Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-24, 9:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
Annealing bubbles is the "perlite" !!!!!!
Pearlite creates sharp shard like dust particles which are very dangerous to breathe.

Annealing bubbles are also high silica content but they have been processed and are a solid round glass bubble that will not break down or give off sharp edged dust particles.

It is NOTHING like pearlite. I know this because my husband is a geologist and his forte is minerals and he just explained it to me. Pearlite is also one very dangerous product to breathe, you should wear a respirator P or N 100 whenever working with pearlite. My DH said if he had to choose between peearlite or vermiculite he would choose vermiculite. He has been the geologist in charge of several mines and worked them for years so he should know.

Please people do not take anyones word for things like this. Especially when it comes to your lungs and breathing in any kind of dust particles. Do your research and find out and know for sure.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-04-24 at 9:27pm.
Old 2010-04-25, 9:00am

You can rinse the dust off the perlite....
Old 2010-04-25, 9:49am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
You can rinse the dust off the perlite....
You would have to rinse and dry everytime you used it. Every time you 'move' a substance like pearlite you create particulates. There will be a lot more dust with a new bag because it has been slammed around alot.
Just because you rinsed it once doesn't mean it is free from particle dust forever.

It is very chalk like and breaks easily into concentric circles, which are very jagged. Anything chalk like breaks easily when rubbed or bumped etc. Every time you put a bead into it you are rubbing the particles and breaking off those sharp jagged microscopic pieces.

Annealing bubbles do not do that. They have been processed by heating and shapeing and are a nice round uniform hardened silica that doesn't create dust. Much Much better for cooling beads and much better for our lungs.

http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...62%20_Q_~1.pdf

Some say it's not dangerous but it is a known irritant to skin, eyes, and dangerous if enough is breathed in. For those who are sensitive or have allergies or asthma etc. please go with the bubbles.

Okay off my soapbox. I've issued a warning that I feel very good about and if you use pearlite you do so at your own risk.

Lorraine
Old 2010-04-25, 10:06am
Covered in glitter

I wrapped heavy duty aluminium foil around the outside the just around the inner edges of my fiber blanket when I was using it. It helps retain even more heat and keeps the fiber from shedding quite so much. I probably used it for 400 beads and only had one crack before it was annealed.
I love the annealing bubbles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-25, 10:11am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
You would have to rinse and dry everytime you used it. Every time you 'move' a substance like pearlite you create particulates. There will be a lot more dust with a new bag because it has been slammed around alot.
Just because you rinsed it once doesn't mean it is free from particle dust forever.

Lorraine
I have opened the bubbles. They are all round, uniform, and intact. There is a small bit of dust at the bottom, and I mean a VERY small amount. There is no dust coating the sides of the bag. I see no sharp edges and no broken bubbles. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. They look way less disgusting than my fiber blanket!

Happy with my bubbles
Old 2010-04-25, 10:14am

just an fyi-the NFPA rating of 1 in health hazard means exposure could cause irritation but only minor residual injury even if no treatment is given.

And it says to dampen to clean up spills. It says if you have a problem with airborne dust, use a mask to clean it up.

I used the stuff for several years. It doesn't make enough dust to have to clean it every time you use it. You aren't tossing it in the air like confetti for heaven's sake, you stir it once or twice with a mandrel, then slide your beads into it. You probably raise a lot more nuisance dust when...dusting...lol.

another msds sheet for it-

http://www.perlite.net/apc/oremsds.pdf

What is the msds sheet for annealing bubbles like? I'm not saying anything is worse than anything else, I just dislike it when risks are exaggerated.
Old 2010-04-25, 11:59am
Salt Box Beads

I just dislike it when risks are exaggerated. As I mentioned in my previous post about people with allergies, lung problems and asthma etc. pearlite can be very hazardous.

Pearlite can be very hazardous to the health of sensitive people of which I am one.

Pearlite for gardners is used only several times a year. That is fine some people wear masks because they have symptoms after using it.

Lampworkers on the other hand could be using it daily and that could be a problem. Wouldn't you rather the possibilities of long term exposure be pointed out than left unsaid? I would and I am always thankful people on Le share their knowledge. It helps me to choose what is best for me.

I totally accept that there are people that can and will use pearlite with no side effects. My warning is for others who are sensitive.

Use it if you want but do not call me out on exaggeration. I am just trying to help!!

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-04-25 at 12:08pm.
Old 2010-04-25, 12:03pm
Salt Box Beads

Rachelle I am so glad you luv your bubbles! I can't wait to get mine. I am also glad to hear about the very little dust. Woohoo!

Deb, I also liked my blanket in foil better than vermi but everyone is raving about the bubbles and they are safer especially for me. I should use my kiln but I only like to when I make larger beads. Maybe when I get a real studio and move out of my teeny horse trailer I will use it every time.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-04-25 at 12:07pm.
Old 2010-04-25, 1:06pm

check out the msds on salt here-

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/S3338.htm

It's got more risks listed than perlite. Salt has a 1 risk rating in two categories. I fill up salt shakers every few months, and when I'm canning stuff, pour quite a bit of it. It's got the same risk rating for inhaling as perlite. Anyone ever have any salt inhaling issues?

When I used perlite, I filled the container once. I stirred it twice or so with a mandrel prior to putting beads in it. There were no visibly jagged sharp edges.

I'm sure annealing bubbles are great. I've not used them, or anything else other than a kiln or perlite. This is how perlite worked for me, and for the others who use or used it.

Annealing bubbles sure *look* a lot like perlite, except that they are round and shiny.
Old 2010-04-25, 1:23pm
Covered in glitter

Let it go, OK?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-26, 3:45pm
Salt Box Beads

Got my tin of bubbles today. I had to take them out to the studio and try them. I made some quick beads and I luv the bubbles! The tin is a perfect size for my work surface.

The vermi is going out to the garden shed next to the pearlite!!
Lorraine