TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Silver Glass Coe 104?
Double Helix 261 80.80%
Precision 104 11 3.41%
GT Glassworks 5 1.55%
TAG 104 21 6.50%
StrikingColor 25 7.74%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-10, 10:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
Happy Birthday!!! My absolute favorite silver is Black Nebula ( I think it's by GT) followed closely by TAG Deep Purple and DH Psyche. I have to do the reducing glasses as I cannot seem to get anything to strike on my HH very well - but it reduces just fine. As a matter of fact, I have quite a bit of Dali Lama; Tibet and a rod or so of Striking Black Cherry and a couple of others that I would dearly love to trade for some reducers to someone who could use them! Oh, also have Zeus too which refuses to produce any thunder/lightning for me....
Hey J2! Thanks for the kind words about our glass. Dalai you would have trouble with on a Hot Head, but you should be able to get something out of Tibet? That one doesn't require deep heat to get color. Do try reducing that Zeus over a dark color, and THEN striking the reduction haze until it gets more opaque. Sarah Hornik has gotten great results from Zeus on a hothead this way. For some batches, you'll need to cover the holes, but people tell me that with other batches you can get that light redux just from working it low in the HH flame. if it is still not looking as strong as you would like, try putting a dot of clear on it. That bead in my avatar, BTW, is Zeus on the sides, Tibet in the middle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-08-23, 10:51am
Addicted to Frit!!!

What a great gift!! I ditto what 'Helen T' said above: a pound of Ekho, a pound of Aurae, and a pound of Psyche. Those are my 3 favorites and the easiest for me to get wonderful colors from.

Edited: My 3 new favs are: Dk. Clio, Kalypso, & Helios.

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2011-12-16 at 2:43pm.
Old 2009-08-23, 11:47am
Ad astra per aspera

I'm mostly silvered-glass disabled (but I keep trying!) and I have to say that my favorites are DH Triton, DH Ekho (my new love) and TAG Taxco.

Old 2009-08-24, 5:41am
Lampworkings Newest!

I picked up some of the DH - "Psyche" OMG it's awesome, i have been getting some crazy colors out of it even on my HOT HEAD.
Old 2009-09-12, 6:05am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Hi caindamron,
Yes I LOVE Pshyche, it was the first silver glass I used and I too was on a HH then and I fell in love!
I ended up getting several Double Helix glass and I am awaiting some Ekho that I have ordered already.

Old 2009-09-12, 10:15am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I am completely and totally in love with TAG Deep Purple!! Thank you Jenny!

A little reduction, encase and it's the most beautiful blue-purple you've ever seen!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2009-10-02, 11:22am

I have to agree on the TAG deep purple has to be my favorite but You get such a bang for you buck with psyche and Gaia,... well it was my 1st and will always have that spot in my heart. Terranova 2 is the twinkle that glitters in the deep corner of my eye and aurue well the brain says it is a best seller. So many choices so little ...............money.

Old 2009-10-04, 7:27pm
Glassy Broad :-)

psyche... How do you work it on a HH? I can't remember, and I've a pound of it....I remember I used to get good colors from it, but not now....is it the moon or what??
HELP PLZ
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-11-07, 12:05pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

My favorites are DH Aurae, Triton and Psyche. In that order. Just can't have enough of these colors.

Ebay:
Old 2010-09-23, 12:26pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I also want to vote for Clio, because of all the yummy pinks...and then over black gives blues and green. Check the seconds bin at the DH web site for GREAT deals too. I would say If I had to be stuck on an island with only 2 it would be Clio and Pysche but I am loving kalypso at the moment. Happy Birthday
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-09-24, 7:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen T View Post
I would ask for 1 pound of Ekho, followed by 1 pound of Aurae, then maybe a pound of Psyche, and if it is available, some Aether.....that would do it for now...

Happy Birthday!!!
Exactly what I would say.
Ekho
Aurae
Psyhe
Triton
black Pearl...etc

Old 2010-09-25, 11:56am
Just Getting Started

I have had the best, consistent luck with TAG Fire Lotus. It struck the first time I made a bead. I have burned up a lot of other siler glasses with nary a good strike. So I was impressed with Fire Lotus.
Old 2010-12-10, 6:46pm
It's all about the color.

I'm guessing that since this thread was started over a year ago that Olimpia has the silver glass by now. If she hasn't, she's more than welcome to PM me and I'll let her come play at my house since we're both in the same city and she can try them out herself.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-12-11, 5:37am

I absolutely LOVE this stuff (Fire Lotus)! I like a couple of the Double Helix, one or two Precision, but over all my vote would have to be TAG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentigerbeads View Post
I have had the best, consistent luck with TAG Fire Lotus. It struck the first time I made a bead. I have burned up a lot of other siler glasses with nary a good strike. So I was impressed with Fire Lotus.
Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-12-11, 12:13pm
geekitude on two wheels

GT BLack nebula is my favorite silver glass, but I put Double helix because they have most of the rest of my top 10 list wrapped up.
Old 2010-12-12, 9:17am

Maybe you could go with some of the samplers from the Mandrel? She puts together both TAG and DH, that way you could try more!
Old 2011-12-15, 9:45pm
Entropy increasing....

DH Psyche, Helios, Aurae and Clio.

I like the DH glass because I find it the most consistent. Some of the others are nice colors, but they are pitty or really stiff or I can't count on them to be consistent.

However, I've really not used the TAG very much. So I can't really comment on it.
Old 2012-02-05, 8:46am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I bought a sampler pack of the Double Helix reducing rods, and am finding I get at least some reaction even with a Fireworks torch, and much better with a Hothead. If you go to Avenue Beads and look at shards, Joe has specified which colors are "hothead friendly", you could us that information to help pick rod colors.

(Smart on Joe's part, btw - I just ordered 10 sets of shards... sigh)

L-111

Old 2012-05-03, 6:36am

I voted for Double Helix because most colours I like come from them, but I hadn't tried TAG Fire Lotus yet. Now that I have seen that magnificent colour, I might be swayed.
Old 2012-08-14, 10:00pm
I like to melt things

I love TAG Montreux, Dalai Lotus, Fire Lotus, Deep Purple, Cezanne and Green Dalai Lama.

I love Double Helix Psyche, Aion, Elektra, Gaia, Clio and Terranova2.

I love Precision 104 Sasha's Silver, Van Gogh Caramel and Rembrandt, but I am a little afraid of them after some cracking problems and my love affair and subsequent messy breakup with Diamond Clear.

-
-
Old 2013-01-04, 11:47am
Dani

If I had to pick just one brand it would have to be DH, but I love, love, love Fire Lotus.
All of my life I have been searching for that thing that I cannot stand not to do, something that pulls me to it daily.Naturally when I finally find that thing that does indeed draw me to it (like a moth to a flame) It would of course have to involve explosive & toxic materials, fire and hot molten glass

Old 2017-09-03, 12:27pm

Default Ossa Double Helix Glass

I really enjoy Ossa by Double Helix.

You get different looks depending if you reduce or not. The left is less reduced and leaves a shimmering transparent layer, the right bead is reduced.

The rods can be a bit shocky at first, so watch out!
Attached Images

-
-

Last edited by SWCreations; 2017-09-03 at 12:32pm. Reason: signature