Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-20, 3:14pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Hand View Post
I blow my own shards. Some samples of what i did with them:

The outline work on this set is just awesome. You got some serious control!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-04-20, 3:15pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
It is an addiction he is right. When I was still on the torch he was my pusher too Very consistent product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-09-19, 8:15pm
Aventurine Dream

I'm interested in the possibilities of clear shards as a super thin encasement layer.

This thread has some beautiful examples of shards as a design element and I'm wondering if anyone has some example of using clear shards to case, make a multilayered effect with thin layers or to separate reacting elements.

I just ordered some clear shards because my own attempts to make them were very poor. but in the meantime I tried using clear cover slips on 104 beads and that appears to have worked even though they are almost certainly "a different COE". More on that experiment in this blog post...http://www.aventurinedreamblog.com/2...n-cover-slips/

anyway, I think it has some bearing on the question of using different COE shards. the fact that you can do cased stringer with different COE suggests that very thin layers do mitigate the incompatibility.

Heidi Hardner

Old 2012-09-20, 11:23am

I blow my own shards & think it's so fun. I had success the very first time (yeah!!) and I did have one blow up on me. After the initial shock, it was pretty funny. Do y'all blow them thick? I think I'm doing mine too thin.
Old 2012-09-20, 3:14pm
Lover of all things color

Mine always blow out, I've had one that was a success. I prefer to just buy from Joe.

As for the clear shards, I've used them with silvered glass, after reducing the glass put the shards on and you have some silvered glass that is uncovered with the metallic sheen and part that is under the clear and very colorful. Sorry I don't have an example of that, I just can't find the pic.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-09-20, 3:19pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've tried using purchased clear shards to cover silver glass, with varying success. But the variations were more about my skills than the method.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107