The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-12, 7:36pm
אהבה אני ישו

Default Bullseye users - question about a color

Hi fellow Bullseye glass users -

I purchased some Bullseye glass rod from a seller on E-bay. The bundles were marked, but the label was quickly lost. The rod is white, but appears to be sort of semi-opaque. Kind of reminds me of the Opalino white in the Effetre line. Anyway, after heating and applying some of the glass to my mandrel, I tried to marver the glass - with either graphite or stainless steel - both times where the glass touched the marver the glass turned sooty black. I was hoping to find out what color this is so I will never order it again. Any ideas what it is?

Thanks for your help.

Believer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2011-02-12, 7:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

Dense White probably. I have had trouble with it sooting up.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-12, 8:26pm

Ditto. Not dense in the rod, and very sooty.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-02-13, 7:44am
sunscreen me baby

I use dense white all the time for flower petals. I have had it react with pinks (black streaks) but never seen soot. But, I haven't used it on it's own. I love it encased in a transparent as cane because it makes the color glow.

~

Old 2011-02-13, 10:38am
אהבה אני ישו

It is very strange - no matter what I touched the hot glass with it turned it black/shooty. CLEAN marvers and tweezers. Since I do a lot of sculptural work this color is not going to work for me unless I cover it with another color. Yeesh.

Thanks everyone

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Old 2011-02-13, 10:46am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That is really weird - I have never had it do anything like that.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-13, 4:12pm

I only ever had trouble with Bullseye whites when I was running my O2 too low.

Both the dense white and opaque white can soot up easily. This happens more when you are initially heating, or reheating after cooling.

You can try turning down your propane at the torch, turning down the pressure on your propane regulator - you only need to be at ~4 psi for soft glass, or increasing your O2. If you're running on only one 5 lpm concentrator, these whites are MUCH better behaved with a second concentrator to increase your O2 content.

You can also work much further out in the flame until this initial heating period is over, and then you can work in the normal part of the flame.
Old 2011-02-13, 4:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What I don't understand is that you say it is getting sooty when you marver it, not when you have it in the flame.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-14, 11:10am
Burn baby, burn

I have the same problem, and I think Linda has it nailed. I can sometimes get the soot to go away if I turn the propane down low and hit it with a very oxygenated flame. I got a 2nd oxycon, but haven't hooked it up yet to try.
Old 2011-02-14, 11:11am
sunscreen me baby

That makes sense. I work very oxy rich most of the time.

~

Old 2011-02-14, 12:10pm
I'm a lilac!

It will definitely go sooty easily without a lot of oxy... you can also use this to your benefit by making beads in a reducing flame and then etching/sandblasting. It's a cool effect.

Old 2011-02-14, 9:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I have the same problem, and I think Linda has it nailed. I can sometimes get the soot to go away if I turn the propane down low and hit it with a very oxygenated flame. I got a 2nd oxycon, but haven't hooked it up yet to try.
Holy cow! hook it up right now. You will be in love with glass all over again.
Old 2011-02-15, 6:42am
אהבה אני ישו

It's still a mystery to me since it didn't get sooty until I marvered it. I will try turning down my gas, but I don't think that will solve this problem. The last bead I made with it, I encased with clear and it didn't turn black when I marvered and sculpted.

I think this glass hates me...

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Old 2011-02-15, 9:17am

If it's encased, then the clear (or other color) glass protects it.

What set-up are you running?
Old 2011-02-15, 10:25am
אהבה אני ישו

Lynda,

Yeah, that's why I tried encasing. I have a minor running on propane and an M5 oxy con. I get a nice strong flame and it doesn't "appear" to be a gassy/reducing flame. And I don't have reduction/shoot problems with any of my other glass - even the Effetre turquoise, which is notorious for causing problems.

I think my solution is to just avoid this color of glass. There are other options (thank goodness) for white in the BE line.

Thanks everyone for chiming in Y'all are awesome as usual.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Old 2011-02-15, 6:47pm
Burn baby, burn

I have also had the soot problem when introducing a tool into the mix ... doesn't have to be in the flame, my own personal theory is that the glass is picking up microscopic dirt/grease from the surface of the tool, and it's burning in the flame and scorching. Good luck!