Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-04-26, 12:30pm
Queen Tut ;)

Default Need opinions please...

Ok, I've been working on updating my weebly site and well...help

http://meltwithmecreations.weebly.com/

Does the banner clash totally with the background? Does it distract you when you look through the gallery?
And does the background image take a very long time to load for you? Do you find that as you navigate pages, the background goes black and then comes back?

Ok, make sure you look at the site before you even read this next question.
(go look!!)
Anyone else see those Meta tag words at the top? Are they there for you and you didn't notice until I asked? Did you noticed and you know how I can hide them?

Do you like my choice of fonts or is it hard to read?

I know, a lot of questions. It's hard when you can only access it from your own computer and basically looking at it with 2 browsers (Chrome and IE).

I really want to get it shaped up before I start listing on Etsy. When I update my weebly site, I usually put so on my FB page...then get requests for buying beads, hence why I want the site to be spiffy!

Please be brutally honest. If I didn't want honesty, I....er, I dunno...I'd tell ya'll to sugar coat it so I wouldn't cry like a lil girl

Thanks!
Jenne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-26, 1:00pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

My opinion, and I am not a weebly fashion diva, is that the background is a tad dominant. When I click the window into full page size, the back round takes up more real estate than the subject section in the center. I would dial down the saturation of the background, to draw the eye to the center where the $ is

I did not even see the meta tags until you pointed them out. There is usually a way to make the text invisible. I am no help in how though. If the background were solid, I would just choose the color of text that blends in. The ones at the bottom that are conflicting with the white text stand out more than the ones on the top.

Your beads are beautiful, and you will get this tuned in to your liking likidy split!

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-04-26, 1:40pm
Queen Tut ;)

Ok, lightened the background a bit. Not sure if it still clashes, style-wise?

I would love to make the the center section wider, but I have no idea how to with weebly. Or if that's even an option with the layout I chose.

Have got to try and figure those tags at the top and bottom out. I think if I remove them completely, that messes with search engines and such.

Thanks for your feedback Pam, and the compliments

More opinions welcomed and needed

Old 2011-04-26, 2:01pm
Growing Edge Glass

I'm not a site builder so my opinions are just based on what I like to see in a webpage.

All of it loaded fast for me, but I do see a flash of black when clicking on a link.

I did notice the tags on top and bottom almost immediately and hope that you can make them invisible because I do feel that they detract from the design.

I find that the background is too busy and my eye continues to go to it. I would like to see a softer fade of the rosy/pink color to a gray color as the background instead of a background with text/pics. I like the look of the banner/headline pics alot and feel that just the faded rose to gray for a background, would add to the banner.

I agree that the text you've chosen looks really good and I also agree that the content (pics and etc) need to be alittle wider.

I think your pics look good...good sized and clear.

I think just a few simple tweaks and it'll look really great....just my opinion. .....but I'd say you've done a really good job on it.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2011-04-26 at 2:17pm.
Old 2011-04-26, 2:11pm

OK so I don't know all the technical terms but here goes:

I like the font - particularly in your header.
It loaded just fine (fast).
I didn't notie tohose tags on the top and bottom but I was more focused on your header and pictures etc.
The background isn't distracting necessarily but not really congruent with your style it seems to me.
And finally - give yourself a hand for getting this far. I've owned my domain name for longer than I'd care to admit and that's about all....baby steps right

PEACE ON EARTH

Last edited by jaybee766; 2011-04-27 at 2:50pm. Reason: typo
Old 2011-04-26, 4:46pm
Queen Tut ;)

My husband said there's a way to put meta tags into an actual file so they don't show, now I just have to figure out how.

Ok, gonna work on the background some more...will let ya'll know when I have a new version up.

Thanks so much for the feedback

Old 2011-04-26, 5:34pm
Feminist Killjoy

I think the whole central area could be wider, personally. The font that's used for the content is hard to read easily. Meta tags shouldn't be visible. Here's some quick info. Hope this helps.

http://searchenginewatch.com/2167931
Old 2011-04-26, 8:06pm
Queen Tut ;)

Ok, have a temporary new background. Will have to mess with the widths and more bg images tomorrow. Weebly doesn't let you fine tune things very much unless you know html/css. So to switch to a wider central area, I'll have to pick and tweak a whole new layout.
Think I'm gonna sleep on it and see what I think in the morning. I tend to over think pretty much everything.

Thanks again for the opinions and advice!

