No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-07-20, 6:51am
Another band aid pleeeze

Default Encasing Devardi

Yes - I know that there are some very strong and mixed opinions on Devardi glass, but I am curious about others' experiences with encasement. I have found that encasing Devardi with Effetre clear (or Super Clear) nearly always results in a gazillion little cracks, yet I find the Devardi clear to be rather yucky.

Has anyone been successful encasing Devardi with a clear other than Devardi clear?

Stefanie
Old 2015-07-20, 10:42am
Borovangelist

I'm given the impression they don't do a lot of cross compatibility testing.

I can only gauge based on the boro I received from them, but it was coated with who knows what kind of nastiness, so you *might* get a better result if you give it a good scrub before you try encasing.

My best advice would be to keep it to just that one manufacturer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2015-07-20, 1:02pm
Phill

You could try using the same clear glass inside as a base with the Devardi over that and then encase with the clear.

But its just a guess on my part.
Old 2015-07-21, 4:29am
Another band aid pleeeze

Thanks gentlemen. I scrub everything, but I haven't tried Phill's idea of laying down a core layer of the clear I will use for encasement. Certainly worth a shot.
Back to the drawing board
Stefanie
Old 2015-07-22, 7:30am
Artistically Absorbed

I have not had any problem with their brown. I love theirs because it doesn't have the red or gray tint in it and is more of a true brown. I think you would have to take each color, or maybe even batch and make testers to be sure. I think the pinks don't encase well if I remember right, that is what I heard, but don't know first hand.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2015-07-22, 1:57pm
Another band aid pleeeze

I love their browns too - along a bunch of their transparent jewel tones. I've been unable to detect any consistency with regard to which colors are most "tempermental" about encasement.
Thanks for the heads up on the pinks!
Old 2015-07-24, 2:49pm
Lisa Berczel

I'm relatively new to this (6 months) and was also having trouble encasing. The Devardi's stiffness (which I like for some things) was making it difficult to do the honey-consistency encasing techniques. I checked in with them and Moretti clear was suggested for doing this kind of work. There's a there here (locked, I think?) that goes into a ton of detail regarding encasing Devardi - if memory serves both torch and kiln temperature influenced the cracking.
Old 2015-07-24, 6:04pm
Another band aid pleeeze

Thanks!
I recall a bunch of threads related to Devardi, but that one in particular. I'll check around for it.
Old 2015-07-25, 1:33am

I seem to be the odd one out on this, but I work a pretty cool flame on my Devardi torch, and it encases really well for me, with both effetre, and their own clear encasing strips. The trick is not to rush it, or get it too close to the head of the torch... Gotta go slow with Devardi. Preheat even the smaller rods too. Yes it slows you down, and couldn't probably be used for lots of production level work, but I love the colors, and have learned to work with almost all of it.

Some of thier opaque glasses are not worth the effort, unless you need a neutral base for something else, or frit. But I adore thier transparents and pinks, and encase them all. Wish my iPad would up load images...

Guess my advice would be go slow, work cool, further out in a bushier flame. If you can learn to make this glass work for you, you can work any glass! And I like the challenge!