LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-28, 5:41am

I don't have one, only because I am a beginner and buy my tools one by one.
Old 2006-04-28, 6:04am
sunscreen me baby

The bead press versus the purist things makes me laugh. It reminds me so much of what happened in photography when digital first hit the scene. I was involved with a photo site with many professional photographers. There were numerous debates about digital and photoshop and it was cheating. This was about 6 years ago. There are very few that still hang on to that notion and almost every single one that does isn't actually working in the field.
If you can learn to make a good pressed bead then you can probably hand form the same shape too. Of course it is faster to make 10 of the exact same shaped beads with a press than it is to hand form. But heck it is faster to make 10 hand formed beads with two concentrators over one. Is that cheating?
I do agree that a press probably isn't a good idea before you can make a round bead. But, I don't think it hinders the learning, or even replaces it. It just makes making the pressed bead harder to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-28, 6:15am
In search of her path....

3 im pretty sure I have jsut 3
Cattwalk Emerald long
Cattwalk Anniversary Special
Cattwalk Small Facet has 3 faceted shapes

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-04-28, 7:22am
Where Am I?

I have 6 Zoosii ,2 Corina, and 3 Cattwalk. I want more!

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-04-28, 5:03pm
Lady Firebird

I'm behind in the press-acquisition game. I have two Zooziis presses -- the Kalera Long&Lean and the Nugget Trio. I'm coveting the large Nugget -- I think it's going to be next. I also have three of the Tapley Tongs for lentils, a 5/8", a spiral (which is 7/8" I think) and a 1 1/4". Don't quite have the hang of most of them yet because I'm still working on judging the right amount of glass to use for each one. I need more time to PPP!!!!

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon

Old 2006-04-29, 1:58am
Aussie Jewellery Queen

Well I only have 25... but another is on the way...I've also sold a half dozen or so that I didn't really use...... and I can't wait for some of the new shapes to come out that I've seen previewed....

I LLOOOOOVVEE presses.... they make round beads interesting. I think it's amazing how a different shape can change a bead so dramatically. Between presses & frits I could fund a small country.... lol...

I have both Cattwalk & Zoozii... I like both, and my choice for buying is availability of shape. Cattwalk don't have the crystal or nugget, so I bought zoozii.

Bring on more new presses!!!!

Shelley
Sydney, Australia.
Old 2006-04-29, 2:46am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I am in Australia so Cattwalk is the choice generally over zoozii as cattwalk has FREE POSTAGE! That said I only own 1 cattwalk, 1 coonvallyb, but have 3 zooziis. I did have a corina orrb with the 3 different diameters but didn't use the smaller ones so I swapped it for a brand new Kalera Nugget and plan to buy the corina orrb 3 depth in the future (but now want the cattwalk button 'quadro'.
I swapped gemstone strands for the zoozii pillow.
I bought the zoozii crystal (A GREAT PRESS) from a glass supplier here in OZ who will get any of the presses in for us.
I have my eye on a lot of cattwalk presses though. And to be straight out honest if cattwalk had also made a kalera nugget or crystal trio or puffy pillow trio I would have bought it from them but just to save on the postage.
The Coonvallyb 32mm lentil is great and at $35 on eBay a bargain.
I must say Catt's service is FANTASTIC. My mum bought me the base/tool special (I got a lentil trio) we only ordered it right on Christmas time and it got here in time for christmas day and had a pretty red ribbon (and a lolly I think but that could be my imagination) AND a free glass diversions frit!
I find that Cattwalk presses are easier to use because you don't have to line up the pins but zoozii had a lot more cool shapes that I wanted.
Old 2006-04-30, 6:14pm
Expert Thread Strangler

I only have 4 Zooziis right now, just got the Kalera Nugget , the Kalera long and lean, the medium pillow and the lentil trio. I'm kinda on the fence about the Kalera long and lean...may have to trade that one off in the Garage Sale some day....

I had the mini pillow/diamond and the tab duo but traded/sold them since I didn't use them much.
Old 2006-04-30, 8:18pm
Puddy Cat Lover

According to my husband, I have waaaay too many presses. But I have to remind him that he has every kind of saw that they make. Heehee.

