Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-20, 6:32am

Default Annealing other's beads

Does anyone here offer annealing for those of us that don't have an annealer?

As I understand, we could easily pack our beads up, mail them to someone, have them anneal the beads, and have them ship them back to us. Does it matter WHEN the beads get annealed?

We have maybe 150 beads we have made... most of which are not cool, but some are. If we are to give them away (so we can make more) we want them annealed.

Is anyone willing to take this type of service on? We would ship them out and include postage for the trip back. What would make it worth your while?

thanks
david and margie
Old 2008-06-20, 6:49am

I can't answer the "who does it" part, but I do know I've had mine annealed as long as 6 months after I've made them! I send mine out to Nikki, she's my bestest friend in all of explored space! I'm weird in that I dremel mine out as soon as I take them off the mandrels (most people don't)--I figure if they're strong enough to stand that, then shipping, then annealing, then re-shipping, they're REALLY good enough to use/give away/whatever & we've found any hidden stresses in there

Most folks do wait to clean theirs till after annealing though...you can do whatever you prefer. Of course, the longer you wait to anneal, the more "surprise" breakage you'll find when you go to ship them out...but...my beads aren't that wonderful yet that I worry too much about that! (if they were, I'd be more motivated to ship them faster instead of leaving them beside the sink, ha!)

Try posting in the garage sale with "wanted", or maybe in the "your own backyard" section under "pennsylvania"--you might find someone right nearby to do them for you!

Aren't beads FUN??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-06-20, 8:24am
Glassy Lady

I am happy to anneal beads for free as long as you provide return postage.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-06-20, 8:49am

I always cleaned mine before batch annealing (before I had a kiln), but I clean just with the mandrel up and down in the bead hole - I love Fusion bead release - and they're clean enough.

Batch annealing for someone else makes me nervous because of the possible breakage, but as long as you understand there's a chance some may not make it in shipping or may break during annealing - especially if you're still learning, you may not be spot-on with keeping beads the right temperature - you'll be great.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-06-20, 9:41am

We usually let our beads cool in a blanket for a few hours, then soak in water for a little and take them off the mandrels. We have some of those cheap reamers from the craft store that cleans the release off. In general, we have had a few beads break, but most of them we expected to break, either because of their larger size, or if I did something silly like put a handle on one (too thin.. I was surprised it wasn't broken in the morning).

Assuming we haven't used anything funky in terms of glass, annealing won't change the look of the bead will it? (not that it really would make a difference).

The place I go to blow glass at has annealers, but they are really more large glass production and wouldn't want to be messing with little beads.

thanks
david
Old 2008-06-20, 5:51pm

I am in MD and wouldn't mind runing them through for you but it does worry me that my kiln might decide to screw up while someone elses work is in there. I have had no problems with my own stuff but I am just learning also . If they are 104 coe and you are comfortable with 950 degrees for an annealling cycle I am game. Drop me a pm if you ae interested.

Alison
Old 2008-06-20, 9:17pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I am in Virginia. I will be glad to do them if you can't find anyone closer. pat
Old 2008-06-21, 7:12pm

Okey Dokey... we are going to take Alison up on her offer since she's almost right around the corner.

Thanks everyone
David
Old 2008-06-21, 7:45pm

David and Margie,

I'd be happy to batch anneal for you as well. I'm in NE Ohio. PM me if you'd like o send beads!

Mary