Old 2011-04-26, 9:39pm

Found the typeface hard to read on an IPad and really had to look hard for the mega tabs.
Well done otherwise - that's a lot of work!
Old 2011-04-27, 5:35am
ManBearPig

Well, the problem is that you aren't using meta tags. You just have some words typed into the head of the code. In order for them to not show up (and for them to actually function as meta tags) they need to be coded correctly. It looks like you do have some actual keywords on there though. Those extra words that are showing up at the top could really just be deleted.

Check out this page for more info: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp

There is also a lot of info on there about CSS, which may help you get the site set up like you want. If not, let me know and I can help you. That's what I do for a living.

Old 2011-04-27, 10:50am
Queen Tut ;)

Ok, changed the font, took out the silly header and footer words....not sure why weebly put them there.

Is the new "temporary" background more pleasing to the eye than the old? Should I lighten it or get a totally new one? If it's "ok", then vote to leave it.

I figured out that the central content area was actually a thin gif of white, repeated vertically. I had to make a new one that was wider. I had to tweak my banner....not sure if it still works.

Anywho, if ya'll can let me know what you think thus far? For those who didn't see it originally, just an opinion overall would be appreciated. Also on loading times etc.

I wish my dang camera lenses would get here so I could start taking pictures instead of being OCD about my site, sheesh!

Thanks again,
Jenne

Old 2011-04-27, 10:57am
da General

The site is looking nice! I do find the Papyrus typeface a bit hard to read as a body copy tho. . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-27, 11:21am
Queen Tut ;)

I see that the font shows differently depending on which browser I use...let me change it and check on both and see what ya'll think. Bugger!

Old 2011-04-27, 11:25am
ManBearPig

That's the problem with fonts on the web. You can't use just any font. You need to use a "web-safe" font to ensure that it shows up the way you want.

Here is a list of safe fonts to use:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_websafe_fonts.asp

Old 2011-04-27, 11:27am
Queen Tut ;)

Ok, changed it and checked with Chrome and IE. Didn't realize how frilly the original font looked on IE. I kept wondering why folks were complaining about the body font. My bad!

If something shows wonky, please let me know what browser you're using.

Old 2011-04-27, 11:39am
ManBearPig

Looks fine now. Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on OSX.

But, I will tell you this... IE is the devil. Plain and simple. Especially from a web design perspective. Microsoft refuses to get on board with the rest of the world, so you run into stuff like that a lot.

Old 2011-04-27, 11:55am
da General

I see you changed the typeface for the body copy so it's more readable . . . how about making the headings in Papyrus? For those of us who do have Papyrus, it will add something visually pleasing to the page. For those who don't, it doesn't hurt anything. Alternatively, you can make the headings in Papyrus, then turn it into graphics and import them as "images." . . . if weebly lets you do that.

One more nit picking thing - I would recommend changing two spaces to one space after each period. It looks amateurish with two spaces. If you have a line space between paragraphs, you do not need an indent at the beginning of the paragraph.

Sorry - graphic design is my day job and my master thesis from Yale was Texture in Typography so I am a bit, hmmmm, picky?! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-27, 12:18pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
One more nit picking thing - I would recommend changing two spaces to one space after each period. It looks amateurish with two spaces. If you have a line space between paragraphs, you do not need an indent at the beginning of the paragraph.
Except that's what the majority of us were taught in school. I'll admit it - I've been a professional graphic designer for 22 years, and I still hit the space bar twice after a period. I've never been accused of having my work look "amateurish" though. That's also why none of the computers I own have Papyrus or Comic Sans installed. Those two fonts make me want to start throwing and breaking things...

I didn't think that any browsers these days still supported the extra space. I thought they all removed them.

Old 2011-04-27, 2:41pm
Growing Edge Glass

Just looked at your site again...first time since my last post.

You've changed your background and you've called it a 'temporary' background. If you're still wanting opinions on the background....I have to say that I preferred the other one to this one. While I thought the other was too busy.....I really like the colors in it and felt that they brought out the color in your banner. I had suggested a rose to gray fade or something of that nature instead of the background with pics/text in it. Felt it was too distracting/busy.

Maybe the original background but faded much more so that it doesn't compete with your banner pics would be an idea?

The new fuschia background changes the look of the site, for me, and still competes too much for my attention. Maybe fading the new fuschia background might work? I think you want your customers eyes to always come back to the work.

Your work and pics are nice and they should be the 'star' of your pages...not the background. All just my opinion.....don't hate me..

