Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-01-22, 1:17pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi Kerry!

I don't think it matters what torch you use. I loved my hothead...rock on!

What colors are you encasing and which clear are you using?

Also, what temps are you using to anneal and are you batch annealing or garaging while you work?

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-22, 1:18pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzielou
Thanks so much Mary! I have so much fun with your tutorial! I love making these beads.
Oh I love those...and look at the wee frog!!!

~~Mary

Old 2006-01-22, 1:30pm

Hey there Mary,
Okay that is the problem ,,, I do not have a kile on site, and the bead cracks before I can get it to my ffriends kiln,,, I will try some at his place and see if that helps.. thanks for your reply Mary..

My Etsy:

'A creative mess is better than a tidy idleness'

SRA #C-126
Old 2006-02-12, 1:51pm

Here is a key fob DH made with Mary's tutorial. Thanks Mary

Old 2006-02-13, 7:57am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Sherry!!!

Your hubby did a great job! Is that his very first one??

Love the HOT HOT colors!

Old 2006-02-13, 8:42am

Hi Mary, this isn't his first one but the earlier ones I have to see if I can find as my girls like to lay claim to beads and they stash them somewhere He made a couple where after shaping he did a droop/gravity swirl and they are so pretty. I will get pictures taken and post those also. Thanks again for this wonderful and easy to follow tutorial.

Old 2006-02-13, 11:06am
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain&fancy
a close up of another set I really love making these.
lisa
I am loving this style with the flowers....

any tips on placement of dots to get these kind???

Being Monday I am brain dead and can't put my brain around how to do this one.....

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2006-02-13, 11:19am
Moving on!

Here is my first attempt at an implosion bead and a vessel. Decided to combine the two and am SO pleased with the results. Moth is getting this one as a 'thank you' for such a great tutorial.

- nothing right now.
Old 2006-02-15, 8:13pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

I have been avoiding this one because I thought I could not do it or even come close to it! I can't wait till friday when I can give it a go!! Thanks for the great tutorial Mary and all the great pictures from every one!
Old 2006-03-12, 1:58pm
CRAZY4PETS

Wink Awesome Implosion Beads!!!!

Oh wow, these are awesome! I cannot wait to try this technique. Thanks for sharing. Gives me something new to challenge myself with.

PAULA

LOVE YOUR PETS AND THEY WILL LOVE YOU BACK
Old 2006-03-13, 9:01am

Mary, Great tutorial. Where I am having trouble is making a disk that doesn't fall apart. It's like I can't get the wraps to bond to each other. Any suggestions or tips ????
By the way, I'm using a HH.

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2006-03-14, 9:55pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi Bob!

It seems to me that if you can't get the subsequent rows of clear to stick together when you are winding them in a disk...that they aren't hot enough. But, if the glass is moving, which it obviously MUST be, since you are wrapping it around in a disk...then it MUST be hot enough.

I'm thinking maybe I don't understand the question, so I'm just gonna tell ya how I do it maybe that'll fix it.

First, I heat a small portion of the mandrel to glowing, then I heat a 5mm rod of clear to glowing and touch it to the mandrel. (Many times when I was on a Hothead, I would use clear stringer for this. The commercially pulled stringer is between 2-3mm in diameter and would do ya right with this technique.) I make one round about the mandrel to form something like a spacer bead.

Then, I keep that spacer bead dropped below (or in your case, behind) the flame, and the rod of glass IN the flame. As the glass in the flame becomes soft, I push it onto the spacer bead as I turn the mandrel. I let it get plenty soft too...not just bendable. You want to be able to push the rows of clear together so they get nice and fat, and stuck together. If you just kinda thread the glass around for the disk, it will be thin and weak.

Once you have a fat, rudimentary disk made, put your clear glass rod down and pick up a pair of mashers. Heat the disk in the flame, and mash it with the mashers, turning the mandrel between mashes. You are trying to make a sideways pizza crust out of molten glass on a stick...kinda like tapping your toes, rubbing your belly and patting your head all at the same time.

Don't worry, you will get it.

If you have mashed your disk all the way around and it looks pretty even thickness-wise, but you have more glass on one side of the mandrel than the other, you can always paint more glass onto the skimpy side, around the circumfrence. Once you have done a hundred of these, you will be winding perfect disks like there is no tomorrow. But if you are having trouble...use your hand tools to help you do the job.

Remember...when you are first forming the rows of clear around the disk, push your rod of clear against the last row you made so that it spreads out and makes good contact. The trick being, keep your disk out of the flame, and your clear rod IN the flame...that way, your disk is stiff enough to push against with the molten clear. I think that is key in your case.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll try again.

~~Mary

Old 2006-03-15, 9:26am

Thanks Mary, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've been keeping the bead below the flame and not behind. I haven't made that adjustment in my technique for the HH. I'll also pull some clear stringers and try that. Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Old 2006-03-20, 7:16am
Mary Lockwood

So, how goes it Bob??

Old 2006-03-21, 7:03am

That was the problem. I have moved to the back behind the rod and they are now staying put. Thanks a bunch.

