AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-09-01, 1:01pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Please post your results when you're done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-01, 6:41pm

I just found this thread tonight. Thank you, Amber, for sharing this. I can't wait to try it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-03, 4:34pm

Well, I did what I could with what I had last night.

On the left is black base, SIS and yellow ochre. On the right is black base, SIS, petroleum green.

This technique is definitely something I am going to keep working on.

Thank you again, Amber.

Old 2009-09-03, 5:00pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Hey Barb! They look good - you just need to add the dots on the side of the bigger dots in a staggered way, so they produce the checkboard/scale effect. Keep goin'!

Old 2009-09-03, 7:19pm

Oh, OK. I'm putting them square in the middle. No wonder they all look the same.

Thanks.

Old 2009-09-14, 12:00pm

WOW!!! what colors did you use in your first pic??? they are really beautiful!!

Ruby
Old 2009-09-14, 12:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby View Post
WOW!!! what colors did you use in your first pic??? they are really beautiful!!

Ruby
Hi Ruby, to whom are you addressing the question? I don't think it's me.

Old 2009-10-08, 6:33am

Thanks for the tut.
Old 2009-10-10, 12:50pm

Thanks Naos, I have been searching the forum today, for new things to try.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2009-10-10, 1:04pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Nell, it's a fun design to play with and the use of gravity in glass. If you need any help, just let me know.

Old 2009-10-10, 8:22pm

Naos, You are such a caring person. There are so many great people here, yet, I feel, this thing, that you are so caring, about people, on a individual basis. Thank you. It's nothing more than a feeling, and that counts, with me a lot. Thank you for the offer, as I admire your work so much. Your kinda like one of my heros. What you do on Ebay, and yes, I am also, on a Hothead, just like you. Yet we get the job done.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-02-07, 6:59pm

Hi Amber: I'm a newbie and was wondering what EDP means and if you have any suggestions for making these beads with a burgandy type of color over the silver? The EDP is great but you said it was tricky, any tips??? I made some with cocoa over sis and they turned out okay.
Thanks,
Wendy
Old 2010-02-08, 7:09am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Hi Wendy! EDP is Effetre #254 - Purple. EDP = Evil Devitrifying Purple - it has a tendency to boil and scum over but it's one of the beauties of the glass that it does that.

I'm not sure about burgundy. It would have to be an opaque blend of colors and I'm not sure that's possible.

Old 2010-02-08, 8:01am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenEssence View Post
Hi Amber: I'm a newbie and was wondering what EDP means and if you have any suggestions for making these beads with a burgandy type of color over the silver? The EDP is great but you said it was tricky, any tips??? I made some with cocoa over sis and they turned out okay.
Thanks,
Wendy
I used Moretti dark red when I wanted the look of maroon for VA Tech colors - dark red goes to maroon/burgandy - try a spacer bead and let it cool first to see if you like it.
Old 2010-02-10, 11:20am
reaction junkie

This is really fun, I spent the day playing with colors yesterday - not all of them worked out, plus I'm having a hard time getting my silver to stick to my ivory stringer (I only have foil). But! I'm going out to experiment some more today. It's a little addicting Thanks Amber!

(pictures later, promise)

/
/
/
Old 2010-02-10, 8:29pm
reaction junkie

ok, I'm back. And as I re-read the instructions, I see that I was not doing it right anyway. I was putting two colors on the ivory. But, the colors are interesting. I have not etched any of them.

This one I thought I'd try wrapping the base bead in silver foil. then ivory, sage and edp and then steel blue. I got the best spreading with this combo (except the blue).

This one is copper green (I never got this shade of blue out of copper green before, must be my new kiln?), then ivory, sage green and steel blue.

This one didn't work at all. Ivory base, silvered, ivory dots, copper green.

And this one is cim olive with silvered ivory and aurae. I like it, but it needed bigger/more dots.

Oh, and here is one more. Poi base, silvered ivory, olive green (not so good) and edp.

/
/
/
Old 2010-02-11, 7:35am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Pam - yay! I think they all look great! I really like the first one - reminds me of a Pop Art piece and I love all the base colors you're using.

Old 2010-02-13, 4:43pm
reaction junkie

Thanks Amber Here is one that follows your instructions better and even is etched!

/
/
/
Old 2010-02-13, 5:04pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Great Pam - I love all the silver on the edges of the dots! Are you still using foil? I bet if you got some leaf the scales would spread even better!

Old 2010-02-13, 5:40pm
reaction junkie

yeah, I only have foil. Isn't leaf the flimsy stuff that is hard to manage? like my gold that floats away if I'm not careful? Do you think it's the silver that makes it spread so much?

/
/
/
Old 2010-04-11, 10:09am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Pam, sorry for the latness of my reply - it's the viscosity of the base glass that cuases the spread but silver leaf spreads with the base glass much easier than foil.

I take a third of a strip of silver leaf and just roll my pre-made Ivory stringer over it, then flash through the flame and marver - it holds pretty nicely to the stringer.

Old 2010-06-06, 10:51am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I have some more to show... these are a base of Yellow Ochre Green, with Lauscha Olive on top of the silvered Ivory...

Old 2010-06-06, 1:18pm

Those are really pretty amber. Thanks for showing.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-07-16, 10:21am

Just happened upon these. Truly inspirational and gorgeous. I jsut found some opal yellow in my stash, too!
Old 2010-07-16, 10:24am

If I use Reichenbach raku iris orange on top of the SIS, will it spread like the ones you used? This is a great tutorial!
Old 2010-07-16, 10:29am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yes, the Raku gives an interesting reaction.

Old 2010-07-31, 9:07am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Don't forget to try the Dragon Scales, too!

Old 2010-08-01, 8:37am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Playing around at the torch the other evening, I remembered your tutorial and thought instead of making a couple beads, I'd make a small set.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-08-01, 4:53pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Patsy - Gorgeous! Love the colors you chose... Like it's a Snake or Dragon in the grape vines!

Old 2010-08-01, 7:33pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks Amber.

Ebay:

Tags
generous, inspiration