No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-22, 9:47am
Grouchy Mom

Default How to tell the difference?

We have moved about 4 times in the last couple years, and my glass got all mixed up. I had it separated, but....well...you know how that goes! Anyway, is there any means of telling the difference between Effetre and Bullseye? Or am I just up a creek without a paddle? Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

Steph B.
Old 2008-05-22, 9:57am
Glassy Lady

You can do a compatibility test for every color, it's time consuming, but it'll work. BE and Effetre are different COEs, so it's easy to tell which is which.

Melt a gather of each glass and put them on a punty next to each other, not on top of each other. Heat them until molten and pull a long thin straight stringer, about .5 to 1mm in diameter and at least two feet long. Let cool. If it bends significantly the two glasses are not compatible and you'll know one is BE and other Effetre.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-05-22, 10:28am
Looking for my waistline

You can start by sorting out the colors that are definitely BE...like the steel blue, gold purple, pink, etc.

Then look for the opaques that have that BE translucent look that Effetre doesn't have. The mint green and the powder blue should be pretty easy to spot.

You can further narrow down what you have to test by laying out all the colors you're not sure of, like the ambers. BE rods are extremely consistent in size. Anything that's too fat or too thin is not likely to be BE. Sort by color, then by sizes with each color. Again, look for that translucent look the BE opaques have.

The rest of the stuff will require testing. GACK!
Old 2008-05-22, 11:09am
yukue fumei

my BE rods are longer than Moretti

nagi

Old 2008-05-22, 8:03pm

My Be Rods Are Longer Than Moretti Too!
Old 2008-05-22, 8:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yeah, BE is 17" long.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-22, 8:28pm
Looking for my waistline

It's probably the half used rods that are giving her the trouble. That's what got me in trouble when I made the mini bombs I mentioned in the other thread....the ones with the melted tips that were hiding in my Effetre pile.
Old 2008-05-23, 9:41am

Make lots of spacers?

(I'm not being sarcastic--I've got a jar full of glass from someone who did something similar & that's exactly what I use it for--spacers, or small pressed beads--it's my PPP glass--the only thing I ever add to it is a bit of the leaded ~96coe frit--I know there's 90, 96 & 104 glass in there, but it makes great little lentils, spacers & such--& it's still fun to use--I just can't get "creative" with it--but...there's still plenty to be done with one rod & a little frit!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2008-05-23 at 9:45am.
Old 2008-05-23, 10:47am
Ellyloo-YAH!

if the glass bends, it will bend towards the higher COE (I think, unless it's the other way aruond.).

Old 2008-05-23, 3:04pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Make lots of spacers?
Amen Sistah! That's exactly what I do these days when I'm not sure if I have a stray COE rod on my table. Along with my BE and 104 scrap boxes, I have a small "mystery glass" box. It's so much easier!
Old 2008-05-23, 10:58pm
Glass-aholic

umm it melts alot different. You might try sorting out what you can and then just melting the tip. if it melts easily its 104. If it takes a bit longer, and is stiffer it is 90. (oh, i am on a HH so this answer is easy for me. 104 moves, 90 not so much..

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-27, 1:13pm
Grouchy Mom

Thanks for all the tips! Some of it I can sort just by eyeballing it, but some will need tested. (yay....) But hey, spacers are always good! T'anks, everyone!
Old 2008-05-27, 3:04pm
Glass-aholic

oh good, you are figuring it out!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: