Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2010-05-06, 1:19pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC
Default Unhappy camper here...

I just received my third order ever from Frantz. I hadn't ever used them before as they do not take paypal - but I broke down and ordered some with the CC. The first and second order took forever to arrive, but finally got here. Then the conical sale happened. I jumped right on it and ordered copper green, red copper green, silver pink, edp and chocco-lotta. I paid for it as soon as I was done ordering so it did not sit in my cart. At the time of my order it said everything was fine. Then I receive an email telling me that I'm only going to get two of the items I had bought. Ok - well at least the edp was still there...and the chocco-lotta. The shipment I received today arrived a little faster, but almost all of the chocco-lotta rods are cracked and broken, which is bad enough...but they are also covered in a thick black oily substance that resembles axle grease. I am not very happy about this. I also read the post about not leaving items in your cart as they might disappear if you wait to pay for them. I paid immediately and mine still disappeared. I have written an email to Frantz and sent pics of the just unwrapped mess I got so I am waiting to hear. I wonder if anyone else had greasy and broken rods arrive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-05-06, 1:26pm

ive had some pretty dirty looking rods in the past and yep like an oily greasy crap on them

Old 2010-05-06, 2:04pm
Storm Queen

I think the dirty looking stuff is what happens from hand pulling. It's from resting the hot pull on whatever they rest it on....or at least that's what I remember reading somewhere. It just burns right off.

Old 2010-05-06, 2:15pm
Happiness is....

wouldn't soap and hot water work?

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2010-05-06, 2:59pm
thecoralcat

Hi Amy! I kind of don't think that is what this is - I run a distribution center and I know axle/5th wheel grease when I see it. And the EDP doesn't have the same problem - it is fairly clean although cracked.

And yes, Kris - soap (heavy duty) and water will work, although a solvent would work better, however that is not the point. The point is that I paid $70 for what amounted to a greasy bunch of crap!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2010-05-06, 4:17pm
Storm Queen

Hmmm....I was thinking that it was just those burn marks, not actual grease. Ick.

Old 2010-05-06, 5:49pm
Angie09

Joan.

If it's any consolation, Frantz has always been very good about correcting their mistakes. Mickey might still in Italy but others there I have dealt with have been very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Good luck with this ... I always sooo look forward to receiving new glass and when there's a problem, it's very disappointing. Hang in there!

Angie
Old 2010-05-06, 6:44pm

It's sad when a glass order disappoints. We've received greasy rods before. If you run them through your dishwasher, they clean right up and sparkle. I know that doesn't help with the cracked and broken glass, but I can say that I've ordered from Frantz many times in the past and there have been few foul-ups. Anything that wasn't right, was handled right away.
I hope things work out for you quickly.
Joan
Old 2010-05-06, 6:45pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi Joan
I'm sorry about that mess! I'm surprised because I've had packaged come from Frantz that looked like usps played football with it but everything inside was amazingly perfect!!
As for paypal, I have a paypal debit card and use it everywhere. That might help you in those situations too!
Sue

Old 2010-05-06, 6:51pm
BeadsonCypress

Get on the phone and call them.....complain verbally!! Or Email MF directly...they should take care of it promptly!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-05-07, 12:51am
one day at a time

I've ordered from Frantz many times and I have never received dirty rods. I'm happy with their service and their sales are great. Only maybe something was on backorder and that was a little disappointing a couple of times.

So why are you posting this here? Did you contact them to see if they would fix the broken glass problem and make them aware of the dirty greasy glass? Problems like this are best worked out with the vendor directly. Their phone customer service is excellent and I'm sure they would have helped you.
Old 2010-05-07, 3:04am
She's Back & Burnin'

I wasn't too happy with my last order either. It wasn't the customer service from Franz since I only order over the phone. I refuse to use the online shipping cart! It came promptly and even though the box always looks like UPS ran over it, nothing was broken.

My problem is that all the transparent Moretti have so many air bubbles. It doesn't matter what I do or how slow I go, tons of scum and bubbles! What gives with this?

Sara

Old 2010-05-07, 3:56am
thecoralcat

I have contacted them via email and am waiting for a response. I posted here in the Customer Service Kiosk as I believe this is where problems with vendors are aired on this forum. I'm sorry if my post offends you, but I have an issue with the way this entire sale was handled. First, we were invited to a sale on this forum that the company did not have the inventory to support. Then, although I followed the "updated" list and paid promptly --- following the posted instructions and warning about leaving the product in your cart, I was ultimately able to purchase only a fraction of what I had ordered. I was disappointed then, but still looking forward to the shipment. Only to receive it in horrible condition. The grease is on the rods and wrapped into the plastic and many, many greasy fingerprints can be seen all over the glass. I'm glad that some of you have had good experiences with them. If I had sent a shipment out of my distribution center in that condition, the customer who received it would have every right to assume that I just didn't give a sh** about them or their order. I believe that this IS the proper forum for problems with vendors as well as praise for them.

NEW TUTORIAL!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2010-05-07 at 4:04am.
Old 2010-05-07, 5:14am
Dangerous Woman

I never recieved any response to a e-mail I sent to them regarding a problem. I did recieve 1 response from Mike to 2 different PMs, although he never actually addressed any of my issues. I would suggest a phone call.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-05-07, 6:49am
Angie09

I agree with Joan ... we need to all be aware of the "good" and the "bad" of the vendors we buy from. When something like this happens to one of us, you can be sure it is happening to a lot more that are not expressing their frustration. Honest information is always a good thing.
Old 2010-05-07, 7:04am

As a relative newbie to this forum and lampworking, I find honest information to be the number one reason I am here. I applaud people who post problems with vendors or equipment.

There is no reason for grease all over the rods. They should have been cleaned before they were ever packaged. With the price of glass, there is no reason we should be cleaning anything out of the box.

I will have to rethink ordering from Frantz again. With so much competition out there we should not have to put up with this. Thank you for posting your troubles.
Old 2010-05-07, 9:22am
Dangerous Woman

Don't judge Frantz too harshly. I have had many orders from Mike come through perfect. Any business is gonna screw up an order here or there. I only had issues once.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-05-07, 9:54am

I've ordered from Frantz many times. I've gotten phone calls about backorders. I've had nasty clear replaced without even having to send a photo, with a different manufacturer's clear, based on a phone conversation. I've never gotten greasy glass, though getting glass that needed to be cleaned is the norm. Plus then i get to fondle all my glass, which is fun.

Shit happens when making orders. Mistakes occur.

How a company handles that mistake is the deal breaker.

I'd like to see posts in this forum about companies not responding to an issue, or not resolving it, not "I got an order and glass was broken but I haven't called them to complain".
Old 2010-05-07, 10:06am
Lampworkaholic!

Call.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm sure Frantz will make things right with you.

Almost all of my Frantz orders have been perfect - except once they sent me 11 lbs. of glass I didn't order with my order - which of course I reported and returned.

I got some impossibly shocky orange dreamsicle once and some chubby rods of sage that were supposed to be 4-6mm and Frantz gave me a refund.

Nothing has every been poorly wrapped, dirty or broken. Most of the time I get my glass within a week.

And of course I love the point store.

I have 2 lbs. of conical on hold and hope it comes intact and clean when I am ready to have it shipped.

Hope it all gets sorted out to your satisfaction!

L

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-07, 10:14am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have gotten glass with that black stuff on it but it wasn't a lot of it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-05-07, 10:28am
Forever P~P~P :0)

I actually just received my order of conical glass and some of the HUGE rods had some pretty large black spots on the. I'm talking about about 1/2" in diameter rods of Neptune with 1/2" black spots. Im hoping this is just the nature of this glass. On one of the rods, this black spot is about 1.5" long and 1/2" wide. Im assuming this will be unusable glass? I'm also assuming that these spots were due to them laying the glass down on the wood palettes during pulling and I guess thats part of the whole "handpulled" glass part.

Never-the-less... I have never received broken or greasey glass from Frantz but I have had a few screw-ups on a couple of my orders but the were promptly corrected, which were in the form of refunds. I totally hope they rectify the problem because Frantz glass is a great place to shop for glass!! Good Luck!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-05-07, 11:12am

Default Response to Unhappy Camper

Quote:
I just received my third order ever from Frantz. I hadn't ever used them before as they do not take paypal - but I broke down and ordered some with the CC. The first and second order took forever to arrive, but finally got here. Then the conical sale happened. I jumped right on it and ordered copper green, red copper green, silver pink, edp and chocco-lotta. I paid for it as soon as I was done ordering so it did not sit in my cart. At the time of my order it said everything was fine. Then I receive an email telling me that I'm only going to get two of the items I had bought. Ok - well at least the edp was still there...and the chocco-lotta. The shipment I received today arrived a little faster, but almost all of the chocco-lotta rods are cracked and broken, which is bad enough...but they are also covered in a thick black oily substance that resembles axle grease. I am not very happy about this. I also read the post about not leaving items in your cart as they might disappear if you wait to pay for them. I paid immediately and mine still disappeared. I have written an email to Frantz and sent pics of the just unwrapped mess I got so I am waiting to hear. I wonder if anyone else had greasy and broken rods arrive?
Dear Joan, I am sorry that the service you deserve has fallen below the acceptable level that all of our customers should expect to receive.

