Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-14, 7:08am
Angie09

Default HELP with earring display .... please!

We do shows and have lots of earrings. We fill up 2 of the rotating earring displays pictured below and use the black velvet holders that go over the wire and fit 3 pair per row. The problem is we have to set these up in the morning of the show and it takes tooooo much time. Does anyone have a way to secure the earrings to the display (I hate getting rid of them as they were $80/ea) so we could just lift the whole thing up and into a box when we break down??? Or maybe some other idea NOT using the metal displays ... just remember there is very little space in a 10x10 tent. There has to be a way to display the earrings and not have to disassemble it and then reassemble at every show. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Here's what I'm presently using:

Old 2013-12-14, 8:52am
The Andrea Half

You may or may not like the look .. we have used silver tone tiny tiny bulldog clips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-14, 9:45am
Katherine

When we used to do shows we had this type of issue with several items. What I did was - wrap the entire filled display with ace bandages. Then put the wrapped display inside a box and then put some type of filler around the display to secure it. We then just storage the items like this and did not open until next art show. This process took me just a few minutes - both to wrap up and also to take back out.

Old 2013-12-14, 10:27am

Katherine's idea sounds pretty good. The only other thing I can think of would be to make the cards a permanent part of the display with glue and then just removing the earring sets you sell to a new card for the customer. You can also get the plastic wrap stuff in different widths instead of using ace bandages.

Toni
Old 2013-12-14, 10:40am

I use a frame type hinged panel that opens up and the earrings are put on the panels by the black material the is streached in the back of the frame. I put earring through the material and use the stoppers on the back of them. Its easy to just fold up and take home, or take to shows and set up. It's also grat for security reasons.
When a customer buys a pair, I take them off the panel and put them on cards for packaging.
I have done this for hundreds of shows. Pm me if you want to see a picture.

Old 2013-12-14, 10:45am
Dix Harrison

I know this sounds weird. Try a tiny dot of low-temp hot glue in the groove on the back of the earring card. Then, "fasten" to the display. Will hold, but able to pop loose when someone purchases.

Test first to be sure it won't remove the finish of your display piece.

If that doesn't work, you might try that blue putty sticky stuff.

(We used to have a devil of a time holding student artwork and other paper items (such as posters) on the wall at school. Most schools have cinder-bock walls. Only expensive foam stickies would hold the artwork. We had masking tape--it didn't last. We were told specifically NOT to use the blue or white putty-type of sticky stuff. It left greasy spots on the wall. No duct tape. It took the paint right off the wall. Many years ago, on a whim, I tried using a little dob of hot glue in each corner on back of the artwork. The glue would squish into the texture of the cinder block and it held like a charm. When time to remove, it just popped off. No paint damage. Cheap, too!)
Old 2013-12-14, 12:10pm
Judy Nelson

I slip my swivel rack into like a smallish dry cleaning bag and pull it tight then wrap it with something stretchy, ace bandages are a great idea. Having it in the plastic holds any earrings safe just incase one falls off. This last show nothing fell off and I drive 5 miles on a rough, bumpy road to the highway.
Old 2013-12-14, 12:19pm
Angie09

The ace bandages I would have never thought of ... thank you all!!!
Old 2013-12-14, 12:27pm
Back to 👊 1

There's stretch wrap too.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2013-12-14, 1:47pm

I use Saran quite a bit for storing and packing stuff.
I buy the generic stuff and cut the tube into 1.5" strips for holding things together as the glue sets.

Old 2013-12-14, 5:54pm

Hi, I just put my earring rack into a giant black garbage bag and loosely tie it at the top and then I put it in a box for stability while driving to the show. The odd earring or card will fall off but we are careful opening the bag and put it back.

Works for me.
Old 2013-12-14, 8:07pm

Cut a piece of vinyl tubing of the appropriate diameter, the length of the rail the earring cards hang on. Slit this piece length wise, just cut through one side of the tubing. Put cards and earrings on the rail. Open the slit in the tube and slide it over the first card and rail and then continue on down the rail. Either leave the tubing in place, for security at shows, or remove it when you display.

Bob Keyes

There is no more powerful cleaning fluid than the spit from your Mother's tongue.
Old 2013-12-14, 8:43pm
Salt Box Beads

I started this thread on my homemade jewelry displays.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=242897
Old 2013-12-15, 8:19am
Peerless Thread Killer

Great suggestions on this thread!

Old 2013-12-15, 8:44am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by neagle View Post
Great suggestions on this thread!
I agree!!!
Old 2013-12-15, 4:20pm

A friend of mine makes her earring cards to fold over, so she slips them over the display bar with the earrings on the front. Then she takes a pillow case, folds it down, places the rack inside and folds the sides of the pillow case up. She secures the top and makes sure she keeps it standing upright. At a show she just folds the sides down and rarely has any cards that have slipped off.
Cate
Old 2013-12-15, 4:29pm
Angie09

Guess I'll have to try the plastic bag worth bandage wrap at our next show. Hope it works as well as you all say. And thanks for all the good suggestions.
Old 2013-12-15, 8:33pm
offically down under

I have a similar type stand and I used to use Glad Wrap which worked great. But... in an effort to have less crap to bring, I made a "wrap" out of polar fleece, elastic and snaps. Super simple and not too tight to damage anything. Then, I put the stand into a cheap plastic bucket to keep things protected and the earring stand upright whilst traveling. As an added bonus, the bucket becomes my garbage pail during the market. If I were really desperate, I suppose I could relieve myself in it but thankfully, it hasn't come to that YET.

Old 2013-12-17, 2:14pm

I use cheap saran wrap from the dollar store, and it has worked well, but am LOVING Tammy's idea of the fleece and elastic! smart smart smart!!! i already have velcro strips that might work just as well as the elastic... hmmmmm.... and the fleece offers more protection too. brilliant!

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2013-12-17, 3:49pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish915 View Post
I use cheap saran wrap from the dollar store, and it has worked well, but am LOVING Tammy's idea of the fleece and elastic! smart smart smart!!! i already have velcro strips that might work just as well as the elastic... hmmmmm.... and the fleece offers more protection too. brilliant!
The most important thing is the bucket. It keeps everything upright and protected when you bump in and out of shows.

Old 2013-12-18, 7:18am
The Andrea Half

I use a variant of the polar fleece -- an old comforter and the flat bungee cords, wrapped around the frames we use for our necklace displays. The comforter wraps between AND around the necklaces and serves both as cushion and as wrap, plus no material for the landfill or extra cost for us (plastic wrap is spendy!) For the earrings I really like the Ace bandages, too.

Old 2013-12-18, 7:22am
Ave

Well all your ideas sound so fast and easy! I end up putting up and taking down these two racks every show.. A real PIA but my ear wires have dimensional components that does not allow for earring cards so they need to be free hanging.. The racks do allow for lots of earring /customer interaction though.
Avery

Old 2013-12-18, 6:08pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunting View Post
Well all your ideas sound so fast and easy! I end up putting up and taking down these two racks every show.. A real PIA but my ear wires have dimensional components that does not allow for earring cards so they need to be free hanging.. The racks do allow for lots of earring /customer interaction though.
Avery
I love the look of the racks. I don't use earring cards either as I find they take up too much room. As I do mostly outside markets, I use a stand that allows me to put the earwires through.

Old 2013-12-18, 8:16pm
Angie09

Quote:
Avery
LOVE the look of your booth!!
Old 2013-12-18, 9:02pm
Glass-aholic

I have a few of these. http://m.dhgate.com/product/tree-jew...86.html#pd-100

I just put them in the box (or in the front seat of my car, or well... I abuse them a bit) lol
Rarely do they ever come off. I do have a few pairs I keep backs on, mainly cuz they like to tangle Cheep and easy. A store near me has these for 4.99 right now. I don't put all of them on here. I have a 3tier iron stand (I think it was a plate or bowl stand, triangle not round) simple and easy. I plastic wrap it with a towel. I loose a few here and there, but I bag it so it's not bad.

Ps I once used 4x6 printed cards for my key beads and clipped them to a rack very similar to the above display. I used the mini binder clips to secure them. I would just pick up the whole rack and put a loose trash bag around it when I left. Im sure on a smaller scale (or not)this could work well for earrings. Especially if they are on cards, you can put the backers on for extra support. If you have them on cards now think about a shutter system that closes and "locks" everything inside with a cloth separator. Mini clips can be your friend.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2013-12-18 at 9:08pm.
Old 2013-12-19, 4:52pm
Focus?

Quote:
Avery
Great booth! Did you make your light bars? Are they sectional or one straight run each side?

A-62

Old 2013-12-20, 4:34am
Ave

Thanks Debbie,
Sectional that you can connect to each other to make a long run, courtesy of Home Depot..
Avery

Old 2013-12-20, 7:43am

Wow great booth mamabunting. Do you find you have much theft with your earrings?

My Ebay
Old 2013-12-20, 1:10pm
Ave

As soon as I went to cases instead of tables I have had no theft.. The racks are very easy to monitor.
Avery

Old 2013-12-20, 1:18pm
Wonder-wench

did going to closed cases affect your sales at all?