Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-11-18, 12:07pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default * The BOC CRITTER TUTORIAL WORKBOOK Is Now Ready *

IN CASE you are looking for free Critter Tutorials, here is the link to LE Tut's:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOW TO THIS MESSAGE:
Hey you fine folks, BOC has the new Critter Tutorial Workbook posted on it's website. It is hard to find right now because they are overhauling their site, so here is the direct link.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here are some pics of the Workbook and some Critters worked up as necklaces. Please know that 60% of each sale goes to benefit BOC and the children. The Workbook is over 85 pages long and is full-sized (8-1/2" x 11") and spiral bound to be used as a reference at the torch. And there are zillions of pictures to each tutorial in case you are a visual learner!

If you have a hankering to make up some darling Critter Beads for the little ones this Christmas this is your guide! The BOC site doesn't have much info on the Workbook, so feel free to go to my site and read about it, and then go order it on the BOC site!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-02-01 at 1:35pm.
Old 2010-11-18, 5:12pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Just got back online after off all day...thank you!!!!! Just ordered...can't wait!!!!!

Pat
Old 2010-11-18, 6:11pm

I just ordered mine. It will be nice to have a guide to more "boy" type beads, although I think they'll like the honey bees I sent recently. (Note to self: Make more!)

Thank you to those who put all the efforts into this tutorial.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-11-18, 8:31pm

I got two, one will be a Christmas gift. This is so cool.

-D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2010-11-19, 7:51am
Angel's Mom

Gotta have it!
Old 2010-11-30, 8:05pm
Slave to the Flame

Too cute! These critters have alot of personality!

Our Website!

Our Latest ITEMS

Supplies

Our BLOG
Old 2010-12-01, 8:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you! I want to remind everyone that though the beads are created on pressed bodies in the Tutorials, you can easily go round and add the same faces and features taught in the tutorials for 3-D beads... like this fat Piggie for example...

Here are a few I just worked up using the Workbook faces and limbs.

.•:*¨*:•.

Old 2010-12-03, 4:19pm

Thanks Kristina!! I received mine today. I'm going to have way too much fun with this book

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-12-03, 5:42pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Oh, I'm so glad! Enjoy and post your creations!
Old 2010-12-03, 7:09pm

Mine arrived as well. I enjoyed looking through it at work. Can't wait to try some of the animals.

Duane- we'll have to have a critter competition next time we meet-- after I whup ya at cribbage, that is!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-12-05, 5:44pm
Katherine

I just ordered also. Can't wait

Old 2010-12-06, 10:22pm
Loook eeentooo my eyyees

Love the little piggy's round little hiney. So cute.

-
-

Old 2010-12-07, 6:11am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you! Here are a few more round Critters. Once you learn to make the features you can put them on any shape base...

Old 2010-12-07, 5:12pm

So the book will be mailed to us? Does it also come with a digital edition so we can get started on it before the actual book arrives?
Not sure how this works

Old 2010-12-08, 6:19am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
So the book will be mailed to us? Does it also come with a digital edition so we can get started on it before the actual book arrives?
Not sure how this works

Yes, it's mailed out from the Beads of Courage headquarters. You can order it here:

To get you started before the book arrives, or just for the fun of making them, here is the link to tutorials for these Critters (in the Tutorial Section of LE):

.•:*:•.

I'm sorry but there is no digital edition at this point. It's a jumbo, spiral-bound Workbook (for reference at the torch). It really is to big for a PDF download at 87 pages and 8-1/2" x 11". It's about 3/4" thick. Every page has multiple pictures, with just a few exceptions. The other reason it was printed and spiral bound was that most people don't have the means to bind the book, even if they could download and print it out. It has sections on Tips to make Critters, Tools and pulling Stringer, plus the 16 Tutorials.

Hope that helps!

.•:*¨¨*:•.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-08 at 6:21am.
Old 2010-12-08, 1:07pm

I received mine. I like the spiral binding it makes it easy to lay it open and flat on my work bench. The tutorials have good clear pictures and the instructions are well done. The one sided page format gives me lots of space for notes, favorite color choices, doodles etc.
Thanks much.
Old 2010-12-08, 2:11pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Oh, I appreciate hearing that! Thank you for posting!
Old 2010-12-09, 9:46am

Great!!! As soon as I'm done with school (Today) I'm going to order. I've totally lost my mojo and these are just way too cute!!
Thanks Kristina for making it available

Old 2010-12-09, 12:29pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Well, remember that these Critters can multiply onto anything...

this little guy is in the Workbook, and I keep finding new things to add him to!

and this fat kitty is in the Workbook too. In this version she can't believe she ate the WHOLE thing... and it keeps getting bigger with each telling!

Those are supposed to be bubbles in her tummy, but they need a bit more work!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-14 at 5:38am.
Old 2010-12-13, 8:21pm
Katherine

Quote:
I received mine. I like the spiral binding it makes it easy to lay it open and flat on my work bench. The tutorials have good clear pictures and the instructions are well done. The one sided page format gives me lots of space for notes, favorite color choices, doodles etc.
Thanks much.
Ditto as i could not say it better - other than I love this tut. Thanks.

Old 2010-12-14, 6:24pm
Linda

Great job, Kristina. I received my workbook today. I haven't attempted making critters since I took a lampworking glass from Judy Peppers at William Holland School of Lapidary years ago. (She's a fun teacher!) The workbook will definitely help me. Thanks. Linda
Old 2010-12-14, 7:30pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you so much! I sure hope it brings a lot of joy to folks and presents critter making in clear, understandable steps.
Old 2010-12-15, 7:56pm

Got mine today too. Looks fantastic. Can't wait to start playing

Thanks Kristina!!!

Old 2010-12-28, 4:52pm
Katherine

Kristina, What is the best size mandrel to use to make the bead for BOC?

Old 2010-12-28, 5:19pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Kristina, What is the best size mandrel to use to make the bead for BOC?

I would use 3/32" or 1/8" - in that size range for easy stringing by little fingers. The thicker mandrels are better at first when learning to work the Critters.

You can see the good sized mandrel hole in the kitty below. I think she was made with a 3/32 mandrel.