LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-18, 10:11am

Default Does some glass crack easier than others?

I made some of the beads that have transparent glass on one half and ivory on the other. The beach/ocean look. Anyway, I often get cracks along the hole on the transparent glass. This was vetro aqua. It seems to me that the transparent cracks more easily than the opaque. Now I am batch annealing, and this crack developed after I took the bead off the mandrel, before it was annealed.

So my question is this: Is some COE 104 glass more susceptible to thermal cracks than others?

Thanks!

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cherylsart; 2008-06-18 at 10:12am. Reason: added content
Old 2008-06-18, 10:12am
Gay rights R human rights

Some dont hold the heat as well as others.....and therefore cool faster.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-06-20, 7:43am
Glassy Lady

Yes. I have made a lot of beads like that and I've found that the transparent blues and aquamarines are more prone to thermal cracking. The darker the color the worse it is. I never use cobalt on these beads any more, it always cracks. The other colors are ok as long as I put the beads directly into the kiln, as opposed to batch annealing.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-06-20, 11:33am

Anybody know why they don't hold heat as well????