Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-24, 7:20pm

Default Question about a kiln- need advice

I couldn't find my other thread about kilns. Can someone please check this auction: http://www.justbeads.com/listings/de...mnum=859094293

and tell me if you think it would be a good starter kiln for me to anneal my beads? She says the inner dimensions are 9 inches or so. It can't be programmed but it has an infinite switch and pyrometer. She says she's annealed beads in it for several years.

The auction ends in two days. Please help me decide whether or not to bid.

Thanks!

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-24, 7:41pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
I couldn't find my other thread about kilns. Can someone please check this auction: http://www.justbeads.com/listings/de...mnum=859094293

and tell me if you think it would be a good starter kiln for me to anneal my beads? She says the inner dimensions are 9 inches or so. It can't be programmed but it has an infinite switch and pyrometer. She says she's annealed beads in it for several years.

The auction ends in two days. Please help me decide whether or not to bid.

Thanks!

Cheryl
That would be a good starter kiln and that's a reasonable (but not outstanding) price.

In comparison, a new AIM 84BD with bead door and pyrometer is $300.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-24, 7:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

A couple of things I didn't like about the auction is that the pic is not of the actual kiln, the kiln has "done a lot of travelling", and is sold as is.

You *can* anneal beads in this kiln, but it is much much less convenient than a kiln with a digital controller. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting a kiln with a digital controller. They can be had for around $500 or slightly less.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-24, 8:07pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
A couple of things I didn't like about the auction is that the pic is not of the actual kiln, the kiln has "done a lot of travelling", and is sold as is.
Good points. I hadn't read the text that carefully. If I had, a BIG red flag would have raised. I read that as meaning, it isn't the kiln shown in the photo, it's pretty beat up, and if you buy it and don't like it you can't return it.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-24, 8:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
Good points. I hadn't read the text that carefully. If I had, a BIG red flag would have raised. I read that as meaning, it isn't the kiln shown in the photo, it's pretty beat up, and if you buy it and don't like it you can't return it.
Yup. Me too!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-24, 8:15pm

I'm getting a red flag of my own about this one. I think I'm going to pass on it. My Dad is lending me the money to buy it, and he gave me only 260.00. I don't think I can get him to lend me any more. I have my beads batch annealed by various people at this point and I think I may stick with that until I can afford a new kiln. Dennis, thanks so much for your offer but I can't quite swing the $300, especially when you add on shipping, etc. But I'll keep you in mind for the future.

Cheryl

Old 2007-03-24, 9:10pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
I'm getting a red flag of my own about this one. I think I'm going to pass on it. My Dad is lending me the money to buy it, and he gave me only 260.00. I don't think I can get him to lend me any more. I have my beads batch annealed by various people at this point and I think I may stick with that until I can afford a new kiln. Dennis, thanks so much for your offer but I can't quite swing the $300, especially when you add on shipping, etc. But I'll keep you in mind for the future.

Cheryl
Check your Private Messages

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan