No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-04, 4:55pm
Detail G-Mama!

Default Baking soda beads?

Ok I made some really cool beads and I used a little baking soda on the outside. I've done this before but I used Vetrofond odd lots in the beads and they have some crazing here and there. Anyone care to take a guess if they would be safe to wear? Are they gonna keep crazing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-04, 5:11pm
Life is change. Love it

Is it you that is going to wear them?. If so I'd say go ahead, if not I'd say keep them for a while!

Old 2008-04-04, 7:19pm
I practice alchemy!

Did you anneal them? The soda beads I made crazed a little, but they don't seem to have crazed anymore than they did at first. Mostly they're just pitted from the soda. Aren't they just too fun to make?

Celeste
Old 2008-04-04, 7:22pm
Detail G-Mama!

They are annealed. I'm going to hold onto them for a litte while and see what happens! I really like them, they look like really old beads!

Old 2008-04-05, 6:02am
Detail G-Mama!

I had David look at these under his high power loop that he uses to look at quartz and he said that the cracks have been fire polished over so there should be no problem with them! When I run my fingernail over them I can't feel anything so I think they will be just fine!

Old 2008-04-05, 12:22pm
Born Facing Left

How cool, Anne! I'd love to see them!

Old 2008-04-05, 12:55pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

I got the same look as baking soda beads by roughing up the rods with a diamond sponge, this creates all kinds of bubbles as you heat with out adding a foriegn substance to the glass.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-04-05, 3:51pm
Detail G-Mama!

Well here they are, can anyone see the butterfly?
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-05, 4:26pm

I see the butterfly! These are very nice. Did you roll in baking soda after completed? I was expecting to see transparent beads with bubbles in them before I scrolled down.

Old 2008-04-05, 4:30pm
Detail G-Mama!

I thought that's what people would think! Yep, I rolled in a little bit of baking soda when they were done and then cooked it in. I love they way it makes them look ancient.

Old 2008-04-05, 6:43pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I had some baking soda beads on my bracelet for a very long time ( I wear it every day) and they had some large bubbles and never did crack any further. Yours are beautiful.

Old 2008-04-05, 6:51pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thank you!

Old 2008-04-05, 7:48pm
Born Facing Left

They are just brilliant. Seriously, seriously brilliant. What a great effect!

Old 2008-04-06, 6:05am
You talkin to me?

Wowweeee Anne! Those are awesome!! I see the butterfly!

Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Well here they are, can anyone see the butterfly?

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2008-04-06, 5:24pm

I have "Gelly's Jellies" baking soda beads that she did when she first started & they're NOT annealed (she didn't even have a kiln yet!!) & they've never broken--she sent them to me as a RAOGK because I said I loved them so I could use them on a suncatcher (knowing they weren't annealed & weren't safe for jewelry or anything like that!)! They're a couple years old now!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-04-07, 4:23am

Default Great beads

Annie.great color combination would you mind sharing?
Old 2008-04-07, 4:45am
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks ya'll!!! I was really happy with them! I used some of the vetrofond odd lots, an ivory and 2 of the pinkish rods along with turquoise and dark ivory in moretti. I don't know the name of the vetrofond, I just know that they are from the newer odd lots.

Old 2008-04-07, 6:16am
Resident hippie

Oh Anne they are great! I'll have a go when I get to torch again.
Beadanna
Old 2008-04-07, 5:30pm

Anne those are so pretty. I noticed them in a thread the other day and I just loved them. I love the colors you use in your work.

I have some beads that I made with baking soda and I don't know what crazing means, but if it means crackles, then that is what happened to mine! They are doing fine so far, for a month now, so we'll see.

-Patti

Old 2008-04-07, 5:33pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks Beadanna and Patti! Yes the crackling is what I mean when I say crazing. Good to hear they are still in tact!

Old 2008-04-08, 8:38am
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

very nice!i will have to try that! can you do it with boro?

Old 2008-04-08, 8:59am
Detail G-Mama!

Thank you! Hmm, not too sure about boro, couldn't hurt to try it I guess!

Old 2008-04-08, 9:18am
Bead Crazy!

Default Baking Soda Beads

I gave it a try and here's what I got...not at all like Ann's. I made these about a month ago and holding on to them to see if they would be ok. So far so good.

I'm not sure if I used too much soda. These look and feel like the limestone we have in the Texas Hill Country.

Old 2008-04-08, 9:47am
Detail G-Mama!

Those are really cool!! They do remind me of the limestone here! Looks like you might have used more baking soda than I did but they look great!

Old 2008-04-08, 10:24am
Practicing perfect

Anne, those are fabulous beads. They do look antiquish (if that is a word).
Susan, Your beads are pretty cool too. When I initially saw them, they reminded me of bone that has been sitting in the hills for years of weather.

Love both looks.
thanx, for sharing,
Inez