LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2010-11-12, 8:54pm
Pyromaniac

I don't think so - but it probably saves a lot of work! Get creative - use a spoon or something.

edit: or marver roundish on a flat marver

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2010-11-12 at 9:03pm.
Old 2010-11-13, 3:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidjewel View Post
These look fantastic! Do you have to have a marble mold to do this? Sorry if that is an idiotic question^.^
No, not an idiotic question at all. Lots of innovations are made by "making do" with what you have. The Bunyip spoon is a great idea, an ice cream scoop or melon baller also work, or you could just try making a flat maria, too. I prefer to have a domed shape, because the iris seems to fill out better and give you more of the "following eye" effect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-11-13, 7:29am

hi chris

my ? is, you had a link on another board about a different eye tut. when i tried to link it, it ain,t there any more. is there some place i can see it? i think you posted it in 07.
thxs marvin
Old 2010-11-13, 8:24am

yes, marv, I did, I wrote a murrini eye tut and I had it on my webpage. I wiped my site and redesigned it a couple of months ago and haven't put the tut back up. My adsl is down atm because of a line fault, the company is working on it and they've given me an eta of within 5 days. I still have the tut and I can post it here once I'm back on line (using my phone right now).

Running a
Old 2010-11-13, 8:39am

hey chris, if you would i would surely appreciate it.i think it is so amazing how we are able to do all of this eletronic stuff [with phones and computers]. seems like you are just down the street, instead of on the other side of the world. boogles a old mans mind.
Old 2010-11-14, 6:40am

hope this works, uploaded the images to my phone and trying to post from there
Attached Images

Running a
Old 2010-11-14, 6:49am

here's the second bit. I've been told its similar to what Milan Townsend has in his book, but when I was working this technique out, I didn't know who Milan was, lol. I've re-invented the wheel so many times with different techniques because I wasn't aware of much of a lampworking movement internationally in my early days .. Ah well ... Anyway, I hope the tute is usable and understandable.
Attached Images

Running a
Old 2010-11-14, 6:56am

stupid phone made me say Milan instead of Milon ... Damn techmonology

Running a
Old 2010-11-14, 10:52am

thanks chris for the tut. if thats the worse that damn techmonology makes you do then you are ahead of the game .
Old 2010-11-14, 11:23am
I'm kinda biz-EE

OMG Chris, thanks so much for posting this awesome tutorial! I drool over your work (the aliens, oooooooh, I'm an SF freak, adore your aliens).

Old 2010-11-15, 8:21am
Pyromaniac

LOL I'm still trying to get a blue eye using NS colors... I may have to break down and buy more glass... OH NO!!! ()

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-11-15, 3:18pm

Won't be trying this now, but certainly great information that you have shared, Chris. With the results you get, no wonder your work is so well loved. Thanks!

Yvonne
Old 2010-11-16, 4:18pm

i just tryed the tut. on the eye murrine that chris posted it was easy to do. so easy in fact i screwed it up by trying to save my black by covering a clear rod with it. you can probable guess that my center had a thin black band around a clear center. so i get to practice this technique again. i only feel a little stoopid, oh well. anyways other than that the first one went great.
Old 2010-12-02, 10:11am
TravelLight&Don'tRush

wickedglass your repile eyes are amazing! Love the octopus eye too. Spectacular and thanks for sharing
Old 2010-12-06, 1:03am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

I keep forgetting to try this. They look like so much fun!

~
~
~
~
Old 2010-12-06, 2:04am

Default realistic eyes

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial complete with pics so I can understand it. Will definitely try to make some eyes tomorrow.
Very impressed with your technology too!
Ali
Old 2010-12-09, 11:38am
Always learnin' & yearnin

Thank you sooo much for this tut! Here is a Blue one and a green one I did... the green one didn't survive it cracked down the middle but I love this tech!!!!! Sorry for the bad pics!

Name:  120610002844.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  18.9 KB
Attached Images

Old 2010-12-09, 6:26pm

The eyes are loads of fun I got to get back to these. Good job Steven.
Old 2010-12-09, 11:57pm

Thank you Bunyip and wicked glass I will look around for some spoon or metal cup to use
Old 2016-05-29, 7:37pm
Lifelong Student

I know this is an old thread, but I would love to try this our. Could someone tell me:
in post #36 steps 4-6, is the powder he refers to enamel or glass? does it get melted in before applying the stringer? Do you melt in each layer of stringer to prevent trapping bubbles?

Last edited by Mina; 2022-04-24 at 3:26am.