Anyway, I have several of CattWalks and several of Zooziis. I haven't counted, but I think I now own more than 50 all together with 3 more CattWalks on the way. I've been addicted to the presses since the first one came on the market I think about 3 years ago. I only buy a press when I can see the possibilities, and the shape happens to inspires me. So I don't have all of them. My favorites are the lentil shape, pastille, puffy pillow, marquis, and the faceted princesses and stop signs. As far as customer service, I would have to say that no one spoils there customers like Cindy(a.k.a. Catt) and Fred of CattWalk. Catt is one of the most generous and kind hearted people I've ever met in the lampwork community.
J.

Old 2006-04-30, 9:20pm
Nature Coast

I have 8 Zoozi presses and use them all. The latest is the straight sided lentil trio. Really love that one and it's easy to use. I have the most trouble with the tiles...they just seem the most difficult for me get a good press but I "press on" anyway.

Old 2006-04-30, 10:54pm
Karma-believe it, live it

I have zoozii presses

lentil trio
tab/tile duo
long n lean
cube duo ( corner to corner/side to side)
val cox marver (mmm the smell of beeswax when I roll a bicone)

next on wish list is;

kalera nugget trio
pillow trio
Old 2008-01-07, 4:40am

Hallo Everybody,

I'm a newbie from Germany and surching for the mail-adress from "connvllayb"....
Maybe You can help me?
God bless You!

(I'm sorry for my English, never learn it in the School....)
Old 2008-01-07, 4:41am

uuups....
SORRY - means coonvallyb! I need some Masher...
Old 2008-01-07, 7:54am
Most have those beadies

Hi Iammea,

CoonVallyB only sells his presses now through http://www.artcoinc.com/beadpress.php

my
my

my
my

Old 2008-01-07, 9:21am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have way to many, but can't seem to part with any of them.

Vivian

-

Old 2008-01-07, 10:01am

Wow, I thought I have a lot, but nothing compared to some of you!! I am at about 30...some of which are sample presses, that aren't pretty...using scrap brass to test out new shapes...but they work so that is all that matters!!

Old 2008-01-07, 2:35pm

Oh, I am horrible. I have so many presses. I prefer Cattwalk by far. The pins get in my way. I don't even use the base for many of them.

I have (this is the ones I can remember since I am at work)

- chunky lentil trio
- chunky lentil focal
- daisy trio
- new daisy focal
- new triangle focal
- both ruffler planks
- one of the crunches
- maze
- spiral press
- herringbone
- heart duo (love it)
- 1 1/16 oval lentil duo
- new crystal duo
- cameo duo
- horizontal cameo and diamond duo
- column forming tray (I use it for making murrini and striped cane)
- scallop forming tray
- custom diagonal scallop forming tray for making sea shells
- fan plank
- new stubby diamond
- large oval capsule
- saturn
- tabulator
- deep faceted diamond
- x deep faceted tile
- round starburst trio
- versacube
- new tube shaper
- fused lentil 5 (great for just rolling things in it and making snowmen or other bodies for animals)

zoozii:
- chunky crystal
- flutterby
- kalera long
- kalera extra long
- rectangular nugget

I have a deep tile trio made from a guy on eBay that fell off the planet. He just stopped selling one day and nobody could reach him anymore. But, I really liked his presses. I think his name was John.

Needless to say, I need to sell some because I don't use all of them and some of them are almost brand new. I use the chunky lentil most and I like all of the textured ones. I love the stubby diamond and heart press. Catt has also made some custom brass marvers for me that I love. She will be selling those soon too. And of course, there are still more than I want.

I am addicted.

Last edited by Rachel; 2008-01-07 at 2:43pm.
Old 2008-01-07, 2:38pm

Rachel, I've been wanting to get the versacube, is it easy to use or not? Thanks!
Old 2008-01-07, 2:41pm

Personally, I like it. If you want to make a cross, it is super easy. I use it for making bicones too. I can't think of much else I use it for except crosses and bicones though. I don't use it with a base and I don't find it difficult to use but it did take some practice. She has a smaller one and a bigger one but the smaller one is the size you would want for smaller crosses for women I think.

Old 2008-01-09, 8:34pm

Thanks, Rachel.
Old 2008-01-10, 8:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Here we are...

Two used single presses
Two on closeout sale from Coon Valley
One plier type for?, I purchased on sale at a gem and mineral show 2 years ago.
That's it so far

I can't afford to pay full prices...

Sooo my collection is going to grow rather slowly but I am getting more and more excited about all of the versatile shaping tools coming out.

I seriously think I am going to go in that direction rather than the bead presses...

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2008-11-03, 7:42pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

I love presses!
I purchased the Lentil trio, Med duo(SSL and Nugget), cube duo from zooziis website. The mediom duo is my favorite because you get two totally different looks in one press. The size is perfect for bracelets too.
I have been lucky enough to buy the following in the Garage here: SSL trio, long and lean kalera, medium pillow, tab duo, 1" SSL (which is my current favorite.) It was kinda scary using that much glass at first, but I got the hang of it. Start out with the smaller size presses if your new.
I enjoy using presses as a base for my embellishments. I like a clean look to a bead. They give you so many options to play with. The SSL shapes lend themselves perfectly to jewelry because they lay flat and are comfortable to wear. Happy Pressing everyone!

Last edited by DiamondLilGlass; 2008-11-03 at 7:47pm. Reason: I am a moron lol
Old 2008-11-03, 8:05pm

I have three, all zoosii presses, the kalera long and lean, the lentil trio and a really big XL straight sided lentil. I really did use the long and lean and would never part with it, used the XL twice but didnt get the hang of the glass to make it work nice and the lentil trio, well they are all small for me. I really do like the look of a pressed bead, i just havent learned to master them. I like the tapered sides rather than a hand squeezed rounded side, but i seem to never pick them up and use them very often.........?? I would get a pillow as i like that look too, there are just so many things i want to try.........I can't believe how many presses some of you guys have. I am blown away by that. Do you like them all? i can just imagine how they look all lined up on the shelf. wow!
juniemoon

Old 2008-11-03, 11:12pm

I have 40 Zooziis, 14 Cattwalk, 4 Coonvally and 3 Mikes brass for glass. I buy most of mine in the garage sale as I just love trying all the different shapes that are available. I originally started buying them so I could make bigger sets. Some of the Zooziis presses I have the trio, medium+ and large. Many of my pressed beads have been great sellers for me, I will never part with all my presses.

My absolute favorite of Zooziis are the itty bittys (yep) I have both of them, lentils, kaleras, SSL (sprees), hexagons, crystal and tab.
My favorite Cattwalk are the puffy pillow, graduated button, daisy, reversible lentil and marquis.
My favorite Coonvally is the waffle tab and lentil.
My favorite Mikes for brass is puffy tab.

I think buying them in the garage sale is a great way to try them and if you don't like them then you can re-sell them and let someone else have fun with it.

Debbie

Last edited by Tesorobeads; 2008-11-03 at 11:18pm.
Old 2008-11-04, 7:34am

Default you have what!!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!!!!

61 presses! awesome! I am just starting to collect mine....
Have fun!
Paulette
Old 2008-11-04, 7:38am

forgot to mention
i have the 3
dual crunch
itty bitty square sweetheart trio
trio disk press (chunky)
and I have one waiting for me at the post office - a square maze
bye
Paulette
Old 2010-08-22, 9:20pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

This popped up in a search... I wonder how some people are doing now... more presses? Or perhaps some of them have started to sell them? Anyhow, I have 6 presses (I think), all Zooziis, the base was issue for me. I have:
lentil trio
XL lentil
kalera trio
kalera long and lean
medium duo
tab and tile duo

then I have also multitool and the promotional beadroller.

I also have 3 more presses on the way, those Zooziis as well... And I was worried that I am getting too many, Ive got nothing on most of you!

Pia
Old 2010-08-22, 11:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
omg...I'm so jealous...I don't have ONE...nope, not one...(ok, I have a pair of tapley tongs someone gifted me...how pathetic is that??)
Mee too!!!

I have 4 pair of tapley tongs, two of which I have used once each!

My budget just doesn't stretch to presses, there's always something else I can find to spend $100 on.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2010-08-23, 9:56am

Then there are the shapes that are easier with Donna Felkner's bead rollers:

http://www.cgbeads.com/

I thought I had all the presses I would ever need and then Donna started with these marvelous graphite tools - many sizes in most of them!

Maybe you consider them to be other than a press - more like a marver - great for the "rounder" styles like round, disc, bicone etc.

Since I'm on the hothead and canisters, any tool that helps shape faster saves $$
Old 2010-08-23, 1:14pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I dont know how new the beadrollers are, but I think when this thread was started 4 years ago, nobody mentioned them, so maybe they just werent around yet. I love them, and I would love to buy more of them... it is just so difficult to choose your favorite...
The disks are defenitely easier on rollers...