Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-15, 6:10pm

Smile Newbie needs some help!!

What is the best way to make those little curls that look like waves? I'm on a hothead, and have tried but can't get it just right. You know the ones I mean...usually on a 2 color lentil? Is it just PPP? I don't have a pic, but if you know what I'm talking about please give me some suggestions!! Thanks in advance!!!
Becky
Old 2008-02-15, 6:11pm

make a line. stick a stringer in it and twist. you want it warm enough to move when you do this.
Old 2008-02-15, 6:16pm
I'm meeeeelting

After you make the line (or you can do half the bead one color and half another), let the bead cool. Then spot heat the area you want to twist. Poke the twistie in and turn it. Wait a couple of secs for the bead to set again and then blow on the twisty and wiggle it until it breaks off.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-15, 6:22pm

Talking

Thanks so much...I would never have even thought to do it that way. I'll post a pic when I do it successfully!! You guys rock!!
Old 2008-02-15, 6:23pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Short answer is yes, it's PPP. Longer answer is make a base bead in two colors, shape it and let it cool until it loses most of the heat color. Then spot heat the area you want to twist just enough until the glass is loose enough to move. Take a stinger and stick it straight down into the center of the spot you just heated and twist until it looks the way you want. This can be just a quick half twist up to several twists...your choice. Blow on the base of the stringer to chill it then wiggle it back and forth until it snaps off. Melt the twisted area smooth and reheat the entire bead evenly and pop it in the kiln (or do more twists!).
Old 2008-02-15, 6:43pm

Smile

Thanks, Laurie...every tip I can get will help!! I just need more time to PPP!!!
Becky
Old 2008-02-16, 8:53pm

Key point -- use a cool stringer! Medium thickness works best, and you really want to just spot heat before you plunge. If the whole bead is hot you'll move more glass than you intend. You'll feel it as you twist.
Old 2008-02-18, 9:40pm

Talking I Did It!!

Thanks so much to all of you. I did it , and I think it looks great!! If I can I'll post a pic. You have been so helpful!! I so appreciate everyone's willingness to share tips and techniques. That's the way the world is suppose to be!!
One small step forward...
Becky