No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-10, 10:11am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Default The Glass Hive Bead Annealer vs. Paragon Bluebird

I am considering a second kiln and was researching the Bluebird and the bead annealer by The Glass Hive.

I have considered the Chili Pepper, but decided that I wanted a fire brick interior...

I would REALLY appreciate ANY pros/cons or opionion regarding either kiln...or even if you have any other suggestions....

Thanks very much!!!
~Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2007-05-10, 10:30am
da General

I have Mike Crowley's 2-door Glass Hive Annealer and love it. He is the best when it comes to customer service!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-05-10, 10:52am
ID10T Problem Solver

I have the Bluebird and it doesn't have a firebrick interior.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-05-10, 11:15am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
I have the Bluebird and it doesn't have a firebrick interior.

Oh, wow...I thought it did .....Thanks for that. I think I am pretty much going with the Bead Hive kiln, but just wanted some opinions....I really like their warranty!

Thanks very much!!!
~Lynn

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2007-05-10, 11:15am

LOVE my Glass Hive annealer. Plus, its rated to 1700 °F which will get you into the PMC range if you're interested in that.
Old 2007-05-10, 11:45am
Damn Frit Bitch

And they have one with extra wide doors..... I want one like that!!! And the nice self to lay your mandrels on...... Sigh!
Old 2007-05-10, 12:03pm
Spell check please

I have a Bluebird and love it. Here is a pic of the inside. It has fiber floor and side walls. The top (ceiling) is brick type with firing coils in it. The fiber is coated with a binder that makes it hard. So no worries of it coming apart.
I put my beads right on the kiln floor to anneal. They don't stick unless you put them in when molten hot. I love the two 10 inch doors it has. It has a 2 year warranty
Elaine

Last edited by nitefire; 2007-05-10 at 12:09pm.
Old 2007-05-10, 12:05pm
Formerly known as LT

I have seen both at a show last year. We used the Glass Hive annealer in class. I would recomend the 2 door model over the 1 door. Less heat is lost when you add your beads. The bonus is the customer service. They are great people and always willing to help.

Old 2007-05-10, 5:51pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldt's Glass View Post
I have seen both at a show last year. We used the Glass Hive annealer in class. I would recomend the 2 door model over the 1 door. Less heat is lost when you add your beads. The bonus is the customer service. They are great people and always willing to help.
There all 2 door now for no extra charge,with a 3 year warranty. that single door one at the show is about 7 years old and its a freind of mine that we just used for the class.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2007-05-10, 6:44pm

I got my wife a Bluebird. I got it from Clay King http://www.clay-king.com/itempbluebird.htm and was very impressed by his service. Compared to the Glass Hive kiln the Bluebird is slightly wider at 20 inches verses 18 inches. It also draws less electricity at 8amps verses 13 amps so it plays nicer with other things in your shop and can probably get by without a dedicated circuit. You don't want to have much else on it though. Another big plus for the Bluebird is that it is almost half the cost of the Glass Hive kiln. In the Glass Hive's favor, it is an all brick kiln so it will hold heat better. More important in my mind though is that the Glass Hive has 4 inch tall doors instead of the 2 3/4 inch high doors on the Bluebird. For beads this isn't a big deal, but it limits any sculpture you may want to do unless your other kiln has a regular sized door.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-05-10, 10:17pm
Formerly known as LT

Quote:
There all 2 door now for no extra charge,with a 3 year warranty. Mike
Mike that's great to know!

Old 2007-05-10, 10:24pm
Curmudgeon

AIM CR420 kiln
120 volt 15 amp
20" wide x 9" deep x 4.5" tall
doulble door with point rest and mandrel rack built in.
Quart tubes to protect heating elements.

Probably the best bang for the buck annealing kiln made.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/...ts%20Kiln.html

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-05-11, 1:47am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Not sure where the 8 amps came from on the bluebird but http://www.paragonweb.com/Blue_Bird.cfm says 13 amps.and the write up says 960 watts and the specs say 1500 watts,I wonder what it realy is, do they even know ?.and a kiln that sold for 750.00 a year ago sells for under 500.00 from retailers tells me a few things.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.