No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-11, 2:14pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Name this glass...

I have about 1/4 lb. of this. It's 104 COE. Haven't used it yet. It has no label as to what it might be. Any guesses out there???

Thanks - Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-11, 2:26pm
Life is change. Love it

Its a Vetro odd - Dark Lichen I think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-11, 2:32pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Great! By chance do you know anything about its working qualities?

Jack

Old 2010-01-11, 2:35pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I found it. Thank you for your help!

Jack

Old 2010-01-11, 10:10pm
Glassy Broad :-)

OOOOOOOOOOOOO I love this glass! It CAN be a bit shockey, but ooooo the pretty creamy colors I just love!!!
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-01-12, 12:12am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thanks for the tip Nita!

Jack

Old 2010-01-12, 7:36am
organically speaking

Dark Lichen. Super shocky but gorgeous results. I love this glass and hoard it, I admit. I pre-heat it on my torch-top marver, otherwise I end up wasting half a rod before I ever get any on the mandrel.

~Laurie

Old 2010-01-12, 7:40am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Amber was good enough to send me some, and I LOVE it! Try it as a base glass under some of the reducers - it really gives sterling results!! I was amazed at the creamy ivory color the rod produces - but you do have to heat it up very slowly and it has a tendency to fracture even while it is being worked - but soooo worth the hassle!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-01-12, 8:19am
Elphaba Lives !!

Are you sure that's Dark Lichen?? I could be wrong but, it looks more like Vetro Odd Transparent Topaz to me.

Old 2010-01-12, 8:52am

I thought Crazy Topaz too.
Old 2010-01-12, 9:25am
uncouthful cats

I don't have any 'crazy topaz', & I know how colors can vary, but the center in my few rods of dark lichen is very dark, & not blue at all.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-01-12, 9:31am
Did someone say SALE?

It looks exactly like the Vetro odd Jungle Twilight that I have.
Old 2010-01-12, 9:32am
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Gee View Post
Are you sure that's Dark Lichen?? I could be wrong but, it looks more like Vetro Odd Transparent Topaz to me.
Another vote here for odd topaz

Old 2010-01-12, 9:35am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
Amber was good enough to send me some, and I LOVE it! Try it as a base glass under some of the reducers - it really gives sterling results!! I was amazed at the creamy ivory color the rod produces - but you do have to heat it up very slowly and it has a tendency to fracture even while it is being worked - but soooo worth the hassle!
Thanks for the tip!

Jack

Old 2010-01-12, 9:36am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I haven't been able to try it out yet, but when I do, Ill let you know!

Jack

Old 2010-01-12, 9:46am

This rod is not dark lichen but Vetrofond "Topaz" odd number #791989.
This color will meilt down like an amber color with blue swirls in it. It's a pretty glass.
Dark Lichen is another great color but both outside and inside rods are darker!
A bit shocky so work it slow but not as bad as some of the other rods.
If you like it and ever need more, I still have a ton of this and dark lichen and so many more of the Vetrofond odds!!!

Old 2010-01-12, 10:03am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you Irene for the great input!! I'll try it out ASAP!

Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2010-01-12 at 10:03am. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-01-12, 10:53am

It is totally awesome - I panicked the first time I used it, because I only had 1/4 lb. Fortunately, there was plenty of it around to buy still!
Old 2010-01-12, 6:54pm
Life is change. Love it

I took a pic of my dark lichen. The centre does look a little darker, But I'm pretty sure I have some with that blue colour. I haven't seen Crazy topaz, sounds lovely. BTW, I never use my Dark Lichen or any of that series of Vetro odd lots. I need some pics to inspire me, they all seemed so dreary and dull!
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-12, 7:42pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
I have about 1/4 lb. of this. It's 104 COE. Haven't used it yet. It has no label as to what it might be. Any guesses out there???

Thanks - Jack
My Dk Lichen has a bit darker core than this and bit of opacity to the outside. The Topaz Odd has a lighter blue at center but the outside is more transparent. There is a lot of variation to these cored odds. I'll try to shoot a pic in the morning.

Old 2010-01-12, 9:19pm

There are variations in each batch that vetrofond made. So if there's blue with a lighter center in one..or blue with a darker center in another it is probably the same color just different batches.

Here's just a couple of the colors I pulled.

Old 2010-01-12, 9:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I took a pic of my dark lichen. The centre does look a little darker, But I'm pretty sure I have some with that blue colour. I haven't seen Crazy topaz, sounds lovely. BTW, I never use my Dark Lichen or any of that series of Vetro odd lots. I need some pics to inspire me, they all seemed so dreary and dull!
Yea..this is lichen. Very easy to confuse with Topaz and believe me, I've done it. Now I just look for which color is dark and which is blue to figure it out. I had over 20 lbs mixed up once. That wasn't fun!

Old 2010-01-12, 9:25pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I'm totally confused. LOL

Jack

Old 2010-01-12, 9:34pm

Sorry about that. How's this....try the glass. If you like it I'll send you a rod of all that are similar to it and that way you'll know what to order lol...
I'm about 99% sure it's the topaz though

Old 2010-01-12, 9:48pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I believe you're right Irene. I really think it's the Topaz odd also. BTW.. I was gifted about 1/4 lb. of it, so I imagine it will last quite a long time. (Unless I REALLY like it!!) I'll make some "testers" and post them later.

Thanks everyone,
Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2010-01-12 at 9:49pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-01-13, 4:54am
organically speaking

You know, once I put my little granny glasses on, I think Irene's research is definitely right. It does look like the Topaz odd. I had to go out in the cold studio and compare mine but, yes, the Topaz does have the lighter blue center. Sorry!

~Laurie

Last edited by Mermaid Glass; 2010-01-13 at 5:00am.
Old 2010-01-13, 9:51am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

No problem Laurie! I can't do ANYTHING without my reading glasses on.

Jack

Old 2010-01-13, 2:02pm
Life is change. Love it

I'm excited to see what this glass does. Post some pics OK Jack?

Old 2010-01-13, 2:56pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Will do Carolyn. It's been so cold here lately, I haven't been able to go out to the torch yet. But I will in a day or so when it warms back up.

Jack

Old 2010-01-13, 7:31pm

make sure you really work it & swirl it & work it some more when you make the beads with it--most of those vetro odds from "that batch/season" make fantastic bases for silver glass & also make FANTASTIC bases for organics!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies