Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-06, 3:24pm
Brainy McSmartypants

Poking my nose into an anthill. I enjoy the sting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-12-06, 3:25pm
Smile, it's contagious!

betcha didn't realize just how sharp my stalker skills were...

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2014-12-06, 3:31pm
Brainy McSmartypants

you're a cross-platform stalker. Nice job!

Amy K

Old 2014-12-06, 3:31pm
Brainy McSmartypants

If you don't see me for a while, I'm going to subway. Don't freak out.

Amy K

Old 2014-12-06, 3:34pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I'm about to leave for the evening, so you are free to do as you please.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2014-12-06, 4:25pm

Just an fyi to anyone that had trouble with Lauscha. It anneals at 960. If you are using it with silver that anneals a lot lower. You can search past thread for more information on compatibility or incompatibility. At one time a person on this forum worked at the factory and tried to reproduce the color combinations that people were having trouble with and 99% of the time she was able to do it without any trouble with the higher annealing schedule. I have photos of some of her effetre beads that she encased with Lauscha clear using 960 for an annealing temperature.
Tom, I think it is funny that you think there is some kind of money in selling glass rods which usually don't sell until they are half off (i.e. zero profit). I have always had a "day job." And for a good chunk of the last 3 years I have been closed due to various circumstances. I recently reopened because people couldn't find what they were looking for.
I think I will go dig up those effetre encased photos and post them on FB.
Have a great weekend everyone!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2014-12-06 at 4:46pm.
Old 2014-12-06, 4:44pm

Huh. I'm glad I didn't know about any of those compatibility issues with Lauscha when I started playing with it ten years ago. I've mixed it with everything in the book except the deluxe silver colors, annealing at 960, and have never had a problem with it, except the clear, which I learned needed to go into the kiln slightly glowing instead of no glow.
Old 2014-12-06, 5:38pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Tom, I think it is funny that you think there is some kind of money in selling glass rods which usually don't sell until they are half off (i.e. zero profit). I have always had a "day job." And for a good chunk of the last 3 years I have been closed due to various circumstances. I recently reopened because people couldn't find what they were looking for.
I don't want to derail the thread, but wouldn't that be more a mark that your attempted margins were too high to begin with? Obviously there's some money to be made doing it or you wouldn't continue doing it.

|
|
Old 2014-12-06, 6:40pm
Brainy McSmartypants

See, everyone has their favorites for one reason or another and it's like you're messing with someone's CHILD if you say their glass is defective in one way or another. LOL Vetrofond had issues (I miss Vetro's regular colors, those odds could pretty much kiss mah butt), Effetre has its own (the black pits, aqua too, and the white lately is like lighting a stick of TNT), DH can be picky about being encased and takes some user effort, NO ONE can make a good pink that isn't really like walking on eggshells, CiM has some great colors but there are some incompatibility issues with those as well and their overpriced limited runs (aka, we forgot the recipe or mismeasured ingredients, pay a higher price for this one while we try again) are making me nuts. Ornela is beautiful and has some incredibly unique colors (smoky topaz, anyone??) but it's difficult to source unless you're buying in BIG bulk, though their colors are individually COE labeled so you know what will go with what. EVERY glass has issues. You just have to find the way to work with them that suits you and doesn't turn into a little cracky time bomb

Amy K

Old 2014-12-06, 8:00pm

All glass has issues. Its part of the challenge.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2014-12-07, 10:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I don't want to derail the thread, but wouldn't that be more a mark that your attempted margins were too high to begin with? Obviously there's some money to be made doing it or you wouldn't continue doing it.
Tom, I would be passing on correct information no matter what I was selling or not selling. Like you I pass on a lot of information to help people when I have it. The 960 annealing thing is still not known by many people and it could help a lot . Many people bought Lauscha glass before I was ever a vendor and never got that information. I had piles of it myself and never had that information. As for being a vendor, well, I built the business myself after I built the studio in CT myself. Both were labors of love. I don't think I am the only vendor giving big discounts.
Many business are run because the people like what they are doing not because they are getting rich. Bead makers that post on the forums that they don't make much money selling beads but they continue to do it!
Why?

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-12-08, 12:33am
Naysayer

First of all 960 is too high for glasses that I use on the daily. But, this thread is about Devardi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchbynight View Post
Devardi is shrapnel in rod form unless you really preheat it. They do have some LOVELY colors, but I find that many of the opaques devit. And I won't mix it with any other glass after the problems I had with some really nice focals with Devardi surface work... when the Devardi popped off (and I'm not a newbie, they were melted in just fine).

As for Lauscha, I'd have to keep a spreadsheet next to my torch with a compatibility list- don't encase this, or use this to encase, don't use this color with this color, this one's ok with that but not with that. And at over $20 a pound for decidedly pretty colors and nice clear, I end up tossing probably 25% of my pieces because I don't want to have to reprogram my kiln for their exclusive annealing schedule to make the glass "work for me". I have to do far too much work for IT to get it to work. Silver glass, pressed? Ha! Never with Lauscha, and do not even think of mixing Tangerine, which is a LUSCIOUS orange over or under anything. I can't even get it to not crack under Zephyr clear and that stuff plays with EVERYTHING.

As a beginner, I second that thought that you would be better coming back to Devardi later after some time learning how to control the glass when introducing it. I would hate to see someone turned off of glass work by being pelted with hot glass constantly (avoid CIM for that, too, mostly) and cracks. Start off with some nice easy to play with Effetre and then move onto the more experimental stuff
Which colors? It would be nice to know what to avoid. I still want to try some purples and pinks, but if there's anything that will cause me to rage I want to know first lol.
Old 2014-12-08, 4:40am
Brainy McSmartypants

The entire line of Devardi is shocky. If you have a rod warmer, or warm them in your kiln first, you may be ok, but every rod I used, even after being in the kiln for a few minutes, turned into pieces on my desk. There are people who LOVE it, and they're probably a lot more patient than I am, and I tend to work pretty hot, so... YMMV. I bundled my entire bunch of it up and sent it off to a friend because she liked it.

And I've been annealing my soft glass at 970 for 13 years

Amy K

Old 2014-12-08, 10:05pm
offically down under

For a newbie starting out, using Devardi glass is like learning to drive in an 18 wheel big rig. Eventually, you'll master it but the time wasted and frustration factor is reason enough to give it a miss.

Old 2014-12-09, 12:38am
Naysayer

^right, especially since it really isn't much cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchbynight View Post
The entire line of Devardi is shocky. If you have a rod warmer, or warm them in your kiln first, you may be ok, but every rod I used, even after being in the kiln for a few minutes, turned into pieces on my desk. There are people who LOVE it, and they're probably a lot more patient than I am, and I tend to work pretty hot, so... YMMV. I bundled my entire bunch of it up and sent it off to a friend because she liked it.

And I've been annealing my soft glass at 970 for 13 years
I know it's shocky, but as I put in bold, what colors were incompatible? Any pinks or purples that you recall? Huhhh, I could just buy by the rod and see. Just frustrated with messy purples costing a fortune. Plus, not sure if it's the photos or WYSIWYG but some of those colors are like tempting sirens lol.
Old 2014-12-09, 6:05am
Brainy McSmartypants

I never encased any. I used it on its own, so I'm not sure about incompatibility in general, but I do know that the darker ivory color DEFINITELY will not sit on the surface of Effetre without causing major trouble. And when it causes problems just being on the surface? It's out the door.

Amy K

Old 2014-12-09, 6:06am
Brainy McSmartypants

Are you looking for transparent purple or opaque? CiM has some great purples, and Effetre's new purples are DELISH. I use them over the brown/purple "amethyst" any day.

Amy K

Old 2014-12-10, 1:07am
Naysayer

transparent, maybe I need to look at effetre again, I didn't know there were new ones. I loved simply berry but it's like 3 million a lb now lol.

Is this one? Blue Purple http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=3165

I have a ton of what was dark ink blue since I didn't know they changed the name..I think are the violets? I never know so when I order I get it and go when it arrives.
Old 2014-12-10, 5:00am
Brainy McSmartypants

No, I have that one, but it's not as pretty as these:

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=3158

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=3154

They are VERY dark, even the light, so they need to go over white or clear or something

Amy K

Old 2014-12-11, 12:48am
Naysayer

Haha ok, those aren't new, why do you play with my feels? The last one is what I have tons of, that was Violet Ink Blue years ago. Guess I'm looking more berryish? I want this, but not the price http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=6492
Old 2014-12-11, 10:48am
Slogan Challenged...

enamels might help there, also pixie dust. You could also layer. I agree it's a PITA but less expensive options require more elbow. No advice about the layering, though. Listenup/Kitty has some neat charts....

layers
http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/mix...r%20chart2.htm

enamels
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads...r%20chart2.htm

homepage/index
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/index.html

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2014-12-11 at 10:54am.