LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-25, 11:48am

Default My studio will be in a 10' x 12' unheated shed.

I have been planning my studio for more than a year. My husband and I have debated over the safety issues and determined that outside in a separate building is the best fit. I have finally worked enough overtime to buy my shed, and I am looking for insight on lampworking in a cold environment, Upstate NY. Here are my top 6 questions any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. I assume that any heat that is generated by my torch and kiln running will be vented out my ventilation system. Is this a correct assumption?

2. My kiln will be annealing overnight in my shed. I have a Paragon Caldera Kiln with digital controller, will my work anneal properly?

3. I have investigated clothing for Ice Fishing, boots to long underwear. Does anyone have any advice on keeping warm in the Icy/hot shed?

4. I plan on running a line outside to my propane hutch. Are there any plans on the internet about building a propane hutch?

5. I would like to have 2 torches preferably facing each other. How far apart should the flames be?

6. I have been entertaining thoughts of running the floor heaters underneath my tile. It seems very pricey and then you have to pay to run it.
Old 2008-09-25, 1:23pm

1. Insulate the shed. A room heater from walmart will keep you at about 60 degrees which will be OK for working.

2. Your work will anneal just fine.

3. Good boots and warm wolly socks with a barn jacket will work. Don't forget a close fitting cap for your head and ears.

4. Garbage can - plastic - with a good fitting top and strategicly placed holes.

5. not good - V them off each other you will loose stuff in the others flame

6. nah -- save the money for glass.

Jen
Old 2008-09-25, 1:53pm

Out of curiosity (because I'm looking at doing the same thing with about the same size shed) how are you venting and running make up air? If you don't mind me asking?
Thanks
Kelly
Old 2008-09-25, 1:55pm

I stand on a small heated floor mat. They cost around $50 and use very little electricity. If you Google heated floor mat, you will find many options.
Old 2008-09-25, 2:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurvey View Post
Out of curiosity (because I'm looking at doing the same thing with about the same size shed) how are you venting and running make up air? If you don't mind me asking?
Thanks
Kelly
Dear Kelly
I have decided to use a fume hood. You can see a picture at http://www.griffinglass.com/tools.html . The make up air will be from windows accross from me and one to the right of me. I haven't decided on a fan. My dream fan would be quiet and variable speed.

Thanks!
Old 2008-09-25, 2:24pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurvey View Post
Thanks
Kelly
Here is option that keeps warmed air in studio in winter and cooled air inside studio in summer...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=150

See second graphic...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-25, 2:30pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilzsap View Post
Dear Kelly
I have decided to use a fume hood. You can see a picture at http://www.griffinglass.com/tools.html . The make up air will be from windows accross from me and one to the right of me. I haven't decided on a fan. My dream fan would be quiet and variable speed.

Thanks!
Check with Griffin Glass if their fans are rated "free air CFM" or "duct booster CFM".... They look suspiciously like the Glasscraft hoods that were/are discussed at length on other parts of forum and noted that fans were very under powered. If Griffin Glass can not give you exact answer to CFM question have them give you name and model number of fans they use so you can do independent research.

Just a heads up... I may be all wrong on this.... But only a "free air CFM" value is acceptable rating for ventilation hoods. IF you want to subscribe to the 125CFM per square foot of hood opening rule, fan needs to be at least a 875 CFM "free air" capacity.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-09-25 at 2:38pm.
Old 2008-09-25, 7:03pm
Glass Geek

A couple of Christmas' ago, my husband gave me an overhead lamp that has a light in it as well as two heat lamps. It has three settings in addition to off: lamp, lamp and one heat element and lamp with both heat elements. The light is ok, but the heat is exquisite! I also have a parabolic heater for down lower, but find that I don't use it so much since I received the overhead lamp.

He bought it on Amazon - he thinks. Here's a link to one that doesn't have the light in it but you might not need that anyways...
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...nt-heater.aspx
Old 2008-09-25, 7:25pm

Sounds like the overhead lamps/lights I saw in Boston where the hotel employees waited for guests to arrive. The snow was blowing across the paving area and these guys only had those overhead lamps ...and their coats etc. I wouldn't leave my dog out in those conditions....if I had a dog. The lamps put out terrific heat tho.

Kym
Old 2008-09-26, 9:37am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Lots of Layers!
our fuses can't afford to have my kiln and a heater on at the same time, so I nuke a bean bag/rice bag, tuck it down one of my 4 sweatshirts, make SURE I have my scarf around my neck (and tucked in well) and a hooded shirt.

I'll have to get good inulated boots, and something for my knees, cuz last winter was pretty toe/knee freezing.
Otherwise, I don't feel the cold when i'm concentrating...until I STOP.

Old 2008-09-26, 9:46am

Remember that your glass will be pretty shocky too if you don't preheat your rods.