No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-28, 8:17am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Default Marble tongs/ loop hemos? Help

Ok peeps...I hope this is the right place to post because i'm scratching my head on this. I'm just about ready to make the step into marbles as I am mostly doing this with my off mandrel pendants but I need a good pair of loop hemostats/ marble tongs. I found them at both frantz and wale but the shipping is more than the cost of the hemos even without glass in my order. I'm not one to complain about people charging shipping because hey...we all need to make a living...but seriously...way too much for my curiousity. I am looking for two loop hemos or marble tongs or whatever they might be called. I tried ebay, harbor frieght, and etsy to start with no luck. I may just wait until i need glass and pay the shipping to frantz but i was thinking theres got to be a more affordable option. Any thoughts on this or any "into to marble" tips would be great. Thanks
Cara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-12-28, 9:09am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Arrow Springs also has them?
Old 2011-12-28, 9:12am

My sister got a pair for me, she used to work in OR's. Here's a medical supply place. I haven't ordered from them before but I see a LOT of interesting hemo's and forceps here. And some items with free shipping!
http://www.odontomed1.com/index.aspx...sponge+forceps

Old 2011-12-29, 4:30am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Holy Cow Rebecca...I knew there was cool stuff out ther. Thanks so much. Thanks for the feedback guys...

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-12-29, 5:05am

G'day Cara,

My hubby made me some tongs at home using some old shitty el-cheapo tweezers and two old mandrels.

I did a short note on my blog (an old entry) but here it is if you are a little handy and just want something to see you through

http://beadmonki.blogspot.com/2010/0...ork-tools.html

I don't really use them much any more, I have a new kiln with a decently large door and can just make a bit of a nest using some kiln blanket and tip the mib into that direct from the marble mold after smoothing off that last punti mark.

Hope it is helpful,

Nat

Old 2011-12-29, 5:16am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Hi Cara! Check out Drew Fritt's Marble book for this. It has instructions for making tongs as well as many, many, many other useful tips for all things marble......In my opinion, his book is to marbles what Passing the Flame is to beadmakers.....

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-12-29, 8:54am
SCIENCE Teacher!

And as an extra bonus he has great recipes for color mixing soft glass custom colors. I love Drew Fritts book but WARNING! DANGER! You will definitely want to make marbles after reading it. If you order directly from Drew you can get a signed copy.
Old 2011-12-29, 10:05am
Hobby Junkie

Google "Drew Fritts marble tongs". You should get to the link for making them out of a clothes hanger.

Old 2011-12-29, 1:26pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I made several sets of tongs after reading Drew's book. I use them at every torching session often for uses other than holding marbles. I made mine from the same 1/8" stainless steel I use for mandrels. Takes about 2 feet of rod per set. I have two daily use sets of different lengths. Excellent tool and extremely cost effective.
Old 2011-12-29, 5:16pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Thank you all for this information...I will get right on it

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-12-30, 7:55am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I made several sets of tongs after reading Drew's book. I use them at every torching session often for uses other than holding marbles. I made mine from the same 1/8" stainless steel I use for mandrels. Takes about 2 feet of rod per set. I have two daily use sets of different lengths. Excellent tool and extremely cost effective.
Pictures? Pleasssseeee?
Old 2011-12-30, 8:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

look here...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128587

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-12-30, 11:18am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Yep, those be the ones. Thanks Dale.
Another thing I did that's not mentioned in Drews book or anywhere else I know of is I turned out the end of the wire that forms the circle just a bit so it does not dent the glass.
Old 2011-12-30, 10:02pm
Glass-aholic

Just saw some at a flea market for a buck! Check harbor freight, or some like shop. You may have something close to you that carries them.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: