Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-12, 1:15pm
boro color bender

Super sweet Pipyr!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-03-12, 3:04pm
boro color bender

I'm gonna be a thread hog too.

I am having so much fun with these guys... the way to get them "wearable" just finally clicked...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-03-12, 4:28pm
He can do the origami

Pipyr..... wow

I'll jump in on the hog wagon. I posted this in the bathroom too but I wanted it here in the boro show and tell.

Trying to make stock for the expo but my torch keeps making things I am unfamiliar with... this is the newest pendant to come out of my torch.

Otter
Old 2010-03-12, 4:29pm
He can do the origami

Pipyr..... wow

I'll jump in on the hog wagon. I posted this in the bathroom too but I wanted it here in the boro show and tell.

Trying to make stock for the expo but my torch keeps making things I am unfamiliar with... this is the newest pendant to come out of my torch.

Otter
Old 2010-03-12, 6:43pm

Wow, those fish are amazing!

I fiddled with more drips.

jgraff

Old 2010-03-13, 9:45am

This is the first time I tried a blow tube and boro. I call this "Indian Paint Pot" even though it looks more like a basket.

jgraff

Old 2010-03-13, 7:40pm

Default Two round balls...

Here are some mibs. I just tried the flower frog tech.

Last edited by Lampro1; 2010-03-13 at 7:41pm. Reason: No pics
Old 2010-03-14, 11:04am
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Pipyr..... wow

Otter
Otter, I love the way your "torch" can come up with such great and innovative designs! I try to do that but wind up getting to "stuck inside the box"! I'll have to use your success as inspiration to try, try again!

Thanks!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-03-14, 11:16am

Haven't done much glass lately, but here are some ear spikes I made for a friend-

And here is me welding with a welder I got yesterday at Harbor Freight. Normally $150, on sale for $99, but this one was marked down to $70! And then today, I find a 20% off coupon in the paper!

I'm thinking of making frit crushers and selling them. I made one for myself and it works great. I just have to buy some stock.

Speaking of frit, has anyone else heard that frit is crushed seconds? I thought it was crushed odds, but somebody told me it was seconds.

Old 2010-03-14, 11:40pm

I'd love a reasonably priced frit crusher!

Oh I would guess it is crushed seconds. Seconds are just poor pulls, right? Odds are chemically "flawed" I think (insert pic from "The Hills Have Eyes").

ETA.. I ALWAYS get that backward.. someday I'm gonna be sowwie!!

Last edited by LampworkbyLori; 2010-03-23 at 5:17pm. Reason: correction...
Old 2010-03-14, 11:41pm

I like that very much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraff View Post
This is the first time I tried a blow tube and boro. I call this "Indian Paint Pot" even though it looks more like a basket.

jgraff

Old 2010-03-14, 11:44pm

Is this supposed to be the green sparkly fins? Do they have sparkles? They look more iridescent to me. VERY beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I'm gonna be a thread hog too.

I am having so much fun with these guys... the way to get them "wearable" just finally clicked...

Old 2010-03-15, 8:03am
Bliss Junkie

odds are weird pulls, but first quality glass... seconds are off batches color wise....

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2010-03-15, 9:00am

Default Boro class in VT

Janet, you gave me the courage to post some pictures of a class I took a couple of weeks ago. Love the color in your little piece. While visiting our youngest son in Vermont I was able to take an impromptu glass blowing glass. What fun! But I sure am glad I don't do THIS for a living - give me a torch any day!

gathering the glass - my arm & face got so red

rolling on the marver (table)

pinching to make the neck of a vase

blowing to make a bubble

The end result was one broken vase on the floor and one, clear really big sort of shot glass thingy, or a really really short vase depending on how you look at it. But it was totally fun.

[/url][/url]
Old 2010-03-15, 9:26am
Pyromaniac

Where was that glassblowing class? Looks like they have a very nice shop!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-03-15, 1:19pm

Default Glass blowing class

Class was at Zimke glass blowing right outside of Burlington, VT. He's never held class before, I was his first. Guess it's his way of making up for the slow economy - but he's got more classes scheduled if you want to check into it. He makes beautiful lamps. I traded some jewelry for 2 a number of years ago. He sells all sorts of blown vases, pitchers, paper weights etc.

