Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-07, 12:33pm
Living Life Creatively

Default Best Caramel Color for Faux Candies?

Hi, all!
I'm having a hard time finding the perfect "caramel" colored glass for my faux chocolate beads and was wondering if anyone has their favorite color to recommend? I'd like to stay with 104 COE, but could also use 96.
Thanks so much! *Ü*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Old 2014-02-08, 1:33am
Glass-aholic

I like ask Carmel apple.. But it's a bit hard to come by now I think, or you have to get it from kulger, but the names have changed. It can go silvery pretty easily and will vary in color based on heat and length of flame working too that's why I love it. So maybe not the best for chocolates..

I have not tried these, but I thought of them, so I bought I'd share

Might try this Carmel from Olympic color rod the newer reichenbach 104 line.
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=120&pID=1788

Or divardi has a dark Carmel
D155 - Opaque Dark Caramel. Down this page...
http://www.devardiglass.com/glass.htm

And lauscha Caramello came to mind but I think it goes kindda pink sometimes.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-08, 7:14am
Lampworkaholic!

Jaci nailed it, Reichenbach Caramel is awesome.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-02-08, 2:10pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

CIM Pumpkin Unique #1 ... odd lot I think it was though! Let me know if you find any anywhere as I can't!!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2014-02-08, 2:29pm
Living Life Creatively

Smile

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I think I have some of the Kugler caramel Apple equivalent around here somewhere to try, and if that doesn't work I'll order some of the Reichenbach. I love a good excuse to try new glass!
-
-
-
Old 2014-02-08, 8:37pm

If it's still in stock, try the COE 104 Butterscotch on Frantz' website. It needs heated and cooled for deeper color, and has the sort of translucent look real caramel candy does. It's a little shocky, so beware. Also, some of Devardi's ivories and browns would work, but you can't really combine them with other glass to make chocolate-covered caramels.
Old 2014-02-09, 9:25am
Glass-aholic

Why can't you combine divardi with other glass? I thought it was 104?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-09, 9:38am

ghee can also be a caramel color if worked for awhile
Old 2014-02-09, 3:12pm

Divardi has compatibility issues, even within its own colors. Not always, so experimenting might uncover good glass combinations. It's just that I've lost a number of beads to incompatibility issues. I still love some of their colors.
Old 2014-02-11, 12:39am
Living Life Creatively

Thanks, CheriB!
-
-
-
Old 2014-02-11, 6:39pm

Lori,
I thought of another glass for caramel -- Lauscha caramello. It may blush a little pinky in spots, but it's a great caramel color. I saw it on half-price sale last week at $15/lb instead of $30. Check out firelady and/or flamedame. If I find the site, I'll post it here.

Ok, found one place with it half off: http://firelady.com/products.asp?cat=17. ABR has it at their regular price; flamedame's site is down for maintenance, but that's where I saw the sale before.

Last edited by CheriB; 2014-02-12 at 12:15am. Reason: found a source
Old 2014-02-11, 7:37pm

Effetre Sandlewood might be nice. It's a bit striated but if you mixed it up and pulled it out I think it would be a very nice caramel.

Old 2014-02-12, 5:57am

For me, the perfect caramel color is good old Effetre 444 Light Brown. I know, it's not all that fancy, but it's rich and delicious-looking. Maybe encase it in CiM Maple for depth?

Old 2014-02-12, 5:21pm

I second Kandice's suggestion. Also, for a very dark caramel color, I love to encase Venetian Sunrise with transparent brown. If you cook it a while, the VS goes a gorgeous rich burnt sugar brown all by itself, which initially surprised me because it looks greeny poo-like in the rod form.
Old 2014-02-12, 8:54pm
Living Life Creatively

Thanks, guys! I will have to give all those a try and really appreciate the help!
-
-
-
Old 2014-02-13, 2:35pm

We have Caramello at half price but I am away until the weekend or early next week!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-02-15, 7:56am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Pumpkin Unique, yes! It's still out there, it's just pricey compared to "normal" glass. There was an off batch of brown 444 that would have worked and about a 15 year old batch of mustard. I got some from Kate Fowle Melaney.
Old 2014-02-18, 6:06am
hyperT

Stained Glass cut in thin strips COE 92 to 96
Old 2014-02-19, 9:11am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Stained Glass cut in thin strips COE 92 to 96
If you do that, the stuff marked as being for fusing will be the most reliably compatible. Be sure to check COE.