Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:05pm

Laura, depending on what type of site, you may not need any code. I have access to a computer guru.
Old 2009-10-28, 1:11pm
Disconnected

Bring on the computer guru!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-28, 1:22pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Count me in !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:27pm

Ditto!
Old 2009-10-28, 1:34pm
Experimentalist

Way cool... and yes, let's find your computer guru... we all (the co-op members so far) have a lot to discuss.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:35pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenMuse View Post
beadartist.org already has an exclusively lampwork site... and I don't want to publicly discuss some ideas I've been throwing around for an artisan site at this stage but, I think, it has to be different.

ETA: On a purely personal level, I do wirework jewellery as well. I don't want to have to have two different places to list my art. If I did paintings, I'd want a single venue that I'm comfortable at, know how to work and access, agree with the premise for its existence etc. Others may feel the same way. There are lots of people here at LE who dabble in creative aspects that aren't exclusive to lampwork. Having said that, any site can be designed to "appear" to be exclusively one type of product offering but have various sections. (I need to stop typing now)

I was thinking about this too. My initial idea is to start with:
Jewelry
Beads (lampwork, metal clay, etc)
Findings (handmade, or course)

Then we could branch out into other areas if enough sellers/products are there... nothing is set in stone at the start.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:39pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

For those of you that don't know -1000 Markets does not allow the sale of lampwork beads. They consider beads themselves to be supplies (I explained to Matt that some people just collect beads as art - but he said jewelry only, no supplies).

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2009-10-28, 1:43pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda's Beads View Post
For those of you that don't know -1000 Markets does not allow the sale of lampwork beads. They consider beads themselves to be supplies (I explained to Matt that some people just collect beads as art - but he said jewelry only, no supplies).
Oh, that IS interesting. I think anything that is handmade is handmade. Lampworked beads are above and beyond 90% of what I see on 1000 markets if you take into account skill, specialized knowledge, time and other factors.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:43pm
Experimentalist

And if it were a "jewelry only" site, that would make more sense... but my god have you SEEN the categories over there?

Old 2009-10-28, 1:51pm
Hello?

Quote:
Laura, depending on what type of site, you may not need any code. I have access to a computer guru.
No code and you have a blank website lol

Old 2009-10-28, 1:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
Heh. You're so funny....

I meant, no CUSTOM code There's a bunch of stuff in existence that can be acquired and tailored.
Old 2009-10-28, 1:55pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
ROFLOL... I didn't even notice that. I'm GUESSING she meant I wouldn't have to do html... so many things are template driven these days.

But I really do think someone would have to write code... it's not just a website for one seller... it's a monumental task website.

Old 2009-10-28, 1:55pm

Computer guru is in a meeting. I'll let you know what he says when he gets back to me.

I just downloaded some auction software (it's auction software but has the ability to use a fixed amount - don't be turned off by the term) and am testing it (in between fetching popsicles for the sick girl).

Last edited by Torch&Marver; 2009-10-28 at 1:56pm. Reason: clarity
Old 2009-10-28, 2:01pm
Experimentalist

Cool.

Old 2009-10-28, 2:06pm
Hello?

There are several "mall" type software packages out there. All open source. No matter how you slice it, your going to need one or a group of coders to tailor it and keep it updated for security patches and the like.

I'm proficient in HTML and know my way around PHP and databases. So if you get this going I would be happy to lend a hand.

Old 2009-10-28, 2:09pm
Experimentalist

Yes!

'Cause that's the part I didn't want to have to learn AT ALL!!!

Old 2009-10-28, 2:41pm

Sure, now that I understand we're not talking about a custom written program, I agree! Tailoring it is not that difficult. I've been working on tailoring an online community since about August and have been immersed in open source software. It's not my favourite thing to do (I'd rather be melting glass LOL) but I can help too.
Old 2009-10-28, 2:41pm

I don't have a outside job so would be happy to help police and do other things. I don't know html but could learn if someone wants to teach me. I would love to be involved

Old 2009-10-28, 2:44pm
Hello?

Quote:
Sure, now that I understand we're not talking about a custom written program, I agree! Tailoring it is not that difficult. I've been working on tailoring an online community since about August and have been immersed in open source software. It's not my favourite thing to do (I'd rather be melting glass LOL) but I can help too.
Aint that the truth!

Old 2009-10-28, 2:47pm
Experimentalist

There would be SO many jobs to go around.

Here's how I'm envisioning it at the moment:

A certain amount of primary members to handle: website, admin, treasurer, etc

These people would split the bulk of any profit and expenses.

And then a bunch of other members who have "some" time but not "too" much... could be enlisted as site auditors.

These people would get perks (free listing, no fees, stuff like that).

I'm not in it for the money, but I don't want too much out of pocket expense either.

I'm mainly trying to satisfy a pipe-dream of a nearly ideal place to list stuff.

Old 2009-10-28, 2:54pm
Experimentalist

Because of the positive response received so far, we've decided to give it a go.

Discussions will now be moving off of LE. Please send me your email addie to be included in the start-up project if you're interested in helping.

Old 2009-10-28, 2:54pm
Creatrixie

Smile I'm interested....

Hey Laura,
I'm interested...and I do illustration as well. (photoshop's my computer program of choice)
I'd be happy to show you some samples of my work to see if you think I could help with making this thing look great!

Here's some links to a few more samples of some of my Art:
Cute "Chibi"
Dogs Sample...(got me some work with "Dogs in Canada" magazine)
Page from a kid's book that I illustrated

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-10-28, 2:59pm
Experimentalist

Thanks. All help is welcome. I'm compiling a list now or names and possible duties.

Old 2009-10-28, 3:21pm
Hello?

Merry! What aren't you good at!? lol Love the illustrations.

Old 2009-10-28, 3:52pm
Experimentalist

Still need email addies for:
Londa (Feldt's Glass)
Linda Campbell (swamper)
(glassymom)
(Debb)
Ruth (Torchie)
Kathy (Katie Gee)
Fanny (Fannydotson)
Joe (AvenueBeads)
Lori (Bead crazy)
Leah Nelson (LeahBeads)

And... I may as well mention this now... I know sometimes things get tense on LE... all the different personalities and such, but there will be no drama in this project. Thanks.

Old 2009-10-28, 3:57pm
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
there will be no drama in this project. Thanks.
What! count me out then

Old 2009-10-28, 4:01pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
What! count me out then
Good thing dorks are allowed.

Old 2009-10-28, 4:04pm
Hello?

Old 2009-10-28, 4:06pm
Experimentalist

Ha ha ha!

OMG, I can be so entertained by emoticons... sigh...

Old 2009-10-28, 4:44pm
Against the Grain

I like this idea and would love to help. I'll PM my email addy.