Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-08, 9:24pm
too many rods in the fire

Default Best place to buy a diamond bit glass saw?

Any suggestions? I am just starting to explore slumping, stained glass and maybe a bit of fusing (as if my 7+ year lampworking obsession isn't NEARLY enough, lol!).

I am realizing that I probably would get good use out of a glass saw, but haven't the first clue what brand might be better than others, what a reasonable price is, etc.

Any info you can share is appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-11-09, 5:51am

We purchased a used Diamond Laser 1000 at an estate sale. It is the most awesome little beginners saw! However, in research, we have found that its 'newer version' the diamond laser 3000xl was much hated for its price, cheapness, and volume! Everyone sited that the older saw was better, better made, quieter, etc.
so, I can't tell you too much,except that the 3000xl should be passed over for a 1000 if you can.
And that our little 1000 has cut everything from tiny slices of murrini to big devardi cane with great ease!
Good luck!
Old 2014-11-09, 6:45am

I just started slumping and doing warm glass myself. I have found AAE Glass to be awesome. They have a group on facebook as well. The owner posts free videos on youtube. Delphi glass is great too. They have lots of how to videos on their web site. Youtube is good too.
Old 2014-11-09, 10:01am

Delphi Glass has a lot of good saws, my favorite being the Taurus 3 Ringsaw. Efficient, low-maintenance, and very reliable. Not the cheapest of the lot, but you get what you pay for.
Old 2014-11-09, 10:04am
Katherine

Consider what you want to cut with your saw first before making your decision.

* fused glass or the glass before it is fused say for stained glass
and
* the size of the glass pieces you want to cut

I cut small pieces that are thicker due to either being fused or lampworked - so for me a ring saw with a mega blade works best.

Old 2014-11-09, 5:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
Consider what you want to cut with your saw first before making your decision.

* fused glass or the glass before it is fused say for stained glass
and
* the size of the glass pieces you want to cut

I cut small pieces that are thicker due to either being fused or lampworked - so for me a ring saw with a mega blade works best.
This is very helpful information, and exactly what I needed! Thank you!

I want to be able to cut small, rather complex shapes for fusing, and haven't even given much thought on how I could incorporate the saw with my lampworked pieces.... Yet.

Old 2014-11-10, 11:08am
randomly active member

For the type of cutting you want to do it sounds like a ring saw is what you need. I just got myself a Taurus 3 and have been very pleased with it so far. The work surface and blade positioning allow for any kind of freeform cuts you would need. There are accessory packs for helping with circles and straight cuts, and also different blades you can purchase for different uses.

I found Maple City Glass has the best prices on tools and equipment with reasonable shipping cost.

http://www.maplecityglass.com/
.:.

Old 2014-11-15, 12:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiedog View Post
For the type of cutting you want to do it sounds like a ring saw is what you need. I just got myself a Taurus 3 and have been very pleased with it so far. The work surface and blade positioning allow for any kind of freeform cuts you would need. There are accessory packs for helping with circles and straight cuts, and also different blades you can purchase for different uses.

I found Maple City Glass has the best prices on tools and equipment with reasonable shipping cost.

http://www.maplecityglass.com/
Thanks for the tip on this seller! I will check them out.

Old 2014-11-17, 10:54am
specializing in obnoxious

Rene,

I have a Taurus ring saw that you are welcome to come try out. I think we picked it up at Rainbow.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2014-11-17, 1:58pm

Sarah, that would be wonderful!!! I can return your mold at the same time too. : )