Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-02, 1:55pm

Default bubbles in glass

i bought some black moretti and everytime i make a bead it seems like there are big air bubbles..i've never had this happen before - anyway to avoid it..thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-02, 2:07pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Sometimes this happens to me-I live in a very humid area. I try to make sure that the bead release on the mandrel is heated to a cherry red to make sure it's really dry. I think the bubbles (and they are never-ending) come from the humidity in the release.
Hope this helps!

Old 2009-06-02, 2:50pm

anybody else, my bead release is thinner right now than i normally use so that may be the problem..

Old 2009-06-02, 3:23pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

I have the same problem if I don't let the bead release get thoroughly dry and I don't get it hot enough with the torch. Is it only Moretti black that is giving you trouble? Perhaps you got a wonky batch.

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2009-06-02, 6:39pm
marbeads

Exclamation Bubbles

Renee,
Could you be boiling the glass? A lot of times I get the glass to hot when I am wrapping it and it boils, just like water.
Certain batches are more prone to this than others and in my experience black does not normally boil, ivory and white boil easily.
Cook your release well as others have stated, but if you still get bubbles move further out in the flame and see what happens.
Have fun,
HITK,
Kurt
Old 2009-06-07, 9:52pm

When you are wrapping your glass on, press the glass into the space next to the previous wrap while gently rocking the rod back and forth. I don't think it's just a bead release problem, I think it also has to do with the way the glass is wrapped on the mandrel.

Old 2009-06-08, 2:56pm

Sounds like a combination of all three, to me! If you don't push a little on your initial wrap it is easy to trap air in your gather. But I get massive bubbles from under-heated bead release, or release that is a little too wet. And the black seems to be the worst for that, lol!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-06-09, 9:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
Perhaps you got a wonky batch.
I just love that for glass people, wonky is a common word. It's almost as good a spiffy, which is my personal favorite
Andy
Old 2009-06-10, 10:30am
Lampworkaholic!

There is a bad batch of Effetre black out there.

I stick with Hades and Vetrofond when working 104.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-06-10, 3:40pm

I also like the Vetro black, but there was some shocky Vetro black out there for a while.... and this batch I'm using now has lots of random stones... so nothing is perfect? But at least Vetro black doesn't scum up when I marver it like the Moretti does.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid