Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Would you use your Bead kiln for fusing and slumping?
Yes 141 82.94%
No 9 5.29%
Maybe 20 11.76%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-05-21, 8:16pm
Glass artist tool builder

Default Any interest in mini molds for bead kilns?

Is there any interest in smaller molds for bead kilns? I make all of my test molds for a 8" Bead kiln and it works great. Post your suggestions..thats how the weaving mold started.

http://www.mikefraserprojects.com/NewProjects.html
Old 2006-05-21, 8:39pm

I love the weaving mold , but my Olympic kiln maxes at 6" sq.
Sandra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Etsy shop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-21, 8:56pm

I think there's definitely a market for small molds of all kinds - including the weaving. When i first got my bead kiln for making beads and fusing I searched long and hard for molds before opting to make my own ceramic ones (because that's what I could do). There were very few small molds available (still are).

Eventually I bought a larger kiln for fusing.

sadie

Old 2006-05-22, 5:11am

I bought my Aim kiln so I could remove the bead door and fuse/slump other projects. It is larger than the rapid fire I have (no digital controller on that one). I thought the reason I wasn't using it was size and lack of control. But at the moment it seems to be either lack of time, money or interest because I've had this kiln for a couple years and not used it to fuse. So I'm the maybe at the moment.

Cool projects. I've never had luck with kiln wash on stainless. I'd have to learn how to not ruin the form with the first use before I'd be successful.
Old 2006-05-22, 7:37am
Looking for Spock's Brain

Mike, those are exactly what I need! I'd definitely be interested.

Joyce

Old 2006-05-22, 7:50am
Feverish Little Minx

I'd be interested too!

I'm all out of clever.
Old 2006-05-22, 8:29am
Word to your mother

I have a Paragon Caldera. I don't know the inside measurements, but if it would fit I think it would be fun to try. I love fusing, what little I've done.

Old 2006-05-22, 11:37am
FireandFibers

Yes! I have a Skutt that those would fit into nicely.

Fire & Fibers Website:

Old 2006-05-22, 12:20pm
Mary Lockwood

When I chose my kiln, being able to fuse in it was one of my deciding factors. After 3 years, I still haven't even tried it, but I still WANT to. LOL

Great weave mold. I LOVE that.

~~Mary

Old 2006-05-22, 12:26pm
FireBeads

I would like to see some small molds in simple shapes for jewelry. Something that would give the glass a slight bend or curve to make it more interesting. Or also some small molds in shapes like hearts, circles, etc to fill with frit for pendants.
Old 2006-05-22, 1:20pm

The trials we did with the Aim Kiln were ideal. After the fuse and the slump, we shut the kiln off and let it cool on its own. It cooled slow enough to anneal the projects and they worked well. Great response everyone. This seems like a great way to get the most out of a kiln

Last edited by mikefras; 2006-05-22 at 1:23pm.
Old 2006-05-22, 2:40pm
Butterfly Rancher

I have a Paragon Caldera (8" square internal) which I originally bought for fusing 3 years ago. At the moment, I'm so caught up in lampworking (since December) that the kiln rarely gets used for fusing anymore. I have looked occasionally for smaller molds and have made some strange molds for bowls, etc. from Kaiser Lee board. Most likely though I'll get a larger kiln for fusing and keep the Caldera for lampworking.
Old 2006-05-23, 10:36am

I'm definitely interested; the weaving mold is really cool!

Old 2006-05-24, 7:37pm

I'm not too familiar with the different Bead kilns, if you could post or pm the sizes of bead kilns it would be most benificial.
Old 2006-05-25, 12:34am
Save the Numbats

Wow... that weave dealie: the effect, the mold, and the idea, is 'super wicked cool'.
Old 2006-05-25, 7:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefras
I'm not too familiar with the different Bead kilns, if you could post or pm the sizes of bead kilns it would be most benificial.
I have the Jen-Ken Bead anealer/fusing kiln. From what I've seen this appears to be a pretty popular model among beadmakers. I bought it because I thought it had the most 'fusible volume' (does that make sense?) in my price range. It is 6 sided, 11w x 4 1/2 h.

Here's a link CDV kiln...you'll find the specs for mine and most of other the 'bead kilns' there:

http://cdvkiln.com/menuglas.htm

Just click on the Bead, Small &PMC Kiln link
Old 2006-05-25, 5:53pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Love the weaving mold. Great idea!!!

Last edited by J. Savina; 2006-05-25 at 5:59pm.
Old 2006-05-26, 3:55am
the Evil One

I use a Evenheat Hot Box for fusing it is 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 4". So it is a really mini kiln!
Sandra

Old 2006-05-28, 8:45am
Glass my new Obsession

I would love to find interesting molds in 6 inch size.What is the weaving mold?
Old 2006-05-28, 11:32am

check out http://www.mikefraserprojects.com/NewProjects.html
These are the first of bunch of mini molds for beading kilns.
Old 2006-05-28, 12:16pm
Dangerous Woman

Oh that weaving mold looks soooooooo cool! I hope I don't sound stupid for asking but what do you use the final product ('woven glass' square) for? I mean is it an object of art in and of itself or is it a beautiful functional piece like a coaster? I have another question/comment about small molds that may be stupid as well. A friend fuses/slumps glass into heart shapes that she sells. She was asking about drilling a hole in them so they could be hung up. Since I have never fused, slumped, or taken a class or read much about doing such, my idea may be really out there. But I was thinking, is there or could there be a mold that would have some type of raised round part that would provide a hole to hang the object being made. I'm thinking as the glass melts it would melt around this obstruction and leave a nice hole in the finished piece.

Nancy
Old 2006-05-30, 11:00am

Mike,

A Big Yes!

I use an aim 84bd. I typically batch anneal my beads, so I have never used the bead door. If I ever get to move the kiln into the same room as my torch, then I'll be able to use it. I do fuse and slump and have to make my own molds from some fire brick I got a couple of months ago.

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2006-05-30, 12:39pm
Slightly Askew.....

How about a mold for cabachons?? I think it would be cool to be able to use up some of my shorts for a mold like this or something similar, maybe?

Thanks!
Char

~A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~

Old 2006-05-30, 1:36pm
Student of DachZen

I posted this in another thread and can't find it now! But my idea for a mini mold was a business card holder mold. I'd love to make my own custom business card holders for my cards.

Old 2006-06-01, 8:22pm

Just a few molds are shown here http://www.mikefraserprojects.com/BeadingKilnMolds.html
The soap dish mold and noodle weaving mold are not tested yet, I hope to have a kiln of my own soon.......I won't have to keep bothereing friends to test for me.
Thanks everyone for the response.

Last edited by mikefras; 2006-06-02 at 6:41am.
Old 2006-07-13, 3:16am

Hi Mike. Had a nice talk with Dennis's son about small molds when I was over to Victoria to pick up your glass smasher (works great!). I told him I'd bought the smallest square mold they had at Bullseye when we visited them in Portland but they didn't have much else that could fit in my kiln. He showed me a small seahorse mold they had but at this point I would be most interested in something that goes with the theme of jewelry like small bowls and dishes that people could use when they take small pieces of jewelry off like earrings.
Old 2006-08-04, 2:39pm
Dangerous Woman

So where are the mini molds?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-08-04, 2:59pm
Cheep, cheep, cheep!

Mike's holdin out on us! Come on Mike, you know we're an impatient bunch! Come on out & play.

Dana
Old 2007-01-06, 9:38pm
Dangerous Woman

Well Hell Yeah there is interest!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-01-06, 11:22pm

I woould be interested- but only in things like cabachon molds, small rod pods etc.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.