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-04-27, 2:51pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Except that's what the majority of us were taught in school. I'll admit it - I've been a professional graphic designer for 22 years, and I still hit the space bar twice after a period. I've never been accused of having my work look "amateurish" though. That's also why none of the computers I own have Papyrus or Comic Sans installed. Those two fonts make me want to start throwing and breaking things...

I didn't think that any browsers these days still supported the extra space. I thought they all removed them.
I beg to differ, Chad. I have been a professional graphic designer for 27 years and have always taken out the extra space after a period. That's the first thing we marked up on the manuscript before it went to the typesetter in the old days. The only need for two spaces after a period was/is for mono-space typefaces for typewriters. If you look at any professionally printed pieces - from books to magazines to annual reports, etc. etc. - they all only contain one space after the period (unless a mono-space typeface such as Courier is used). But I am not here to argue with you. I am here to give feedback to Jenne and it's her choice to follow the suggestion or not.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-27, 2:54pm

Wow -it looks so different in just a day. I really like it!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2011-04-27, 3:27pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
Just looked at your site again...first time since my last post.

You've changed your background and you've called it a 'temporary' background. If you're still wanting opinions on the background....I have to say that I preferred the other one to this one. While I thought the other was too busy.....I really like the colors in it and felt that they brought out the color in your banner. I had suggested a rose to gray fade or something of that nature instead of the background with pics/text in it. Felt it was too distracting/busy.

Maybe the original background but faded much more so that it doesn't compete with your banner pics would be an idea?

The new fuschia background changes the look of the site, for me, and still competes too much for my attention. Maybe fading the new fuschia background might work? I think you want your customers eyes to always come back to the work.

Your work and pics are nice and they should be the 'star' of your pages...not the background. All just my opinion.....don't hate me..
I like the changes so far. I do agree with the background ideas here. You are doing so much better with your site than I ever did with mine

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-04-27, 5:12pm
Queen Tut ;)

I will have to work on the background some, I was having a hard time with the original and just wanted to put something else up. It'll have to wait unfortunately.

The whole space and double space thing confuses me, as I've always double spaced because it's what I was taught in school. I don't notice it one way or the other, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate everyones' opinions.

Jenne

Old 2011-04-27, 5:51pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I beg to differ, Chad. I have been a professional graphic designer for 27 years and have always taken out the extra space after a period. That's the first thing we marked up on the manuscript before it went to the typesetter in the old days. The only need for two spaces after a period was/is for mono-space typefaces for typewriters. If you look at any professionally printed pieces - from books to magazines to annual reports, etc. etc. - they all only contain one space after the period (unless a mono-space typeface such as Courier is used). But I am not here to argue with you. I am here to give feedback to Jenne and it's her choice to follow the suggestion or not.
I don't know. I've put out many professionally printed pieces (books, catalogs, sports programs, etc.) in the 20 years that I worked at a print shop and they were all with two spaces. I've never had a customer complain, and I'd be willing to bet that anyone who isn't in the field you or I are in couldn't tell the difference anyways.

Plus, after doing it for so long, I'd also be willing to bet I couldn't train my thumb not to hit the space bar twice after a period no matter how hard I tried. Thinking back it was probably in middle school typing class that I was taught that. Oh well. Old habits die hard I guess. Looking back at this post before I hit "Submit Reply" I see that I've done it again here...

Old 2011-04-27, 9:11pm

I didn't see it in the first few iterations. The current background does not distract me, I think the richness of the color actually makes the photos pop more.

One style thing I noticed is on the Gallery - Page 2. (no need for period) Also, once on page 2, there isn't back to page 1. No big deal, but something to consider as your gallery grows. For me, I would like to be able to click on the images and load a bigger version to see better details. I don't know if other visitors think like that or not?

The Tags weebly and other blogging programs add in outside of the metatag line do increase search results (Google now ignores metatags). Again, I don't know what they looked like, but one option is to change the font color to match the background they are on (whether that's in the white area or the background) so that they aren't seen by the human eye.

I'm on a Mac, no probs with Safari or Firefox.

Period Space Space? It doesn't matter - from the MLA website:
Because it is increasingly common for papers and manuscripts to be prepared with a single space after all punctuation marks, this spacing is shown in the examples in the MLA Handbook and the MLA Style Manual. As a practical matter, however, there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise.

Good job! I think you've done a fine job, and it appears in a very short time!
Dori

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2011-04-27, 10:17pm

Jenne
On Safari - background and typeface so much better than this morning - looks good!