[/url][/url]
Old 2010-03-15, 1:22pm

Janie,

That's terrific! I always thought glassblowing looked like fun too. I got a chance to do it in a very limited way at BAGI. I didn't do the gathering, all I did was use the jacks on the gather while sitting. I couldn't believe how hot the gather was. I made a fairly pretty "flower". I am game to try again but I like my small gathers much better.

That "basket" I made was off the end of a stainless steel 5/8" tube. A much more comfortable quantity of glass.

jgraff

Old 2010-03-16, 6:49am

I would love a frit crusher!

R-118
Old 2010-03-16, 6:53am
The Venerable Bead

jeez louise those fish are cool!
I have a few boro floral implosions to show
Attached Images

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-03-16, 7:24pm
Torchaholic ;)

Great Work Everyone! Here few things I did last night, not awesome but getting better first two and last two are the same piece
Attached Images

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2010-03-17, 4:54pm

Silver fumed pendants

Old 2010-03-17, 10:16pm
Bust It Big

does anyone know where I can get a Phish pendant?
Nice work Smiley!

Name:  3-17-2010 060.JPG
Views: 795
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  3-17-2010 061.JPG
Views: 839
Size:  30.8 KB

Old 2010-03-18, 9:51am

Pipyr - Wow, just wow! I LOVE your work! I've seen you post a couple times before, and I gotta say your stuff speaks to me in a way that I don't think I've ever had art speak to me before. I'll definitely need to save up for one of your mixed media pieces! I love how they evoke a sense of eerie beauty, it really brings out the darker side of my taste. Amazing, keep doing what you're doing!

Mr. Smiley - As always, you continue to impress! You were one of the first artists I saw when I started doing boro work, and your stuff has continued to inspire me as I've progressed. If I can make stuff half as good as yours someday, I will feel like a success! I'm constantly checking out your site for new stuff, and I love everything I see. Tell your son as well that his work is amazing, he's gonna be giving his dad a run for his money pretty soon! Great job, keep up the good work!

Janie - Do you live in VT? I grew up in the Upper Valley and live in Hanover NH right now, if you're close we should GTG sometime and do some collab! Burlington is great for all kinds of glass, I'll need to look into those classes you were talking about, it would be nice to get some instruction in something other than pipemaking (which is what the overwhelming majority of glassblowers in the area do, although they are pretty amazing!)

Unfortunately I'm out of batteries for my camera right now I'll post some pics of my latest stuff as soon as I get more! Keep up the good work everyone!

Check out my Etsy shop!

Old 2010-03-19, 8:34am

Default Sure -

Wish I'd known that while I was there. My son lives on Curtis Pond in Calais, VT (tiny town), and I try to visit him once a year. Gonna try to get up that way this summer maybe for a wedding. Will get back to you then, would love to GTG. Thanks, Janie

[/url][/url]
Old 2010-03-20, 11:56am
I'm a lilac!

This show is really beautiful! Corri, I love your sculpture, and Brent, the fish ROCK!

A few sets from me:

Old 2010-03-20, 7:58pm

Kalera,

That pink and purple is gorgeous! Can I ask which rod that came from?

jgraff

Old 2010-03-20, 11:14pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraff View Post
Kalera,

That pink and purple is gorgeous! Can I ask which rod that came from?

jgraff
Thank you! That's from a cane I made of assorted unlabeled rubies that were on my bench, overlaid with an old NS odd called... I think... "purple mist" or something very like that.

I bought a huge lot of unlabeled random boro, many shorts and broken pieces, several years ago and am still in the process of using them up. I've gotten fairly good at guessing how they will react with each other, and I think you could get something similar using a deep transparent ruby with almost any transparent yellow and a stripe or two of amber-purple, pulled into a twisted cane.

FWIW I think the best education in boro color I could have had was that lot of unlabeled boro, because I had to learn from playing with it what colors might do based on what they looked like and how they reacted in the flame... never having used boro before, it was quite a learning experience!

Last edited by Kalera; 2010-03-20 at 11:17pm.
Old 2010-03-21, 7:31am
He can do the origami

That last set is stunning Kalera!

Otter
Old 2010-03-21, 12:51pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you!

Old 2010-03-21, 5:52pm

Wow, Kalera, that color is gorgeous! If the picture is that gorgeous, I'll bet it's drop-dead amazing in person!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!