Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-05, 12:13pm
Undiscovered Artist

Awesome thanks Mark!

Rhonnie
Old 2008-11-07, 6:43pm
Formerly Fancypants

This is really awesome is right, I have to get one of these for sure, just another tool added to my many. I like this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-11-07, 6:47pm

That is an effin awesome idea!! You rock!
Old 2008-11-07, 10:48pm
Redbearmountain

Cool! Thanks for sharing Mark. Great Idea will look for this tool. Jacque
Old 2008-11-08, 12:59am

I got the one from Harbor Freight that has yellow handles, 4 different sized collet(?) things, and cost $3.99. The smallest thing holds the 1/16" mandrel perfectly. Some of my mandrels have that annoying flattened and stamped end which won't fit through the hole. So I did those on the bead end and was amazed when it worked. It even worked on one that the bead was only about a 1/2" from the end! Thanks so much for the tip!

Updated Often:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1000 Markets:
Old 2008-11-08, 10:03am

The one I bought looks like this one except with yellow handles and cost $3.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38353

It is not the same one, because this one has larger sized nosepieces (I guess that's what they're calling them...) I just tried larger mandrels in mine and the 2nd to largest one fits the 3/32" and the largest is between 3/32" and 1/8" because the 1/8" mandrel did not fit. So, if you don't do much on 1/16" mandrels and need the larger sized holes, the one in the link above will should work for you.

Updated Often:

1000 Markets:
Old 2008-11-08, 3:35pm
Semi Retired

Mark, thank you so much. I got to use my tool today on 2 lentil focals and it worked like magic. This is after I tried freezing and tapping.

|

|

|

|

Old 2008-11-10, 12:59pm
Fancy Mammal

That tool is *magical*! Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Old 2008-11-10, 4:21pm

I saw, I tried, and I removed beads! Yeah!
Thanks Mark for the great tip!

By the way, I use about equal amount of 1/16" and 3/32" mandrels and I just use the largest nose-piece (between 3/32" and 1/8") for all beads. The larger nose-piece works fine on the smaller mandrels (and I'm too lazy to change it all the time!).

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2008-11-10, 6:10pm
where is that UPS man?

I usually use a hammer!!!!
Har-Har

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2008-11-10, 6:41pm
Sharon

As soon as my husband can tell me where his is out in his now clean workshop, i may be able to free up about 20 mandrels.
Old 2008-11-11, 1:43pm

Thanks Mark!! I have been using the one from Harbor Freight. Works great especially using the O rings next to the beads . Sure helps so it won't chip the beads.
Thanks Again!
Janet
Old 2008-11-14, 6:00am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie View Post
Thanks Mark!! I have been using the one from Harbor Freight. Works great especially using the O rings next to the beads . Sure helps so it won't chip the beads.
Thanks Again!
Janet
yes the O ring really helps especially if the beads surface is not parallel to the tool surface near the mandrel.

did anyone try the ultrasonic cleaner? it works great and will save you tons of time. it does not replace manual cleaning but it makes it a lot easier. you can use windex in the cleaner, or ammonia water.

Old 2008-12-16, 8:12pm

Default U Are Awesome!!!

im going to home depot tomorrow!
Old 2008-12-16, 9:28pm
Formerly FishBulb

Darn great idea! Thanks Mark!

And I'm a n00b so I don't even know what an ultrasonic cleaner looks like.

Riveting tool though, THAT I know.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2008-12-17, 6:28am
old fart

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7356

it even has a 1/16th inch collet.

they also have an ultrasonic cleaner for $30

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3305

this one is better but costs more

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93035

Last edited by laserglass; 2008-12-17 at 6:33am.
Old 2008-12-17, 1:33pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Thanks for the Harbor Freight link-I drove to the Lowe's nearest me and the guy didn't know what I was talking about....
Don't you actually have to know SOMETHING to work at Lowes????????

Anyway, off to buy the riveter at Harbor Freight!

