Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-07, 5:41am

Default Making a round bead

(I posted this question on another thread, but I don't think there is much action there, so I am reposting here. I hope that this is OK.)

I've seen two methods to wrap the first layer around when making a round bead. I'm confused.

One method had one lay down a thin, somewhat narrow layer of glass on the mandrel and then add on top of it. The other one had the glass wrapped, then the next wrap near it, fuse them together and then rounded it.

When I try to do it, I am not able to get a wide wrap of glass on the mandrel; it ends up being very narrow. I also have trouble getting that ball of molten glass on the end of the rod. It looks like an eel instead of a ball, even though I am rotating the rod the whole time.

Thanks for any help,
Jib
Old 2014-10-07, 6:13am
Gentleman of Leisure

The way you start the bead, double wrap and connect or single narrow wrap and amount of glass on bead will determine the (usually) final shape of bead,,, The double wrap and connect plus amount of glass will usually create a round bead... The narrow single wrap will usually create a donut shaped bead ... the reason is the glass is not prone to flow along mandrel but to stay where it is initially placed.... To get glass to flow along mandrel you need lots of heat and you usually have to "move it" with marvers or tools...

And as for getting glass to flow, remember "earth sucks", the amount of heat and the way you move rod or wind of glass on mandrel will always move the molten glass down.... You have to counter that movement by centrifugal force or by rotating rods or mandrels at correct speed so gravity exerts equal force around molten glass glob...

The laws of fluid dynamics always work on glass when it is in its molten "plastic" state....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2014-10-07 at 6:19am.
Old 2014-10-07, 6:25am

I tend to do a single normal wrap, maybe double for a bigger bead. I then flatten it by rolling it on a marver, so I have a tube/cylinder bead. That is my base. Then I add more glass in the middle. Usually this works to get a round(er) bead than a donut.
Old 2014-10-07, 2:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
The way you start the bead, double wrap and connect or single narrow wrap and amount of glass on bead will determine the (usually) final shape of bead,,, The double wrap and connect plus amount of glass will usually create a round bead... The narrow single wrap will usually create a donut shaped bead ... the reason is the glass is not prone to flow along mandrel but to stay where it is initially placed.... To get glass to flow along mandrel you need lots of heat and you usually have to "move it" with marvers or tools...

And as for getting glass to flow, remember "earth sucks", the amount of heat and the way you move rod or wind of glass on mandrel will always move the molten glass down.... You have to counter that movement by centrifugal force or by rotating rods or mandrels at correct speed so gravity exerts equal force around molten glass glob...

The laws of fluid dynamics always work on glass when it is in its molten "plastic" state....

Dale
Thank you very much!
Nancy