stiff, just anneal it in your kiln with your beads, if it's too soft whack it with a hammer or temper it by dousing it in water after you've heated it in the kiln. It's nice and soft to cut, too. The only down side to it is that it oxidizes so quickly, but that can be nice, too, if you plan for it. have fun! - jen
Old 2007-11-23, 3:36pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

You can do anything with copper that you can with Silver.
Copper is yummy....

Name:  Karen Hardy - wire pendant.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  34.2 KB

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-11-23, 4:34pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Copper is yummy....

Attachment 50943
Holy Sh**. That's wonderful!

Old 2007-11-25, 12:16am
Hopeless glass addict!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnglass View Post
That looks like the pile of copper I rescued from the trash after my shop was built last Spring. It appears to be electrical wire. I asked the contractors why they threw it away and they told me it is too expensive to recycle because it is encased in plastic. Yours looks like it has already been stripped. I haven't yet figured out what to do with mine.

Julie
My husband's uncle tosses old wire on a little fire to burn off the insulation before recycling it. I think I've heard that you can apply copper wire to beads like silver wire...with different results, of course.

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2007-11-25, 8:23am

OMG Karen that is just just .... WOW. words fail me.

Old 2007-11-25, 8:59am
Striking-impared...

I love using copper in chainmaille! The only problem being that if I wear it in humid weather it turns green on me. Then figured out that I could dip it in liver of sulfur and get neat colors out of it -- can wear that in humid weather!

Copper is a lot of fun to work with.

Old 2007-11-25, 9:40am

As a wire artist I work in copper, sterling, and 14kt. What I do is to dip the wire (before or after working the wire) into Future floor polish. If you dip your wire before you work it, be sure to wrap your pliers in masking tape so as not to mar the wire while working it (be sure to let it dry completely); otherwise dip after working the wire. I have tested this method on a wire wrapped cross that hangs off my cell phone - an item that gets a lot of abuse, in and out of the purse, on the table, dropped on the floor of the car, and just plain toying with it with my fingers while someplace and bored. Nothing has marred the coating in four months and it is still bright and shiny. I haven't actually tried dipping the wire first and then working it, so if you do it this way, let me know how it turns out and I'll try to test that way as well.

Well, good luck and DEFINITELY don't toss out the wire. The price of copper has sky rocketed and I heard just last week that a high school football stadium was plundered and destroyed from thieves ripping out all the copper wiring for recycling. Sooo sad

Have fun!
Old 2007-11-25, 8:41pm

Wow....thanks guys. I tried to bend the little sucker and it's some stiff stuff.
I'll play with it and try your ideas and if I get frustrated, then I'll just post up here and just give the stuff away
I don't seem to have enough hours in the day to make anything but maybe I can practice trying to play with wire first.
Beatiful necklace btw
Irene

Old 2007-11-26, 8:19am

Well put me at the head of the list if you decide you don't want it!

Old 2007-11-26, 10:25am

Heres a bracelet I made for the bracelet exchange. Its the first one that I made with copper. Seeing Sandy's beautiful work inspired me.

My Facebook
Old 2007-11-27, 4:07pm
The Glass Smithy

Jewlie Beads, that is a great looking bracelet! Sandy does exceptional work doesn't she!
I may get over my intimidation and try wire wrap. But with people like you doing such good work, and on the 1st pieces, my intimidation may last a lot longer.
Old 2007-11-27, 4:17pm
sunscreen me baby

Doesn't it turn red inside of clear glass? What about wrapping it around a mandrel and making beads on it? Makes me want to strip some phone wire just to try it, lol.

~

Old 2007-11-28, 2:50am

From that picture...the main copper (not the spiraled) is the size I think of what I got. It's a real bugger to bend. I haven't had time to really play with it yet but at this rate, I never will. I'll definitely let you know when I'm ready to pass it around.
Thanks everyone.
Irene

Old 2007-11-28, 4:09am
Macaw Mamma

OMG... this is magnificent Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Copper is yummy....

Attachment 50943

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken