LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2011-06-29, 7:46pm

Default Tiger Bead tutorial is done!

I am so excited to announce that my latest tutorial on making tiger beads is now available in my Etsy store. My sister, Becky Mason, and I wrote an animal print tutorial in 2009, but that tutorial included a simplified method for making tigers. In my new tutorial I show you how I make them for my Etsy store.

The tutorial includes how to make the special twisties and then how to use those twisties to make a lentil, a small round bead and a focal heart. It’s 20 pages jammed packed with everything you’ll need to start making tigers just like the ones I’ve been making for years. The price is $15.

And to sweeten the deal, I’ve made five of the heart focals that I’ll be giving away to five of the first fifty people to by the tutorial.

Thanks everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-01, 12:30pm
Shine on!

Default Lots of fun!

I love Diane & Becky's tutorials! Just made my first Tiger bead and thought I would share.
Thanks so much, Diane!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-01, 12:42pm

Leah, I'm just blown away! Thanks so much for sharing. Looks like you've been making those for years.

Old 2011-07-01, 1:19pm
Shine on!

You've made it easy!

Old 2011-07-01, 3:13pm

I know I will be making these tonight!
Old 2011-07-01, 3:20pm

Carol, hope you enjoy our long weekend. I made so many twisties for the tutorial I'm on my way to the studio tomorrow to make more tigers with my CG beadroller. Gawd...I love that thing!

Old 2011-07-02, 10:17am

Default almost a tiger bead

I have made these before but I always had trouble with the stripes in the beads being different in each bead.

I made LOTS of twisties last night with your directions in the tutorial and they look great, thanks to you!

I used the smallest size twisties for these 2 beads.

I hope to make some with the colors on top today .
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-02, 11:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Woodall View Post
I made so many twisties for the tutorial I'm on my way to the studio tomorrow to make more tigers with my CG beadroller. Gawd...I love that thing!
Not as much as I love my new tutorial!!!!

I've made tiger beads yeeeears ago, but never refined them. Gesh, your tut made it all fall into place. I was missing a step in making the twisties (and I'm not telling what it is) - ya got ta get this tutorial for yourselves, it's worth the money. I envy people that can write as clear as you can.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2011-07-02, 11:08am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thank you again for making me spend money!! LOL...You know I love you. I haven't missed one of your tuts. Hopefully by the time I am off drugs, I will have memorized this one and be ready!!
Old 2011-07-02, 12:08pm

Leah sure has it down pat.

I hope to make my twisties better next time, as I LOVE the way Leah's tiger bead looks so much better than mine. I think I know what I did wrong.
Old 2011-07-02, 12:54pm

Carol, I think your beads are beautiful. As a matter of fact, you elevated the design way beyond the original tutorial, and that is what makes it so much fun to share with other beadmakers. One of the fun things I've done in the past is to case the base bead in other colors like lime green, aqua and pink.

Those are some adorable white tigers. Sure cuter than the ones I've made in the past without flowers.

Old 2011-07-02, 12:56pm

Thanks Donna and Pat. I know when I've purchased tutorials from others I've always been so pleased to learn a little secret I can use in my own work. Isn't it a wonderful way to learn new things when you can't travel to a class?

Old 2011-07-02, 7:06pm

I am looking forward to playing with mine, maybe even tomorrow...thank you Diane and Becky. It is nicely written with great pictures. I was happy to see the sale in your etsy shop so now I have the trio! Yay.
Old 2011-07-03, 5:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Woodall View Post
Carol, I think your beads are beautiful. As a matter of fact, you elevated the design way beyond the original tutorial, and that is what makes it so much fun to share with other beadmakers. One of the fun things I've done in the past is to case the base bead in other colors like lime green, aqua and pink.

Those are some adorable white tigers. Sure cuter than the ones I've made in the past without flowers.
Thank you, Diane, you are sweet!

I didn't know if I could call them tigers or not but later I will chang their name to white tigers.

They are in a treasury but I can't view it as it is private! ???

I hope it is just because it isn't ready yet, I can't see a reason for having a secret tresury.

Oh well, I made more tigers and need to get them out of the kiln before they start growling, lol.
Old 2011-07-03, 2:40pm

Default More tigers

The treasury doesn't matter because the beads sold, yay!

Here is another set plus one lone bead I made last night, I can't wait to see everyone else's:

Thanks again, Diane, for this wonderful tutorial!
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-05, 10:45am

Carol, just adorable! Love the addition of the flowers. I never thought of that, but it elevated those tigers to a whole new level!

Old 2011-07-15, 7:28pm

Default Kept Me Up All Night!!!

Diane,
I just purchased and received the package deal for the shell and animal print tutorial......Kept me up ALL NIGHT designing beads in my dreams. Thank you so much! It's a GREAT Tut!

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-07-21, 3:26pm
Senior Moment

Default Lookie, lookie

Look at what arrived in the mail today! I was one of the lucky winners of a tiger heart from Diane. I absolutely love it! Thank you Diane

I also love the tutorial. I've been making tiger beads in all different colors. They really are fun to make.

Thanks again
Lysa

Old 2011-07-21, 6:35pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Mine came today too!!! It is so very pretty, Diane. Thank you so much. We went out to dinner so I got to wear it tonight!!
Old 2011-07-25, 2:35pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I just made 2 tiger beads! They are in the kiln cooling down right now. I cannot, CANNOT, get the twisty down to the point where I can make them consistently. I am sooo twisty impaired. BUT! the beads looks stupendous going into the kiln! I hope they look as good coming out. If they do, I'll post pics! I'm excited! These are my first beads in almost a year!

as you can see, these kinda got out of hand size wise. I made them on my hothead. Have a humongous heart and two round ones out of the kiln this morning. Will post pics of them when I get them cleaned up. The heart almost fills my palm.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.

Last edited by Tillie; 2011-07-27 at 12:03pm.
Old 2011-08-01, 12:46pm

Diane,

Your little secret about the mandrels is worth 10 times the cost of the tut!!!!

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-08-01, 3:04pm

Tillie, Your tigres are awesome, especially when you said they were your first beads in a year! Holy smokes girl.

The twisties are a bit tricky at first, but if it's easier for you, you can use two punties and pull and twist with both hands. Some people find that method works better for them. As long as the construction of the gather is done properly, the method of twisting really doesn't matter.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments about the tutorial, and also about the beads you won. I took a bunch of hearts to the Gathering and traded a bunch on trade night. What fun!

Old 2011-08-01, 7:37pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

These are the only other ones I've made so far. Still have to work on both my twisty making and keeping the size down!

Old 2011-08-01, 9:07pm

I think they look great. You nailed the heart shape! Nice thing about the technique is that you can make them as light or as dark as you'd like when you add the amber. Keep posting photos. I love seeing what you are making!

Old 2011-08-02, 5:32am

I love the tutorial also. I made small round green tiger beads and turned them into earrings for my sister in law. They were so cute. I wish I had gotten a good picture of them before giving them away.

Now I'm wondering how many good color combos I can come up with for tigers.

The tutorial is excellent. It has lots of pictures, very clear instructions, and it is versatile. You did a great job Diane. Thanks.

Beth

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-08-02, 8:29am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I think this is my favorite bead to make now....especially since I married into an LSU Tigers family! LOL I've just got to get that twistie making thing down.~~~sigh~~~

Old 2011-08-03, 8:42pm

I'm so glad you all kike the tutorial. I LOVE making tigers! Tillie, believe me when I tell you that it's worth practicing the twisties. You can use twisties for so many things. I'm hoping to get a video of me making twisties on the Soda Lime Times site soon (free for anyone to see), both twisting with two hands and with one. Hopefully seeing it in a video will make it easier to do than trying to figure it out from photos. I'll make sure to post when the video is ready, but I have to get a camera first.

Old 2011-08-09, 5:14am
BabblingBeads

Hi Diane,

Finally getting around to posting some of my Tiger Stripe beads. They are a little different color combos but I had fun making them.

Name:  Tiger Stripe 1.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  Tiger Stripe 2.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  Tiger Stripe 3.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  61.6 KB
Old 2011-08-09, 4:02pm

Jill, those are awesome! I love the blue ones. It's so nice to see other artists taking the tutorial as a jumping off point and doing so many creative things with it. My tigers seem so tame by comparison.

Old 2011-08-12, 9:20am
Debra Clutter

Jill those beads are fabulous! Here is my Tiger Heart.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-