LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-05-02, 9:21am
passionate about pets

I have a question about that also.......I tryed to make a bead with Amy's tut but used colored base dots with clear over top......and in the end it didn't turn out very well.....would this be because i might have overlapped the clear too much into the last color and then it made the clear and clear dots meld together?

But that is a great suggestion....i will do what i normally do put put a clear dot over the last transparent dot i make.......should i go over the dot or just on the dot?

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-03, 1:25pm

I would try a dot of clear smaller than the one you put it on. I have not tried this so I don't really know just a guess.
Old 2009-05-03, 6:59pm
passionate about pets

cool...i will try it ,.....thanks

*StOrM*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-03, 8:27pm

Yes I love this tut !!!

Thanks Amy for sharing this with us

Lindy

Old 2009-12-12, 3:51pm
Forever Grateful Beads

Hi Storm! Sorry this post is so late in getting back to you. You know, it's hard to say what went wrong (maybe by now you've conquered it though).

A couple of things:

One, in my personal opinion, the petals look best when they're opaque with a transparent layer over it (but not just clear - an actual color).

Two, some colors just aren't made for a petal bead. I've tried to make some petal beads where I thought they were going to turn out great, and blech!!!! You just have to find the right color combos.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I WILL check back!!!

Thanks again everyone!
Amy

Old 2009-12-12, 3:55pm
Forever Grateful Beads

Quote:
Janet's bead has very concave dots of color. Mine never turn out like this but i do like the look. How does one go about making dots like this where the underneath color bends like that.

Small white dots with more color on top?
big white dots with less color on top?
same size dots?
Okay Storm! This is what you should do to get that look. Use my tutorial to guide you in how large the dots should be, and after you melt them in and you go to put the transparent layer over it (again - not clear - use a transprent color to make it look its best) don't cover the whole white spot. Leave just a fraction of white showing. And after it's all done, and you finally wrap it all in clear, it'll really pop out.

Hope that helps!
Bye!
Amy

Old 2009-12-12, 4:01pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

I think we should do a bead exchange solely based on this tut.... I can't wait to get another torch so I can do it again.

Old 2009-12-12, 4:03pm
Forever Grateful Beads

Quote:
I think we should do a bead exchange solely based on this tut.... I can't wait to get another torch so I can do it again.
I'm up for that!

Old 2009-12-13, 1:52am
I speak Murrini!

Wow, I'm finally coming full circle and just bought this tut! I've wanted to try this for long time...and am SO GLAD Amy is still offering it! Yay! Looking forward to seeing how it's done; I think I'm finally ready to try it!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-12-13, 9:41am
passionate about pets

Thanks Amy.....I have not been at the torch for a while but i will have to try this. it makes sense I will just have to be careful placing my dots

*StOrM*

Old 2009-12-15, 4:20pm
Renee

I am sad...I was thrilled to get my tutorial and got right onto it. Well the bead came out beautiful! Why am I sad?? It split into 6 pieces. The only thing I can figure is I used Lausha clear- the rest was all what was called for. I always thought that they were compatible. Or is it something else I did??

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2009-12-15, 5:07pm
passionate about pets

you have to keep your bead warm the entire time....the first few cracked n me too

*StOrM*

Old 2009-12-15, 10:28pm
Renee

Thanks! I will try again- Do you think the Lausha clear had anything to do with it?

Old 2009-12-16, 11:51am

No, I've used it successfully.
Old 2009-12-16, 10:09pm
passionate about pets

I agree with Pat. Any clear should be ok. Just make sure you keep your bead warm the entire time...if a clear cracks this type of bead then it usually does not break in pieces, it just looks cracked on the surface.

*StOrM*

Old 2009-12-17, 9:28am
Forever Grateful Beads

Quote:
It split into 6 pieces.
Bummer! That's so frustrating. Especially because this bead is very time-intensive.

I have to say though, in the long run, better to "play it cool" with this bead than let it get too warm. If it gets too warm, the petals and lines on the bead will start to shift, and you won't get those crisp, vertical lines from the petals.

How did it feel while you were working it? Did it seem like you were trying to work it on the cool side? Or did it totally surprise you that it broke? Also, did it break in the kiln?

You know, I have had a couple of beads that broke like that when I mixed Lauscha with Effetre. I know technically, it doesn't make sense, since they both have the same COE, but it was the only thing I could think of that could have made the bead crack. It wasn't clear though that I was using at the time - it was transparent peach. I wonder if there are just goofy batches or something out there - I don't know. I know it should work just perfectly.

Hope you have more luck with it - But like I said, I like that you're working it on the cool side. In the long run - once you find that perfect temp - your bead will be amazing!!!

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
Amy

Old 2009-12-17, 10:04am

Or maybe it wasn't heated enough at the very end before popping in the kiln.
Old 2009-12-17, 10:27am
Forever Grateful Beads

Quote:
Or maybe it wasn't heated enough at the very end before popping in the kiln.
Yes!!! That's a great point. Try to work it cool, but at the end, when everything is where it should be, give it a nice extra-heating up before putting it in the kiln. But obviously, just make sure that you don't set it in the kiln hot so you don't get kiln rash on the bead.

Old 2009-12-18, 2:53pm
Renee

Well thanks for all the suggestions! I believe I was working it on the cool side and then heated it pretty good in order to melt all of the casing I had put on. Yes- it broke in the kiln- is that a clue what I am doing wrong? I haven't had the time to try again yet- I wanted to make sure I didn't make the same mistake first Renee

PS Encasing is not my strong point- I had several beads crack that day. I have a Paragon SL3 and I think I may have programed my cooling down stage wrong. It works for all my beads except when I encase

Old 2010-01-01, 8:32pm

Wow, pretty beads, I will have to check back when I get some beady money to spend to get a tut.
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-01-08, 7:11pm

Just bought the tut and I can't wait! Has anyone done these in boro yet? I wonder if there would be any differences?
I have never really been a huge bead fan, I know, sad isn't it, but these are the prettiest beads I have ever seen!!!

Old 2010-01-13, 12:23pm
Xstatic

just got the tut (great, quick response -I love how you have that set up Amy) Cant wait to get to the torch and try it. I'm up for a bead exchange also. Will be out of town till February, but will check in to see if an exchange is motion (if not by then I will do it -=laffin=-)
Gail

'A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner'
Old 2010-01-13, 4:43pm
Miles from nowhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
Thanks! I will try again- Do you think the Lausha clear had anything to do with it?
I love this tut! I made three beads, exactly as instructed in the tut, but I too used Lauscha clear and they all cracked. I made two more but with moretti clear and they didn't crack. When using Lauscha, I warm the bead evenly before putting it in the kiln, I anneal at a higher tempature, and I put it in the kiln glowing. My beads still crack when combining glass.

I was whining about cracked beads on this forum, and Carolyn and a few other folks gave me advice that saved my sanity! Only use Lauscha with Lauscha. It has saved me lots of frustration.

The moretti isn't clear enough to make this bead pretty IMO- as when there are bubbles....they are so obvious. I made some with Precision, it was better, but still wasn't as clear as I wanted. I am trying to collect enough colors of Lauscha to use only Lauscha. This works for me since I have a huge stash of Lauscha clear that I need to use with something. I also ordered some Aether to use with my other 104 glass. I can't wait to try it!

Good luck!!

Kate

Old 2010-01-13, 8:26pm

Just got mine. Now have to wait for the temp. to rise enough to go to the garage and fire up! Thank you, definitely something to look forward to.

Debbie
Old 2010-01-13, 11:18pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Oh Amy shame on me!!! I purchased your tutorial just before Christmas I think. 1) I have yet to thank you, so THANKS HEAPS for finally putting this together and 2) have yet to try it
Tomorrow for sure, thanks again, it's very well written and easy to follow
Hugs
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-01-16, 9:18pm

Thank you Amy! I'm having a blast with your tutorial. Finally getting around to posting some photos.

Old 2010-01-18, 6:41am
Christine

Those are gorgeous beads - thanks for sharing - I have the tutorial but haven't tried it out yet - you have inspired me to get on it!

Old 2010-01-18, 1:50pm
Dynamic Duo

Love this tutorial! Haven't done the rainbow yet, but using the technique have been messing around with different colors. Here are the first three results.

First one done with opaque reds and yellows and striking reds and yellows for the transparent portions. The other two needed a bit more clear on the one end to cover the opaques. I think the middle one, I grabbed a softer white, maybe anise white, by mistake, as it did bloom where exposed.

Have not figured out how to get the final shape more oval or barrel shaped as opposed to round/doughnut - Michael

Old 2010-01-19, 7:09pm
Glassy Broad :-)

FINALLY!!!!
Ok, so it's only 3 different blues, but I'm happy with it.
Ok, so not really, if it were perfect, THEN I would be happy with it. SO, what does that mean? I'm happy with my progress, how's that?
(thinking I should delete all this and just start over but I'm too lazy)
Be kind ok?
Hugs
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-01-20, 5:58am
Christine

Nita: you rock!!! I need to get to this tutorial - maybe this weekend!!