Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2006-03-29, 8:17am
ManBearPig

Yeah. I have dual 21" monitors on my computer here. I have to keep reminding myself that not everyone else does. I'll design a page here and it looks great, and then when I look at it on my laptop, it's freakin' huge!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-29, 10:07am

Default Questions????

Hi,
I'm a newbie as far as computer stuff. I know nothing about building a website for my beads. And to be honest don't have the funds(hubby disabled)and I have to stay home to take care of him. So having a website built professionally is out of the question.
So to get to the point is where is a good book to learn how to do this? It is all new to me. I want to learn so we can have extra funds.Working outside of our home is out of the question .
Is there a book out there to walk me thru all of this?
I have taken notes from everyone and they have been a blessing to me. Cause I had no idea where to start.
I want to Thank everyone for sharing what you know . Because it helps folks like me.
Janet
Old 2006-03-29, 10:14am

Sorry Mike I didn't mean to interupt your thread. I put it in the wrong one.
I like your webpage especially the industrial look. Best wishes on your website.
Janet
Old 2006-03-29, 11:22am
Glass artist tool builder

I used the templates that were available on yahoo site builder. I am gradually figuring out how to tailor the pages to suit my needs. I sure appreciate all of the help on design and material that makes the site "pop". Still have a ways to go but it will eventually get there. So Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions and tips coming, it helps us all when you share your knowledge and experience.

Mike
Old 2006-03-29, 11:23am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie
Hi,
I'm a newbie as far as computer stuff. I know nothing about building a website for my beads. And to be honest don't have the funds(hubby disabled)and I have to stay home to take care of him. So having a website built professionally is out of the question.
So to get to the point is where is a good book to learn how to do this? It is all new to me. I want to learn so we can have extra funds.Working outside of our home is out of the question .
I have taken notes from everyone and they have been a blessing to me. Cause I had no idea where to start.
I want to Thank everyone for sharing what you know . Because it helps folks like me.
Janet
Pick up one of the "Websites for Dummies" or "HTML for Dummies" books. That will tell you what you need to know to get a basic site up and running. Web site building is really very simple. If you can type a letter or make a post on this message board, you can do web sites.

Old 2006-03-29, 11:29am

Thank you Chad on the suggestion of the books. I will do that. I appreciate your help.
I'm off to the bookstore...
Janet
Old 2006-03-29, 1:06pm
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie
Hi,

Janet
I highly reccommend this book: Creating Web Pages with HTML Simplified.
by Maran Graphics. The entire book leads you step by step and it is ALL pictures of the computer screen so you can see what they're talking about as you do it. I have the 2nd edition. It was published in 1999 but it seems to be current enough. Maybe someone who knows better can correct me if this is not true.
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-03-29, 2:36pm

Thanks Jennifer for the info on the book. I just got back from bookstore getting HTML 4 for Dummies. But I will check the book you suggested out too. I appreciate your help, I'm a very visual person when it comes to computers. Thanks again
Janet
Old 2006-03-29, 4:05pm

You can also take a look at these two links for more info.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...tool/html.html

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/h...le.php/3478141

shari

Old 2006-03-29, 6:59pm

Thank you Shari for your help too. I will check these out . I appreciate everyones help , you all have been very helpful. I had no idea where to start.
Thanks again
Janet
Old 2006-03-29, 8:55pm

I certainly didn't expect this much feedback, it sure helps and points us newbie website creators in the right direction.

Mike
Old 2006-03-30, 7:09am

for a minimal fee there are sites like homestead. They will provide all the buttons, code, fonts, background, ect. I built a site yrs ago with it and had no experiance with web sites when i started, it took me a lil time but i got a store front up and even generated sales! O' Im in no way cpu friendly.
B
Old 2006-04-05, 7:53pm

What a wealth of info on one thread, now if I can just figure out how I did the letters in my logo question, I will be set....I think......COSMO..........Help. I like the red and chrome, but cant remember how is did it
Old 2006-04-05, 9:19pm
Give to receive...simple.

Thank you everyone, I'm learning too..

Old 2006-04-06, 12:17am

Default Mike..for you if you like it

I was bored and playing in photoshop and tried to make a metal grid.
It's a large file but I brought down the quality to show you here..
If you like it and think it might fit in to maybe a header for your page or even a background (with opacity brought down) I'll send you the file and you can have it if you want.
Or you can throw it away.
It just kind of fit into the metal aspect of your page.
Irene
Old 2006-04-06, 6:53am

Now thats cool, I think it would make a great background. how did you do that, if you dont mind, please send it to me.

Mike
Old 2006-04-12, 9:23pm

Thanks Irene, It took a while but I managed to make it lighter for a background..........way better than the grey or the clouds.

Mike
Old 2006-05-12, 5:44am

Mike, I LOVE the industrial look of the website, especially your new grid background! It fits so well with what you do, and the products you sell! Great job!

I would like to suggest that you change your page sizing to 100% instead of actual sizing as you have it set currently (width="993") The reason is that people use many browser window sizes and have different screen sizes. Using 100% will enable them to tile smaller windows and still see much of your page (it will expand and collapse as they resize the window), and use a larger screen and have it fill the space compfortably! GREAT job on the site tho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefras
What makes a website pop? Mine is pretty boring, any ideas? Now its "Help"

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-05-12 at 5:53am.
Old 2006-05-17, 6:41am

Great suggestions..Just have to figure out how
Adding a New project page generated a ton of interest, The weaving mold trials had over a thousand hits the first weekend and the candle bridge was added last night.....another 300 views yesterday alone. Similar to a BLOG but...different. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone
Old 2006-05-17, 7:30am

I laid out print ads for a living and I don't think web sites are all that different. Personally, I think you should group all of your tools into one "group" shot for the front page instead of a blank/design background. This page is the first one someone will see. If they're on dial-up and can't see what it is you sell right away, they'll leave. Set up the shot like you're an engineer (which you are) in the middle of doing mechanical drawings. Lay down a big old sketch pad, a compass or some drawing tools and arrange the tools on top of this. The pad and props are a suggestion of a theme, don't let them overpower the product.

just my .02
Old 2006-05-30, 6:58pm

Finally got a 19" monitor...........I did not realize how much I missed
Old 2007-01-26, 1:02pm
& your rubino rod too!

thank all of you for collecting this