No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-03, 9:28am
Living Life Creatively

Red face Desperate for Gaia Help!

It's been a really long time since I've used Gaia, and now that I need to make a set of spacers for an order, I can't get it to work at all!! EEK!!

I'm either getting a really blotchy cloudiness, or last night I made several using a hard Dragon's Breath flame that went into the kiln nice and shiny metallic, but came out this morning back to transparent like the rod?!?

I've been trying to reduce it every which way I can think of, but evidentally, I can't find the "magic" for this glass anymore and it's driving me CRAZY. I would really appreciate any helpful advice on what I could try to get consistent metallic blue/green out of this glass, please!

THanks! *Ü*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Old 2012-02-03, 9:33am
Jacqueline Parkes

I just give it a light reduction before popping into the kiln.

Old 2012-02-03, 9:36am
Living Life Creatively

Would you mind sharing a little more particulars, Gem? Because I've tried it in so many combos, my head is spinning! LOL For example, do you reduce while it's still glowing, or really cool? In a Dragon's breath or just turn up your propane to a 3" flame, etc.?

I got a nice reduction last night, but it didn't stick in the kiln… maybe I need to do something to make it "stick"??
-
-
-
Old 2012-02-03, 9:38am

I have the same problem as Lori! I too gave it a light reduction tho and it still came out clear like the rod. It was barely showing any metalic at all when I put it in. I have also tried the heavy reduction, striking reducing - still looks like rod when coming out of kiln. I wonder if its the batch?

LynieG
Old 2012-02-03, 9:41am
Living Life Creatively

I was kind of wondering the same thing about a possible batch problem, Lynie! But I wanted to check here first and see if anyone might be able to clue me in as to what might be the problem with my reducing method. I certainly don't have a problem reducing any of the other DH glasses though! *sigh*
-
-
-
Old 2012-02-03, 9:46am
Loving learning

Just curious here, is it better to reduce then straight to the kiln, or let it cool a little first? I'm just learning silver glass, and so much to learn!
Old 2012-02-03, 9:56am
Living Life Creatively

Eileen, I always wait until the red glow has left my beads before popping them into the kiln so they don't lose their shape. But that's a great question and maybe a clue for my Gaia problems?!
-
-
-
Old 2012-02-03, 12:24pm
Lover of Life

Do you have that aquarium carbon stuff in your kiln that helps retain the metallic sheen on your reduced silver glass beads?

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2012-02-03, 12:31pm
Living Life Creatively

Becky~No, but I have some carbon that I use for my bronze metal clay—would that work? And I don't have any trouble keeping the finish on any of my other silver glass though…is Gaia trickier that way? (BTW, I've been garaging at 930 and annealing at 960 for 1.5 hrs.)
-
-
-
Old 2012-02-06, 6:55am

The carbon (activated charcoal) from your bronze clay work should do the trick. Just use a little.

Robert
Old 2012-02-07, 12:02am
Naysayer

This makes me want to pull Gaia out again, I didn't like it so much..or it didn't like me is more like it.
Old 2012-02-07, 6:38pm

It reacts well on ivory. I actually like it best that way. For a stronger silver I like Triton or for gold helios.

Old 2012-02-13, 9:09pm
Living Life Creatively

Thanks so much for the tips and advice, everyone! What ended up working best for me was to first reduce in a hard Dragon's Breath just after the glow was gone, but not cool. Then warm up a bit in a neutral flame, then reduce again, but this time in a regular 2-3" reduction flame (I turned up my propane and turned oxy down). Also reduced my kiln annealing temp to 940 instead of 960. I got much better results, but still am not getting a consistent finish most of the time. *sigh* Oh well, must be the nature of this particular glass and I've been spoiled by Triton for too long?! LOL
-
-
-