Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2007-11-04, 2:41pm

Default New Website Designs

Hi everyone,

I've just designed 12 new boutique web designs. They're hot and they're gonna go fast. Check them out at www.splashofmagic.com

Have fun shopping and feel free to send along any questions.

Susan
Old 2007-11-07, 6:01pm

Default Comments Welcome

I wanted to add to this post that I always welcome color/style suggestions. When someone tells me what they are looking for, I often create some designs with that in mind. And if you are lucky, it just might be your dream design.

Susan
Old 2007-11-07, 6:35pm
sunscreen me baby

These are so pretty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-07, 7:20pm

Default Thanks

Suzy,

Thanks so much!!

Susan
Old 2007-11-08, 9:39am

Gorgeous as always Susan! I love them!

Old 2007-11-08, 6:57pm

Default Thanks

Shari,

Thanks! Your site is still one of my favorites. And I love your beads and jewelry. It all goes so well together.

Susan
Old 2007-11-08, 8:49pm

Very nice. Do you create Joomla templates?

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-11-09, 7:01am

Default Joomla

Rose,

Funny you should ask. A friend of mine was just telling me about it. I will look into it. I like the way your site looks, it's clean and simple. I don't see any reason why we couldn't start offering installations for Joomla.

Currently we only go through Pappashop or MerchantMoms for web hosting, but Joomla is something we should look into. We have also used ZenCart. Thanks for the question though.

Susan
Old 2007-11-09, 3:13pm

Thanks for the complement. I actually have been thinking about changing it a bit. Keep me informed of the Joomle thing. I bet you could make some awesome templates.

Old 2007-11-10, 1:01am

What is Joomla?

Old 2007-11-10, 7:51am

Default Jooma

Jooma is an open source content management system. You should ask your nephew about it.

Here's the link: http://www.joomla.org/

Susan
Old 2007-11-10, 8:10pm

Joomla is nice because since it is a content management system it is easy to add and remove information on your site. The pages are created dynamically so once you create a template all the pages have the same look and feel. I am still learning it but I like the flexability it gives me.

Old 2007-11-10, 11:22pm

Your designs are incredibly beautiful, but way out of my price range. If I ever get "rich and famous" I'll definitely look you up!

Cheryl

Old 2007-11-11, 4:55pm

Actually Cheryl, I find susan's prices quite reasonable.

Five years ago I had my very first website designed. It cost me $1,200 back then. I thought that was expensive but sucked it up and put out the money to get a website up and going.

Then five years later I thought it was time for an update. I approached the same company and to my suprise they were going to charge over $5000.oo , four times as much!

So I approached Susan to design my website. I was really happy with the cost and the final results of her design. So I think the prices compared to other designers for the templates are pretty fair. But I realize it all depends on what's affordable to you.

Old 2007-11-13, 10:51am
Glass Addict

I second that - her work is just stunning and I just launched my site in the Spring and it was well over $2,000 using Zen Cart and nowhere near as pretty!

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-11-14, 6:46pm

Susan I just love your designs, I'm drooling right now looking at Rosalie!!!!!!!!

Join the Army of Women to fight Breast Cancer. Click
Old 2007-11-14, 6:53pm

Patty,

Thanks a bunch. It's funny that you're drooling over that one. It's the only one where I've used a photograph in the design. And it's very different from what you have now.

I appreciate it though.

Take Care,
Susan
Old 2007-11-14, 7:43pm

I'm not saying they aren't reasonable. They are just out of *my* price range. I'm only going to gross about $13,000 this year. That doesn't leave much for anything other than basic necessities. I had to think about whether I could afford to spend 12.95 a month for a site through Pappashop. Before I have someone do a website for me I want a kiln and a newer computer.

Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sislonski View Post
Actually Cheryl, I find susan's prices quite reasonable.

Five years ago I had my very first website designed. It cost me $1,200 back then. I thought that was expensive but sucked it up and put out the money to get a website up and going.

Then five years later I thought it was time for an update. I approached the same company and to my suprise they were going to charge over $5000.oo , four times as much!

So I approached Susan to design my website. I was really happy with the cost and the final results of her design. So I think the prices compared to other designers for the templates are pretty fair. But I realize it all depends on what's affordable to you.

Old 2007-11-14, 7:51pm
sunscreen me baby

I experienced the same thing. I tried to do my own site with frontpage and it was frustrating. So I paid a local company. I think it was about $1,500 when I was done. A couple years later I wanted to update my site and give it a shopping cart. The quote was $8,000! I got just what I wanted with pappashop and a custom designer for much less.

~

Old 2007-11-14, 11:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
I'm not saying they aren't reasonable. They are just out of *my* price range. I'm only going to gross about $13,000 this year. That doesn't leave much for anything other than basic necessities. I had to think about whether I could afford to spend 12.95 a month for a site through Pappashop. Before I have someone do a website for me I want a kiln and a newer computer.

Cheryl
Well I can totally understand that. A person needs to set priorities for sure.

As much as I couldn't really afford it, I did jump in regardless, but then I didn't have other expensive priorities at the time. I wouldn't suggest doing this though unless you have a business plan, educate yourself on promoting your website, optimization of the website, an idea of exactly what you expect to get in return on your investment etc. Otherwise, you're just throwing good money away.

A person really needs to sit down and think things out and educate yourself before spending a lot of money. and deciding if this is really what you want etc.

I spent probably a good year before getting my website, working out a business plan and web theme, design, shopping cart etc. the list goes on.

Old 2007-11-15, 12:15am

Definitely. Right now I'm working full time at a regular job so I have very little time for my creative work, which is a constant source of frustration. But it's a means to an end. Once I get out of debt I can start putting money away for things that will help me spend more time on my art. But if I had the money to have a site professionally done I would definitely consider Susan. Her designs are beautiful!

Cheryl

Old 2007-11-15, 1:29am

Susan
Let me know when you have time to match my name somehow with a page. I think I told you the one I liked best soo far but it might need to be tweeked a bit.
I just want one that flows nicely no matter what monitor size or resolution is being used....
I like the wavy lines and that you have in some of them and I thought with the name of my site that yellow, reds and oranges might work for me but I gotta say...I sure love the purples, pinks and blues too even moreso.
Too many choices...Your killing me! But I'm always up to any suggestions and I take advice rather well:-0
Just let me know if you come up with an idea!!!
Irene

Old 2007-11-15, 5:14am

Irene,

I will create some designs for the store that I think you will like over the next few days. Keep checking back when you think of it. I have a new one called Black Knight that is not in the warm tones, but really different and cool. If you go to this link you can see it: http://www.splashofmagic.com/images/black_knight.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Susan
Old 2007-11-17, 7:30pm

Susan, I see you have some more new and beautiful designs up. I am still hoping to see more of the earthy colored designs.
Old 2007-11-17, 8:40pm

Well, even though I can't afford one, Black Knight and Northstar are my favorites. I know that there will be others when I can afford it!

Cheryl

Old 2007-11-18, 1:39am

That Sandscape design is SOOOOOOO nice!

Last edited by sislonski; 2007-11-18 at 1:41am.
Old 2007-11-18, 2:05am

I'm still looking lol. Sometimes "More" choices is NOT better
Irene

Old 2007-11-21, 6:35am

Default Earth Colored Designs

Cindy,

Take a look at Tapestry. It's new and earthy. http://www.splashofmagic.com/images/tapestry.jpg

Susan
Old 2007-11-21, 11:48am

Susan, I know you have been working so hard! So many new designs. Tapestry just doesn't speak to me. Its a bit too elaborate for my taste and the teal just doesnt do it for me. I will keep checking though!

Thanks!
Old 2007-12-02, 8:31am

Default Kenya Design??

Here's a new earthy one: Kenya

http://www.splashofmagic.com/images/kenya.jpg

No sweat if it isn't what you want. I wanted to show it to you just incase.

Susan

P.S. The sale on Home Page Design is ending this Wednesday, December 5th.