Bob

Old 2006-03-24, 5:44pm
CRAZY4PETS

To All,

Wow! All of your implosion beads are awesome. I am jealous. LOL

I am going to give it a shot tonight at my first one or dozen depending on how they come out! LOL

Thanks

PAULA

Old 2006-03-25, 8:38am
CRAZY4PETS

Red face Implosion bead experiment

Well I think I will stick to animal beads. LOL LOL LOL

I made two implosion beads last night. First came out like a christmas tree light as far as shape goes and second was an attempt at red/white/blue patriotic and it got fat and I could not get it shaped correctly and also threw some steriling silver 999 dots on it with wire which was also an experiment which cracked on me.

Well come to find out why I was having such a hard time is, I RAN OUT OF GAS during a bead after the implosions. So I guess this explains why I could not get them as hot as I wanted. LOL I will try again. If I get some spare time, I will take pics and post them but they are not so hot. If anything, they will give you a chuckle or two! LOL I am getting a new tank today and will give it another shot though. Not ready to give up yet.

Thanks for the awesome tutorial on these. It really helped or I wouldn't have had a clue how to even begin making one of these implosions.

PAULA

Old 2006-03-26, 5:49am
CRAZY4PETS

Unhappy First implosion experiment

Here is my first, YUK! Flaming Christmas bulb that cracked. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sorry about glare in pic but couldn't be helped. The second implosion experiement is for my eyes only as that one was worse than this one. LOL

PAULA

Old 2006-03-27, 9:37pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Torbett
That was the problem. I have moved to the back behind the rod and they are now staying put. Thanks a bunch.

Bob
That's great Bob! Hope you share them with us sometime!

Old 2006-03-27, 9:39pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstopbeading

Here is my first, YUK! Flaming Christmas bulb that cracked. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sorry about glare in pic but couldn't be helped. The second implosion experiement is for my eyes only as that one was worse than this one. LOL

Paula, you are being too hard on yourself. My first one didn't look as good as YOUR first one! Trust me on that!

Hope you post pics of your next ones too! I love to watch the progression.

~~Mary

Old 2006-06-11, 9:14am
Glass my new Obsession

Very cool tutorial!I was wondering how the heck these were made LOL!
Tina
Old 2006-06-23, 7:41pm

I am so glad this thread got brought back. I'm not good at searching, but I read the first few posts, got excited, made some beads.

Then I came back to find out more and realized I was about 6 months behind on the histeria, but I still love this process. The tutorial was so easy to understand that I of did it from memory of the pictures.

I tried several of my own variations before I read the whole thread. They will be out of the kiln tomorrow, but no pictures until Monday probably.

BoniBell
Old 2006-07-05, 6:42am
Pyromaniac

I've only made one implosion bead so far, great tutorial, thanks! For your viewing pleasure, I present my implosion bead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
I even made one myself last night. Here it is:

~~Mary

How do you get those layers of color? I want to try that out! Mine came out looking much more like a chrysanthemum.
Old 2006-07-06, 6:32pm
Mary Lockwood

I love the look of that implosion! I think you did a great job. As far as getting the different layers of color in the one you referenced, I just continued putting rings of dots around the mandrel and each ring was a different color. I think what it happening with yours is that you aren't bringing enough rings of dots all over the surface of the disk clear out to the edges.

Put more dots and see what happens.

~~Mary

Have fun!

Old 2006-08-29, 9:40am
Mary Lockwood

Bunyip, how is it going? Did increasing the number of dots help your issues? I'd love to see more pix.

~~Mary

Old 2006-08-30, 11:51am

Mary,
thanks so much for the tutorial.....I'm just learning my way around LE etc.
Thanks also to all the inspiring threads from everyone else.
this, I've got to try.
Cheryl
Old 2006-11-02, 11:32pm

wow what great beads. Cant wait to try it.
Old 2006-11-03, 11:11am
Ellyloo-YAH!

here are my implosions. *sigh*

not so hot.

http://www.ellyloo.com/imp2.jpg
http://www.ellyloo.com/imp3.jpg

I have to practice my dot placement.
Old 2006-11-12, 11:47pm

Mary - I've really enjoyed your tutorial and all the subsequent post, pics and tips. Will try this out and get one posted!
Deb

Old 2006-12-22, 7:26pm

Question Help me PLEASE! I just can't get it right. UGH!

Hello, all I am new so I wanted to say a brief hello. HELLO!

I also wanted to ask for HELP I have tried to follow the tutorials and just can't get it right. I am also new to lampworking.

My problem is that I have to be heating the disk incorrectly while adding dots because the glass melts away from the mandrel enough to spin on its own and then I can't continue very well. And to top it off I can't seem to get it to the molten point of sagging down into being a bead.. HELPPPPPP!

I am frustrated so very, very frustrated. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

I am on a hot head torch
I am using COE 104 glass
I have tried a larger and a smaller mandrel.

Any help would be so wonderful. Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful things you do to create and the sharing too. AND A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! Leigh