Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-01-22, 7:34pm

Default Experiences with Intuit, Coffe cup and other web design software?

I am researching web design sites and software. Does anyone have any comments on Intuit? I have seen some not so stellar reviews on amazon, but I am currently playing around with the trial version.

I am looking to create my own website and I have used Frontpage in the past. I am looking to upgrade and I need something fairly easy to use and quick to design as I am limited on funds and time. I already have a domain and have paid for hosting with yahoo--just no website yet. Also I am looking to create and info/portfolio style site, so I do not need a shopping cart at this time. I am open to suggestions on any website design software (I would like to find something with a variety of customizable templates).

I have also downloaded trials and have experimented with coffecup, MS Expressions, dreamweaver, and sitespinner. Any input would be helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-22, 8:57pm
extreme novice

I have sitespinner which cost 50.00.
Donna in KC
Old 2010-01-25, 11:03am

I've played around with several website builders and did not like the outcome. There are a couple other considerations.

Get a web editor, even a free one like HTML-Kit, (I use Coffee Cup HTML Editor) and Start from scratch, using templates that are available for free. If you plan on a long web presence, this will pay off over the long haul. My main site contains about 260 pages and it costs me under $60 a year, and my domain name is renewed for free.

Another consideration is a Wordpress Blog as a web site. They are easy to build, free templates galore, many features and a short learning curve. My second site is a Blog as a Web Site. I use 'Pages' to create static pages, like my shopping cart tutorial, and categories to drill down to specific topics. Google looks at each post as a unique web page, so with good SEO management, you can get ranking quickly.

Steve

Old 2010-01-25, 6:04pm

Mac or PC?

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2010-01-26, 12:30am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleycat71 View Post
I am researching web design sites and software. Does anyone have any comments on Intuit? I have seen some not so stellar reviews on amazon, but I am currently playing around with the trial version.

I am looking to create my own website and I have used Frontpage in the past. I am looking to upgrade and I need something fairly easy to use and quick to design as I am limited on funds and time. I already have a domain and have paid for hosting with yahoo--just no website yet. Also I am looking to create and info/portfolio style site, so I do not need a shopping cart at this time. I am open to suggestions on any website design software (I would like to find something with a variety of customizable templates).

I have also downloaded trials and have experimented with coffecup, MS Expressions, dreamweaver, and sitespinner. Any input would be helpful!
I used Frontpage in the past and recently remodeled my site using Microsoft Expression Web. It felt like home because it's still set up similar to FP. I'm happy.

Old 2010-01-26, 7:11am
ManBearPig

There are two choices: Dreamweaver, or everything else. And everything else is way behind...

Old 2010-01-26, 11:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
There are two choices: Dreamweaver, or everything else. And everything else is way behind...
LOL. Dreamweaver is Da bomb! Kind of pricey for some though! Still trying to figure out the new stuff in CS3

Old 2010-01-26, 7:41pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a PC. Currently playing around with a dreamweaver trial -- but Dreamweaver is a bit out of my price range (which is a bummer I know!)

Old 2010-01-27, 7:01am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
LOL. Dreamweaver is Da bomb! Kind of pricey for some though! Still trying to figure out the new stuff in CS3
CS4 has a lot of new stuff that CS3 doesn't. My favorite feature is being able to split the screen vertically...

Old 2010-01-27, 8:28pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I use Homestead for my website which is Intuit . . . . I love it!!

Old 2010-01-28, 11:19pm

Default Wordpress and KompoZer

I would use Wordpress. You don’t have to mess around with a FTP program, you can access it anywhere, and there are a ton of free plug-ins and themes. Wordpress can be tweeked so it doesn’t look like just a blog. You should see if you can install it on your Yahoo account.

But if you can’t I would recommend using “KompoZer.” Acctuly even if you you can I would still get it. It is a free open source html editor. Even though it’s free it is a great program that has:
  • Wysiwyg editor
  • Html editor
  • CSS editor
  • Built in FTP
  • And more.

You can download it here http://kompozer.net/

I checked out Youtube and there are plenty of tutorials on there to get you started. I found a guy who put together a 12 part series on how to use KompoZer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=balaIg2aLkg

It's not the Camera that takes the photo, it's the photographer.
Old 2010-01-30, 12:24am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_H View Post
I would use Wordpress. You don’t have to mess around with a FTP program, you can access it anywhere, and there are a ton of free plug-ins and themes.
You don't have to mess around with an FTP program with any software if you work live on your server.

Old 2010-02-01, 12:54am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
You don't have to mess around with an FTP program with any software if you work live on your server.
Or if you have a server available that you can play around on live and copy and paste to the server where your website is. - I still write html by hand, typing tags, etc. -
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-02-01, 10:10am
ManBearPig

Quote:
You should never work live on your server.

