Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-09, 7:11pm

Default Help with hearts please....

Seems that everyone wants hearts, but after trying for 3 years, I can't get them to look right. They are either too flat and thick or too short and look like they should be wearing a DD bra. Any suggestions?

Donna

Beaded Chic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-09, 7:21pm

Hi Donna-Not sure how you make yours but I wind mine with the mandrel running vertically through the heart. I wind a cone shape nice and wide at the top, narrow at the bottom. I heat the top in one spot and use my graphite tool to indent the heart. Repeat the same on the opposite side.

The tricky part is using heat and gravity to shape the heart from this point on. I aim the flame at one lobe of the heart at a time while remembering insurance heat on the other side and the bottom. As one lobe softens and starts to move I turn that lobe toward the ground and elevate the narrow end. You just have to eyeball it at this point until it becomes the shape you like. Then repeat on the other side.

TIP:Try not to heat the narrow end enough that it becomes pointy. You just want it to stay warm so it doesn't crack. If it does get pointy you can add a little collar of glass and melt it in.

Let me know if this makes sense and good luck!
Old 2012-07-09, 9:56pm
Glass-aholic

There is a short tutorial on my website. It shows some pics and gives a few pointers on making hearts UPSIDE DOWN to get the best use of ergonomics and use of gravity.

i Work one lobe at a time. And cool in between as not to distort. You can flare the lobes out more and then melt them in again by spinning the mandrel with a bit of heat like a hillicopter wood toy the 'T' shaped sticks. Just be careful ad glass can spit off at you! The I melt it where I want it after that. I'll try and take some video too when I get back to the torch No promise on soon though lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-09, 10:16pm
Salt Box Beads

I like using different shaped heart presses.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:28pm
Unmedicated since '62

there is a tut somewhere here, you might have to google "puffy heart" i think it might have been by Kalera but i'm not sure, its the best one i've ever seen

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-07-10, 12:04am
Storm Queen

Amy's tutorial helped me years and years ago when I wanted to make some:
http://www.amytrescott.com/hearttutorial.htm

Old 2012-07-10, 2:44am

Jinx Garza has a great tutorial for hearts with a vertical hole. I think I make a fairly decent heart and this is the tutorial I used to learn how.

http://home.comcast.net/~bgould152548/pix/Spotlight.htm

I wish I could find one for a heart with a horizontal hole that's as helpful as this.
Old 2012-07-10, 5:47am

If you can get ahold of a copy of Corina's "Passing the Flame" (which you should consider doing for lots of reasons!) there is a really nice set of instructions with great pics. My very first one came out quite nicely using these instructions.

Glass Witch: n; a sandwich to which heat and pressure have been applied
Old 2012-07-10, 9:17am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Make'em off mandrel and add a loop or punch a hole in one lobe. Easy Peazy
Old 2012-07-10, 9:30am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Here's a great DVD Mr Smiley produced all about off mandrel hearts. It is in boro, but can be converted to use for soft fairly easily.

http://www.brentgraber.com/catalog.php?category=24

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-07-10, 10:10pm
Happy Inner Dragon

If it's any help at all, I did a mini-tut for puffy hearts, too
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=217538

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107