Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-02-09, 11:56am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default I finally am set up with my new torch

hoses, regulator , oxycon etc etc

I think.

I am nervous.

I am alone here setting things up, taking it very slowly.

I got an acetylene regulator. I was told by a few that this would be fine, let's hope so.

I just am not sure of my connection from the regulator to the propane tank. I am not sure if it should be connected deeper. I again will attach a photo.

I am not excited yet as I expect crap to go wrong still. It always has lately......but I am trying to be positive.

Can someone please tell me if this regulator is connected to the propane enough or does it need to go further? It does not seem to want to budge. It tightens to the left and loosens to the right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-09, 1:04pm

That doesn't look quite right to me. One thing is to mark how far you have the regulator screwed in now. Then remove it. Measure from the rim of the tank fitting along the inside threads until you contact the sealing surface. Then compare that to the thread length on the regulator until your mark. You don't need numbers, just a mark on something like a toothpick or wood skewer. It seems to me that it won't be close.

Can you take a picture of the inside of the propane tank fitting and the regulator connection? It probably won't give any more information, but it might.

The regulator fitting looks like it is straight and not cross threaded.

Anyway, it doesn't look right, but don't use force to try to screw it in just yet.

If you want to try again, unscrew the regulator. I know it tightens counter-clockwise, but try turning clockwise a couple of turns. You aren't trying to get the threads to mate here, but sometimes this helps the beginning of the threads to find each other and also gives a feel for alignment so you aren't cross-threading. Then engage the threads by turning counter-clockwise. I don't have access to a tank right now, but I would guess that you should get three to five turns before it starts getting tight.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2010-02-09 at 1:41pm.
Old 2010-02-09, 1:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The reg looks slightly cross threaded - back it out and try again.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-09, 2:15pm
Alaska Boro

Default Tank

Looks, as others said that it is cross threaded. This is an image of how it should look.

Old 2010-02-09, 3:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

Unless it is different in Canada, loosen is left, tighten is right.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-09, 4:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Propane tanks are reverse threaded.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-09, 5:02pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Don't forget to get a bottle of soapy water and spray the connections to check for leaks.

Old 2010-02-09, 5:13pm
Never give up

Deb I was going to suggest that. Hope everything is going well. Let us know.
Old 2010-02-09, 5:30pm
one day at a time

Are you trying to hand tighten it, or are you using a wrench? I suggest using one of those adjustable crescent wrenches. They are perfect for this, and I know if anyone takes mine I have a real big fit!

Undo it, and try again slowly and you will know you have the threads right if you can turn easily with the wrench after you can no longer hand tighten it. Easily all the way up to the point where it's tightened, and just a bit more until it's tightened all the way. Most women's hand strength using a wrench isn't going to over-tighten. (My DH has over-tightened it!) But it should look straight and all the way in like the photo Alaska shows you.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-09 at 5:36pm.
Old 2010-02-09, 5:32pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I agree with Lisi - once you get it threaded correctly and get it as far as you can by hand, you will want to use a wrench to tighten it the rest of the way.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-09, 5:33pm
Jacqueline Parkes

It's all good here now peeps. Thanks for everyone's input. I got some phone help and redid the connection to the propane tank.

One other question though. Why would I get a big POP when I go to light the torch with my striker? Too much propane?

Old 2010-02-09, 5:35pm
Tweedle Dumb

Is your oxy on when you light it... that would make it pop

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-02-09, 5:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yep - turn the oxy off at the torch when you light it and then turn it back on as soon as it is lit.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-09, 5:38pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I was pretty sure it was off but I will make a note of this

I am going to try right now actually but earlier when I tried four times, each time it went POP! kind of startling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Is your oxy on when you light it... that would make it pop

Old 2010-02-09, 5:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It's not bad or going to cause any damage, it's just loud.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-09, 5:49pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I was pretty sure it was off but I will make a note of this

I am going to try right now actually but earlier when I tried four times, each time it went POP! kind of startling
Before you light, make sure both torch valves are off, and feel in front of the torch face with the back of your hand to make sure you had the valves turned in the right direction. Light propane first, get your 2-3 inch candle flame, then slowly open up your oxy. Adjust a little of each until you get a neutral flame with blue candles. Yellow or yellow feathery tips are too much propane, and a hissy narrow blue flame is too much oxy.

Once you get used to adjusting your flame you will be learning reduction flames and all that to get certain effects, like from the silver glasses, etc. Also using a little more oxy for certain frits like the pinks, golden yellows and apricot/peach colors to keep them from reducing and keeping the colors bright.

When you go to turn the torch flame off, oxy first, then the propane.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-09 at 5:52pm.
Old 2010-02-09, 7:02pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh growing pains...........so much fun. I took a much needed rest this afternoon and now I am trying to get to know my new toy.

Anyone know why my silver glasses are reducing to black?

I am really enjoying the peace and quiet with this new torch......it is so calming.

Old 2010-02-09, 7:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

too much propane

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-09, 7:49pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ha, how did I know you were going to say that?

Trying again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
too much propane

Old 2010-02-10, 10:16am
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay back here to bug you all. I only post questions here daily as I learned the hard way some months ago that working by yourself without asking for help can get you stuck in some spots that waste a great deal of time.

My colors are turning out very blah and I have a sneaking suspicion I have no idea what I am doing, wink wink.

First of all , these are my settings:

Oxycon : 4.5 , I have had it at 5 too but I saw no difference in the colors.

Propane regulator: 8.5, I had it set at 5 before and there was no difference in colors.

This is how I light my torch:

1. Turn on oxycon and open oxygen valve slightly so alarm does not go off. I let it run for a few minutes and then turn off the oxygen valve.
2. Open the valve of the propane tank all the way.
3. Adjust the regulator to the setting of your choosing
4. Turn the propane valve on the torch slightly
5. Light torch with striker ( I sometimes get a LOUD noise)

This is where I get confused.......if I am not already lol. I don't know how high to have the flame with just propane before adding oxygen and when I add oxygen , I seriously do not see a difference in the flame. I remember when I rented the two hours at the studio that I did see a difference in the flame when adding the oxygen, if I remember correctly.

I do know that oxygen is getting to the torch as when I have only the oxygen valve open I can feel the oxygen coming out of the end of the torch.

I think I will go light the torch and take some pictures of the steps to give you all a visual.

Old 2010-02-10, 10:38am
Jacqueline Parkes

This is the flame after turning the propane valve on the torch slightly. I did get a pop and then I had to turn down the flame a bit.

This is the flame after adding oxygen . If I add even more oxygen by turning the valve a lot, I get this weird red flame so I turn it back down. I see no difference at all in either of the flames. Before and after adding oxygen.

Old 2010-02-10, 10:48am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that first flame has oxy in it. that's what caused the pop. I thought that was mentioned in another thread?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-10, 10:50am
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes I realized it was mentioned but that flame is with the oxygen valve on the torch completely off. That is why I am confused.

Quote:
that first flame has oxy in it. that's what caused the pop. I thought that was mentioned in another thread?

Old 2010-02-10, 10:52am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

try turning it further off - that flame DEFINITELY has oxy in it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-10, 10:54am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

this thread

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153362

has a pic of a torch flame with NO oxy in it. All torches pretty much have that same flame with just propane.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-10, 11:07am
Jacqueline Parkes

That picture helped a lot and you know what? The oxygen valve turns the opposite way of the propane so I have been using it backwards, ack!

Is that normal on torches?

Old 2010-02-10, 11:11am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I've never used a mini CC, but my minor and cricket do not work that way. I would post that question specifically for a mini CC in a bathroom thread so other MCC users will see it and answer. That seems really odd to me.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-10, 11:24am
Jacqueline Parkes

Why in a bathroom thread?

Ya it does seem odd to me too, no wonder my confusion.

Quote:
I've never used a mini CC, but my minor and cricket do not work that way. I would post that question specifically for a mini CC in a bathroom thread so other MCC users will see it and answer. That seems really odd to me.

Old 2010-02-10, 11:26am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

so people will see it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-10, 9:16pm

have you fixed your flame? (After you light it with the oxy off) Looking at picture two, I think you need to turn up the oxy until that raised bit in the middle is gone. Your candles should be flat. You'll see what I mean when you turn the oxy up & down. Yes, the oxy & propane turn in opposite direction.

Are you sure the Minors & Crickets don't turn the opposite direction? I could have swore they did when I used them. But it's been a while since I've been on either.