Old 2010-02-01, 10:19am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
You should never work live on your server.
Ya gotta give me more than that. Why not? I've been doing it for maybe 7 or 8 years. It was recommended to my by the tech support people for my web host. I love it.

Old 2010-02-01, 5:55pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Ya gotta give me more than that. Why not? I've been doing it for maybe 7 or 8 years. It was recommended to my by the tech support people for my web host. I love it.
Because if edit it locally then upload it, you have a layer of protection. If you really mess something up on your local files and you can't get it fixed back, you can just download the files from the server and start over.

I can't believe anyone would ever recommend it to someone...

Old 2010-02-01, 6:00pm
Storm Queen

I'm working live on the server through my software. It still offers a layer of protection because you can "undo" something if you did it wrong. Even if you hit "save" you can still go back in steps. It's really not all that scary.

Old 2010-02-08, 4:58am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
I use Homestead for my website which is Intuit . . . . I love it!!
Me too! I've had it for years!

Old 2010-02-12, 5:38pm

I recently set up an Intuit website ... very easy, lots of choices for templates etc.

I'm still fidding with it, but it was the easiest most professional way to go for the cost that I found at the time. I had had previous experience with the homestead web system ...

Old 2010-02-16, 10:18pm

I just switched my web hosting from Yahoo to Intuit and could not be happier. I love the Intuit software - it's really easy to use, even for a total webpage newbie like me! I just wish I had done it sooner.

Old 2010-02-18, 8:09am

Wordpress is a great choice. Most hosting plans have easy (like click a check box) installation & there's tons of templates to choose from. Its also easy to find a professional to help you if you get stuck or want something done that you can't figure out. Because it is a blog, all your content is stored in a database. You don't have to worry about uploading files, you just log in & post.

Editing files on your server is pure foolishness. You'll learn sooner or later when you make some irreversible mistake like deleting something critical. Plus, even though it looks like just another folder on your computer, you are accessing the files over the internet, and if your computer dies or you want to edit stuff from someplace else you'll need the log in info. Its very easy to set up a local server on your computer & get everything spiffy, then upload to your real server.

But you don't really have to deal with all that uploading stuff if you use WordPress, or Blogger, or whatever.

|
Old 2010-02-19, 11:34am

I used Avanquest's Web Easy Pro 7 software for my site. Sells for about $50.
Its basic and easy. I want to overhaul/update my site now (in a major way) so I am leaning towards something professional.

Duane
PS hey Irene, Chad, Anyone like to send me a pirated copy of the dreamworks

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-02-19, 5:09pm
No longer a Member

http://www.otherpeoplespixels.com

TRUST ME!

look at my new site......then go make your own!

Time consuming, though easy peasy!!

Lucid told me.....now I'm telling you.....

look for yourself

www.lapissolaris.com
Old 2010-02-19, 5:15pm
Experimentalist

I do websites for other people... for that I use Coffee Cup. Oh, it's also what I use for the SRAJD website.

http://www.SRAJD.com (then click on SRAJD)

Old 2010-02-19, 5:16pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
I use Coffee Cup HTML Editor, and I love it. I have used it for years. It's much simpler than something like Dreamweaver.
I tried Dreamweaver. I'm not an idiot... I usually am pretty good at learning new software programs. I was completely lost.

Old 2010-02-19, 5:28pm
No longer a Member

I know this is about Intuit advice....I'm calling them (intuit) tomorrow for a refund..(tried it before OPP)..that's about it.

OPP....is the ONLY design site I've seen.....dedicated to OUR needs as artists.

hope this helps

Peace

Last edited by Glow Joe; 2010-02-19 at 5:37pm.
Old 2010-02-19, 5:44pm
<--- Time traveler

I agree with whoever said "There is Dreamweaver and there is everything else." If I just wanted to have a blog I might use Wordpress (it's very customizable, by the way), but for a full-featured website Dreamweaver is what you want.
Old 2010-03-21, 9:36am

Thanks again for everyone's help. I am trying out trial versions of Other People's Pixels, Dreamweaver, and Sitespinner. Does anyone here have any experience with Squarespace?

Old 2010-03-21, 2:12pm

I'm a Dreamweaver girl, myself, and it prefer it over my experiences with FrontPage. I do a lot of my coding by hand, though, and have a pretty high familiarity with technology, in general, so that may make a difference. I've used CoffeeCup products in the past and love what you get for the money. If I hadn't gotten a student discount on Dreamweaver, I'd probably have gone with CoffeeCup.

IMO, I think a blog is a good addition to a web page, but I haven't yet seen someone use a blog in a way that could replace a webpage.

Old 2011-10-06, 10:54pm

Thanks for your nice information.