At this time we have not received your email. This is not to say you did not send it, we just never got it. Which email address did you send it to? Perhaps you can resend this email to my email address? Please do.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do have your orders (2) in front of me and we do try to ship our orders as quickly as possible. Actually, your orders appeared to ship within about 3 days from receipt (not including the weekends).

Regarding the dark grease-like residue on your rods, perhaps the photos will show me different, but I know that there were dark carbon streaks on these handpulled rods. This happens because when they pull the glass by hand if it hits the concrete floor it would chill and break, therefore they have wooden planks that the glass lays on. The hot glass burns the wood and puts a black carbon mark on it. This does not interfere with the quality of the glass.

Conical happens only with handpulled color. When we receive a shipment many rods are so large that we put them aside and sell only the rods that our customers expect, which would 4-5mm, 5-6mm and 6-7mm. We gather all the shorts, thins and conicals and put them to the side for promotions or sales later on. The glass is still high quality-it’s just odd sizes.

When we put the conical on sale we did express that there were limited quantities and were only available while supplies lasted.

We had such a robust response to this sale that the glass sold out quicker than we expected. I suppose that was because the normally high priced hand pulled colors were on sale at extremely low prices. In fact, I do believe, that we actually lost money on a few of those colors, but that makes it lucky for our customers and without our customers we would not be in business. We were trying to provide a chance for folks to get a break on the prices of normally very high priced glass.

Please send me your email with the photos of the glass and we can start a dialog and quickly resolve this issue, hopefully to your complete satisfaction.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2010-05-07, 11:16am
Storm Queen

Now that's how you handle an unhappy customer.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-07, 11:25am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
I actually just received my order of conical glass and some of the HUGE rods had some pretty large black spots on the. I'm talking about about 1/2" in diameter rods of Neptune with 1/2" black spots. Im hoping this is just the nature of this glass. On one of the rods, this black spot is about 1.5" long and 1/2" wide. Im assuming this will be unusable glass? I'm also assuming that these spots were due to them laying the glass down on the wood palettes during pulling and I guess thats part of the whole "handpulled" glass part.

Never-the-less... I have never received broken or greasey glass from Frantz but I have had a few screw-ups on a couple of my orders but the were promptly corrected, which were in the form of refunds. I totally hope they rectify the problem because Frantz glass is a great place to shop for glass!! Good Luck!!
The part that is black is completely usable. You can either wash it off or it will burn off in the flame.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-05-07, 11:25am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Excellent response email Mike.

I have always gotten great service from Frantz, and when there's
been problems, they have been resolved quickly and painlessly.

Joan, I hope this works out well for you!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-07, 11:38am
thecoralcat

Thank you Mike for responding! I sent the email to the account listed on your invoice for contact. It was:
. You might want to check that account as I have still not received a response from it and my email indicates that it sent without problems. I have just resent the pictures to you at your email account listed below and hope to hear from you.

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2010-05-07, 12:55pm
Sucks at being nice

I have not had any luck getting emails to Mike but pms worked. I know it sucks to think you are being ignored. I have gotten to the point that I either call or pm all vendors. As impersonal as businesses have gotten since the internet age I had forgotten how nice (usually) it is to speak to a real person.

Old 2010-05-07, 1:03pm

Default Emails to Mike Frantz

Quote:
I have not had any luck getting emails to Mike but pms worked. I know it sucks to think you are being ignored. I have gotten to the point that I either call or pm all vendors. As impersonal as businesses have gotten since the internet age I had forgotten how nice (usually) it is to speak to a real person.
I have a new email address,

You can email me a PM or at the above email address, and if you do not get a response in 24 hours, please call me or email me again.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2010-05-07, 1:59pm
thecoralcat

Mike has responded to my email, and hopefully the problem is now resolved.

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2010-05-07, 2:03pm
FireDancer Glass

I would imagine with all the orders that he gets, 1 or 2 are going to slip on by. I have been buying from Mike for 3 years now and have always had great service and if I had any issues with the purchase, everything was taken care of immediately! He has a great track record and wonderful glass. Don't give up on him!! He will take care of you!

Christy