Old 2008-12-17, 5:22pm
Living out Loud

Mark thanks so much. I chipped a few beads but that's ok..... because it worked on so many others!! I made a bicone that I loved but could'nt get it off the mandrel, until I tried the riveting tool. Thanks again. I now use an o-ring and that helps stop chipping.

Thanks again.

Old 2008-12-17, 6:58pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I am going to Harbor Freight for one tomorrow thanks for all the links so I know what to look for. I bet my dad has several of these but who knows their location. My wrists problems flair up every time I have a lot of beads to remove this could be the answer.

Old 2008-12-18, 6:49am
old fart

an O ring is a rubber gasket used in plumbing. you can find them in most hardware stores. put a small O ring in between your bead and the tool. this will still apply the pressure to the bead to move it, but the O ring will absorb excess pressure on the bead to minimize chipping.

Old 2009-01-06, 7:01am
Wendy

Mark, thanks so much for sharing this! This past week I'd thinned my bead release too much and had several that had been stuck. I used this tool (well, my husband did since he's the tools guy) and the one bead I hadn't smashed off the mandrel came off easily.

I've always cleaned my beads with the Beadreamer bit from Dave and hadn't thought about using an ultrasonic cleaner. That might be next on the wish list.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2009-01-06, 7:12am

Just when I thought I had purchased every tool possible from Harbor Freight--looks like I need a rivet tool.

Thanks, Mark! Great idea.

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-01-06, 7:17am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

at HF, get 38353 stock number. Fits 1/16" up to 1/8"

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-09, 2:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
yes, use windex in the ultrasonic cleaner, or maybe a bit of vinegar water. turn on the ultrasonic power for a few minutes and most of the bead relase will be cleaned out. finish with a small brush.
dude.

that's sooooo much easier than bribing my dh to clean those beads. probably does a better job, too.

|
Old 2009-01-09, 3:02pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I got my tool from harbor freight and it works like a charm. My next purchase is the Ultrasonic cleaner.

Old 2009-01-13, 11:04am
Peerless Thread Killer

Mark, I just wanted to thank you again for this wonderful tip! I got my riveter from HF, and used it---it works like a dream!!! Nothing chipped, and all my beads slid off the mandrel!!!! I just need to get one or two different sized pieces because I have a couple of odd mandrels. Thank you!!!!!

Old 2009-01-28, 3:53pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Thumbs up

First I want to say thanks to Mark for the two awesome ideas.

The Riveter is working great - no more bent mandrels. A couple of my beads chipped with one washer, so I'm using two now and that seems to be working better. I also purchased an ultrasonic cleaner and am using glass cleaner in it (cheap stuff from the Dollar Tree). I'm using bead cleaning brushes that I bought from Arrow Springs, and is all working well, but the brushes are wearing out rather quickly. What type and where are you getting your brushes??

Old 2009-01-29, 7:27am

Mark, you are my hero.

It couldn't be easier to get beads off a mandrel!

Thank you,
Sals
Old 2009-02-03, 10:04am
Addicted to Melting Glass

Someone in one of my recent classes had this same kind of tool but they had mounted it to some plywood for use on a table (you don't have to squeeze it in your hands). It had a lever type of action if I recall - you pull the lever down to get the bead off. It was a riveting tool, either Home Depot or Harbor Freight. It's a great idea to help prevent RSI.

Old 2009-02-03, 10:15am
picking Job's Tears

Love the idea, but resorted to the "hammer" method again last night. If the bead as such is OK (these aren't even annealed yet), I managed to get this to work. Setup is as follows:

I found a stuck (about 1/4" open at the tip) pair of needle nose pliers by the roadside somewhere, and as I couldn't get them unstuck they're perfect for this.

Get a rag, cover bead in it, stick mandrel into the pliers and gently whack the pliers with a hammer (currently using a pipe wrench, but that's about the same. It's lying around in the area and a hammer I'd have to look for).

Some of my beads broke, but all of those were larger than the "one color spacers" I currently make and I wasn't too surprised. So far most of my cylinder beads broke, annealed or not. I'll practice those more when I get better and faster with the spacers.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln

Tags
bead release tool