LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-10-19, 7:16pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for the frit answer. I haven't tried it yet. I have made about 10 or more inplosion beads. They were beautiful but all broke. Even the ones I put straight into the kiln! I will have to give up the Luscha sp? Well now that I think of it the ones with the light colored transparent glass broke too so what is up with that.
Old 2005-10-19, 7:47pm

Default Broke Beads

Well here they are many more than 10 try 16. Most are done with clear luscha sp? Several are done with pale transparetns. Oh well try try again.
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-02, 9:05am
Mary Lockwood

Awww...that's a shame that they are broke! It looks like you have some very fun color combinations there.

It is hard to tell from the picture if you have a crazing sort of cracking, or simply thermal shocking. I am leaning toward thermal shock.

I know they are cool to watch, but these are pretty moody as far as letting them get too cold before garaging them. Especially if you are using effetre special colors, such as all those reds with lauscha.

I would recommend, making sure that after you have achieved your final shape, bring the whole bead back to a nice deep glow. Not necessarily BRIGHT, just DEEP. Then get them into the kiln faster.

Have you had any luck with these since this last post?

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-02, 4:49pm
Superkitty

Great oogalie boogalie!!!! How did I miss this tutorial? I'll be giving this a try tomorrow.

Mary, your ROCK!!!!

Thanks,

Deb
Old 2005-11-03, 7:09pm

Thanks Mary, I have tried not looking at them once they are done and getting them hot and putting right into the kiln but no luck. I am not giving up.

Tracy
Old 2005-11-03, 7:16pm
Satake Woman!

You can do it! Once you get the knack they are so much fun.
Attached Images

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-11-04, 3:22pm

Thank you Moth I was raring to try this after I found the thread yesterday afternoon. Got 6 made this morning and here they are:
I added clear glass to the end to get the round shape, added leaf stringer and melted it in then the raised roses on the outside. I had a hard time getting a good photo. Even thought much of the shortness of my implosion threads is due to my adding a lot of clear on the small end to make a round; I still didn't get as long an implosion as I would have liked. Any suggestions?
thanks again for this great tutorial.
lisa
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-04, 4:10pm

Here is a better close up that shows the implosion
lisa
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-05, 10:45am

Thank you for your wonderful, easy to understand tutorial. And I love your quote:

"with great chocolate comes great responsibility"

As many of you know that's what I do for a living....

Hugs, Linda G.
Old 2005-11-05, 4:41pm

another few today. These were pressed in my zoozi bead pressed after implosion.
lisa
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-08, 6:51am

Thanks for a great demo!
Walter
Old 2005-11-08, 10:18am
Born Facing Left

Thanks so much for this, Mary!

I did a few of these yesterday, and they're fairly addictive. A far cry from my one and only off-mandrel attemp, which, come to think of it, is still attached to the punty!

The ones that I did aren't picture worthy, but if I do some decent ones, I'll post them.

Sherry
Old 2005-11-10, 9:30am

ooh ... I'm going to try this!

Sadie
Old 2005-11-10, 2:07pm

I have tried this is the past and got nothing as cool as these. Good job ya'll

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-11-10, 2:48pm

I posted these in the gallery but wanted to show them here as well. I am addicted!
lisa
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-21, 11:18am

Thank you Mary for taking the time to put this tutorial together. Someday, I may give it a try. But for now having insight to a mystery is enough!
Thanks again,
Michelle

Old 2005-11-22, 4:39am

Default a few implosion ones

These are fun to do..
Attached Images

"Don't Worry, Bead Happy"

Old 2005-11-22, 11:38am
San Diego Toni

Ok now fire fans...I just read this entire thread and MUST fire it up tonight and try this! Gorgeous work everyone - and SUPER SIZED THANK YOU to Mary for the tut!
I'll be back!

Toni
Old 2005-11-22, 12:53pm
Mary Lockwood

More pictures you guys!!

I'm loving all the different twists you are taking.

~~Mary

Old 2005-11-23, 12:23am
*glass spaz*

Thanks for this tutorial Mary. I have run out of clear stringers, but once I get more, I'll be back on the horse trying more. Here's a picture of my first two implosion beads. (see the two on the left). I had a hard time getting my implosions to move through the bead, they were sorta short. Do I need to build up the dots higher?

Old 2005-11-23, 7:23pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAR*
Thanks for this tutorial Mary. I have run out of clear stringers, but once I get more, I'll be back on the horse trying more. Here's a picture of my first two implosion beads. (see the two on the left). I had a hard time getting my implosions to move through the bead, they were sorta short. Do I need to build up the dots higher?
Those look great!

If you want the implosions to travel further, you need to make your clear disk a larger diameter and do more rows of dots. Even the tiniest of dots will make a decent sized implosion, so I dont think it is the dot size that keeps them short. It is the size of the disk.

Let me know how that works out for ya.

~~Mary

Old 2005-11-23, 7:48pm

a close up of another set I really love making these.
lisa
Attached Images

Old 2005-11-24, 9:16pm
*glass spaz*

Thanks for the tip Mary! I use a HH, so it is a long ordeal getting a big clear disk. But, I will be renting some torch time on a Bobcat this coming week, and I am definitely going to use the opportunity with a hotter torch to melt a bunch of slow melting transparent glass! I'll report back with the results of my experiment. mwah ha ha ha ha ha (*mad scientist laugh!*)

Best,
M

Old 2005-11-24, 9:16pm

Wow! These ARE soooooooooo addicting. I couldn't help from keep making them in between the turkey fixings! LOL But.....yes the family and friends did get fed. I can see how these beads will crack. You seem to be mesmerized, and stare a bit too long before getting them in the kiln. Thanks Mary for the great tut!
Old 2005-11-24, 9:43pm
Entropy increasing....

Hollow spots have to be big bubbles next to the mandrell. You can't possibly clean those out.

Everyone remembers when they couldn't make a round bead. It will happen, just keep trying. Never give up! Never surrender!
Old 2005-12-03, 10:41pm
oxygen deprived

Okay, I just tried this technique today and I am IN LOVE. No, make that LUST. Since my first attempts were very crappy... lol. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this - my understanding of the properties of melting glass have been significantly enhanced. And I have a great idea for a direction to take based on this - very exciting.

Thank you x100000000!!!
Old 2005-12-04, 9:18am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissa
Okay, I just tried this technique today and I am IN LOVE. No, make that LUST. Since my first attempts were very crappy... lol. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this - my understanding of the properties of melting glass have been significantly enhanced. And I have a great idea for a direction to take based on this - very exciting.

Thank you x100000000!!!
Can't wait to see what you are working on!!!

~~Mary

Old 2005-12-09, 12:44am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I *finally* found enough time to read this thread all the way through! Wonderful! I can't wait to try it! Thank you, Mary!!!!!!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2005-12-09, 7:58pm
Keep My Flame Burning

Thanks so much Mary! I have so much fun with your tutorial! I love making these beads.
Attached Images

Live everday like it is your last and regret is a word you will never use.
Old 2006-01-21, 8:14pm

Hey there Moth/Mary,
I have no idea what it is I am doing worng.. I am working on a H.H. maybe that is the problem,, the beads I have made using your technique are great but the all crack,, any suggestions..? smiles Kerry

My Etsy:

'A creative mess is better than a tidy idleness'

SRA #C-126