Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-08-01, 11:57am
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I should make it clear that Willy understands the importance of the internet and Willy appreciates me. He helps me whenever I need help. It's Wally who has the problem.
I was really hoping to hear that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-01, 1:01pm

Oh, I knew it wasn't the darling Willy. He adores her and thinks the sun rises and sets in her!! (okay, you probably don't want to show Wally this one!) And she adores Willy and thinks the sun rises and sets in Willy too! I love this Gathering-generated marriage, and I definitely feel at least a tiny bit related to those beautiful children. Only wonderful things happen at Gatherings!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
Old 2009-08-01, 2:20pm
funny mofo

Kimberly, I don't know Wally OR Willy, but I know that you're the person to ask if I have a question about a GTT torch! Some people just don't know how to say thank you... sounds like Wally is one of them.

Here's what I hope is not a really dumb question: if I buy a 4 stud scorpion and don't currently have a footpedal, will the torch work with just 2 of the studs connected? I'm thinking I'd like to keep my options open for the future, but I currently work at a studio and don't have my own torch, so I use what's available to me and don't know much about torches. Thanks!
Old 2009-08-01, 2:49pm
PyronamixK

You can "Y" your studs together until you get a foot pedal. You can either pay for GTT to do it for you, or you can make your own Y connectors.

All you need to make your own:
two short lengths of fuel hose (one for the front fuel stud, one for the back)
two short lengths of oxygen hose (one for the front oxygen stud, one for the back)
you can just cut these short lengths for your existing lines, if you want to.

two nylon 1/4" barbed T or Y fittings (available at the hardware store)

eight hose clamps - you can use the screw worm style, or you can use the kind that you crimp on.

Also, if you only want to use the centerfire (the Cricket part) and don't want to use the outerfire, you can hook your lines up to just those two front studs and run the torch like a Cricket.
Old 2009-08-01, 5:42pm
Enjoying Life

My next torch orders will be through you Kimberly.

Old 2009-08-02, 1:11am
Corgi Cult Member

Kimberly, do you expect it to be much hotter than the Lynx, or just a wider flame? Or, will that depend on whether it's run on propane or NG? Thanks.

Old 2009-08-02, 6:52am
Butterfly Rancher

Were the Scorpions "Y"'d at the Gathering?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a foot pedal? Where does one get a foot pedal?

I've just been using torches with two knobs and a single fire. What should I know about getting the Scorpion that I'm not thinking to ask?

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2009-08-02, 8:41am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Kimberly, do you expect it to be much hotter than the Lynx, or just a wider flame? Or, will that depend on whether it's run on propane or NG? Thanks.
Willy and I will try to do some melt tests on tanked and a couple of different oxycons and propane.

Is there any particular combination you have in mind?

The flame on the Scorpion is wider, but I don't know if it is hotter or not, and if so/not, under what circumstances.

They're really in two different categories. The Lynx is a single stage tripple mix and does not run well (if at all) on household pressure NG.

The Scorpion is a two stage standard mix (although, a special kind of standard mix) that has been designed to be run on low pressures and low flows, like the low pressure of household pressure NG and the low pressures and low flows of oxygen concentrators.
Old 2009-08-02, 9:02am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
Were the Scorpions "Y"'d at the Gathering?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a foot pedal? Where does one get a foot pedal?

I've just been using torches with two knobs and a single fire. What should I know about getting the Scorpion that I'm not thinking to ask?
The ones that were four stud were "Y"ed (one or two of them were four stud). The others were two stud models.

A foot pedals is basically an on/off switch for your outerfire. It frees up your hands to kick on that outerfire when you want it on. You preset it to where you want it, but you can still make adjustments with the torch valves once it's on.

For production work, it's a real time saver. I don't know of any downsides to them, except that they are another set of connections and valves that you have to check for leaks and maintain. Some pedals are mechanical and some are electric and I'm sure there are pros and cons to each.

There are a few manufacturers that I know and like: Jeff Rogers, Hot Ass Tools (JJ), and Scott Griffin Pedals. Any of them could tell you more about foot pedals.

Here is how a torch on a foot pedal is set up:

You start off with your oxygen and fuel lines going straight from your oxygen and fuel sources to the oxygen and fuel inlet studs for the centerfire of your torch (on GTTs, these will e the forward two studs).

Then, you have another set of lines going from the oxygen and fuel sources (could be from the same source, split off the main, or could be from seperate sources, like in the case of using a concentrator for a centerfire and tanked oxygen for the outerfire), from there going into the oxygen and fuel inlet barbs on the foot pedal, and from the oxygen and fuel outlet barbs on the foot pedal lines go into the oxygen and fuel inlet studs on the torch.
Old 2009-08-02, 9:02am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Dude View Post
Thank you, Dave.
Old 2009-08-02, 9:24am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
You can "Y" your studs together until you get a foot pedal. You can either pay for GTT to do it for you, or you can make your own Y connectors.

All you need to make your own:
two short lengths of fuel hose (one for the front fuel stud, one for the back)
two short lengths of oxygen hose (one for the front oxygen stud, one for the back)
you can just cut these short lengths for your existing lines, if you want to.

two nylon 1/4" barbed T or Y fittings (available at the hardware store)

eight hose clamps - you can use the screw worm style, or you can use the kind that you crimp on.

Also, if you only want to use the centerfire (the Cricket part) and don't want to use the outerfire, you can hook your lines up to just those two front studs and run the torch like a Cricket.
It's ok to use nylon for the fuel hoses? That's good to know. I was under the impression that you should only use brass connectors for the fuel hoses.

Old 2009-08-02, 10:01am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
It's ok to use nylon for the fuel hoses? That's good to know. I was under the impression that you should only use brass connectors for the fuel hoses.
I wouldn't want to put nylon on a part where there's a lot of pressure or movement (like at the tank - because you can wear it out over time where it's constantly being pushed and pulled and worn), but for the Y part of a Y connector, it's just fine.

Nylon has very good chemical resistance.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2009-08-02 at 10:08am.
Old 2009-08-02, 11:53am
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Willy and I will try to do some melt tests on tanked and a couple of different oxycons and propane.

Is there any particular combination you have in mind?

The flame on the Scorpion is wider, but I don't know if it is hotter or not, and if so/not, under what circumstances.

They're really in two different categories. The Lynx is a single stage tripple mix and does not run well (if at all) on household pressure NG.

The Scorpion is a two stage standard mix (although, a special kind of standard mix) that has been designed to be run on low pressures and low flows, like the low pressure of household pressure NG and the low pressures and low flows of oxygen concentrators.
I was tired of switching the workbench between soft and boro, so I now have one torch dedicated to each. For soft I have a Betta that runs on household NG, and for boro I run a Lynx on propane. Since I don't run both at the same time, they share the M-15 via a Y.

This system works great, but there are two things that might make it worth my while to switch to the Scorpion. One, the ability to get a flame as hot as the Lynx, only run on household NG and eliminating tanks. Or, two, a flame that would make a boro marble larger than the Lynx but run on one M-15 (even if it needed propane instead of NG). Hope that makes sense.

Old 2009-08-03, 7:36am
Butterfly Rancher

Kathy, I'm thinking about doing something similar -- use my Betta for soft on NG and use propane for a boro torch. I was going to get quick connects to change the oxycon to the different torches. Can you tell me more about your "y" on your oxycon? Maybe that's a better way to go.

And now I'm debating whether if I'm adding propane into the mix, if a Lynx is a better choice than the Scorpion. Although I'm thinking about trying to find a way to up my NG from a 1/4 PSI. It's my understanding that 2PSI is being stepped down before it comes into the house so I was thinking about trying to get the full 2 PSI into the garage for the torch. I guess that would be better for both the Cricket and the Scorpion. Although I'm assuming that both would still run better on more pressure like I can get with propane.

Thanks, Kimberly, for the information on the foot pedal. You did say I could have GTT do the "y" on a 4-stud. Would it be that difficult to undo the "y" if I wanted to get a foot pedal eventually? I'm still thinking the 4-stud is more versatile than a 2-stud.

Old 2009-08-03, 11:12am

Beckah, What you will want to do to set it up for a future foot pedal. Buy the hoses that you will need for the foot pedal. One set will be two shorter lengths for each oxygen and fuel. You can get couplers for each line for a few dollars. Run that way until you can get the foot pedal. when you're ready remove the coupling and add the foot pedal.

You can get the hoses with couplers from Arrow Springs

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/torch_accessories.html

Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2009-08-04 at 10:05am.
Old 2009-08-03, 10:28pm
Corgi Cult Member

Beckah, I attached a Y with shutoff valves at the oxycon. Separate oxy hoses run to each torch. To switch, I just simply shut off one valve and open the other. With my setup, I wanted to run separate fuel hoses to each torch, so I already had two oxy hoses since they are sold in sets. My stereo is below my workbench between the two torches, so it would be a pain to move the hoses each time with quick connects because I would have to move it behind the stereo. Using two hoses solved the problem for me.

Old 2009-08-04, 6:21am
Butterfly Rancher

Thanks Scott and Kathy!

I've started researching the G-Tec NG booster. GTT's website says the Scorpion will run on 1/4 to 5 PSI fuel. I'm thinking the Booster would eliminate the need for propane. With the booster and my Regalia, I think I'd get pretty close to the maximum performance from the Scorpion.

Old 2009-08-06, 1:40pm
PyronamixK

I forwarded your comments to Wally. I mailed them to his home address so that he could read them for himself and not rely on having someone else read him bits and pieces (and tell him that I am on here trying to turn people against him - I'm not).

I guess we'll see what he has to say about it. My tracking number shows that it was delivered yesterday, but so far, he has not mentioned anything.

How he responds is pretty much going to determine whether or not I continue to do what I do for GTT, or at least to what extent.
Old 2009-08-06, 1:49pm
I need more boro stuff

Btw Kim , did you find out yet the diff heat between lynx and scorpion? especially with 8lpm oxy?

<going back on hiding now while waiting the email reply from GTT>

Old 2009-08-06, 2:13pm
PyronamixK

No, I'm sorry, Yunita, I have not had the time to test them out. I need to make my kids and my own business my priority right now without tending to GTT's business for them (especially since they do not appreciate it).

I was hoping to have some free time in the next couple of days to do this just for you. But, maybe they'll answer your email before then.
Old 2009-08-06, 3:18pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
No, I'm sorry, Yunita, I have not had the time to test them out. I need to make my kids and my own business my priority right now without tending to GTT's business for them (especially since they do not appreciate it).

I was hoping to have some free time in the next couple of days to do this just for you. But, maybe they'll answer your email before then.
No worries, Kim Thank you anyway. You gave a lot of info so far anyway
Kids > everything else

I didn't ask the heat diff between lynx and scorpion on my email. I was asking them regarding shipping and the hose attachments.

Old 2009-08-07, 8:09am
Butterfly Rancher

Kimberly, it'll be a shame to lose all the valuable information that you contribute. But your kids and business should come first.

Old 2009-08-08, 4:16pm
I need more boro stuff

I received a reply from GTT regarding the heat diff on lynx and scorpion (I think they read this thread coz I didn't ask on my email to them)

Here what they said: (I sniped the part of email regarding the shipping fee to Oz)
Quote:
The main heat difference between the Lynx and the Scorpion is that the Lynx is the triple mix design that will melt boro with speed similar to melting soft glass. Also the Scorpion has a wider flame 1 1/4” than the Lynx and it can also work boro easily. The Scorpion offers a small center fire (the Cricket) with the ability to have an outer fire that will help conserve fuel and oxygen and work very well on low pressures and low flow. Please visit our website for more details on the Scorpion. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to email us.

Thanks,

Josh

Now, decision decision.....

Old 2009-08-10, 11:17am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
Kimberly, it'll be a shame to lose all the valuable information that you contribute. But your kids and business should come first.
I really hate to say this, but, if I don't I'll end up looking like a jerk who just doesn't want to help.

My decision not to do customer service for GTT has more to do with the utter lack of respect I have been shown than anything else. I could shuffle my other responsibilities to help if I had to.

I printed out and sent a copy of this thread to Wally. I sent it next day air so he would get it quickly (delivered last week). It is at his house, sitting unopened.

Wally said that I was on here trashing him and putting words in his mouth. Wally told Willy that Josh said that I was on this thread saying that I am the "go-to" person for GTT, making it sound like I'm being arrogant and what not. Wally keeps accusing me of trying to take over the company and I believe that certain people are feeding that bull to him for their own benefit.

Willy told him last week to read my letter and what I posted. He refused to. I really believe that Wally does not want to know what was really said. He is content believing that I am out to trash him. He wants to believe the worst about me. He screamed so loudly at Willy calling me a "son of a b_tch" that I could hear him from across the room. This has upset me to no end, being called an ugly name like that - and for what? After everything I have done for GTT, this is the thanks I get.

Today, we got him on the phone, and he actually talked to me without screaming at me (I don't think I've ever mentioned before how he can get - the man blows up and throws screaming fits from time to time). He still won't read the letter today. He said he'll bring it to work with him tomorrow. I asked if that was so Josh could read it to him and put his spin on what I said. He did end up hanging up, but most of the conversation was finished by then.

So, you tell me, would you ever want to help anyone that treated you this way?

Willy is incredibly frustrated with Wally's behavior. He said that he doesn't even sound like the person he knew before.

I'm sorry if my post is choppy or whatever. I'm not in a good place right now.
Old 2009-08-10, 11:36am
A True Woofer

((((Hugs))))

Old 2009-08-10, 12:57pm

Kimberly, here is my solution to the problem. Both Willy and Wally own GTT, so only help Willy's half of GTT and leave Wally's alone!! (now you can figure out how to do that)

We all love you and love GTT. All families have problems at times and the only thing I can say is, this too shall pass.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-08-10, 2:50pm
Disconnected

It seems to me that Wally's resent is more personal than professional... It hurts anyway, and your husband's position is not the easiest. Sending big hugs to you.

Old 2009-08-10, 3:31pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Dude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
*evil plan wich will not be executed but still* what if all the people who ordered a torch because they heard about it from you would cancell their order.....that would make him break out in a cold sweat now wouldn't it
Hmmm.... but it wouldn't be so evil to cancel and re-place the order through Kimberly
Old 2009-08-10, 3:37pm
It's all about the color.

Is Kimberly even taking orders for the torches?

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-08-10, 4:57pm
Mad about Glass

Do we have any comparisons yet? I want to know if there is a significant difference between a midrange on ng & oxycon and a scorpion on ng & oxycon. I love my mid-range with minor top as the minor top has a pinpoint flame but I am limited to small boro pieces. I'm worried that if I change the scorpion may be the same on ng as the midrange.
Jenn

[url]