Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-08-24, 9:20am

Default Help computer people..

I need more MB so I can send a huge file? My provider only allows 20mg per email and I need more than 75mg to send this attachment. They told me I would have to go to a business account. That costs more money, and a land line.. Geesh.. And honestly that is not what I want to do. Can anyone help me figure out what or where I need to go?

Thanks a bunch...

Stace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-24, 9:20am
Experimentalist

I would try "zipping" it.

http://www.winzip.com/aboutzip.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-24, 9:36am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

what kind of file are you trying to send?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-24, 9:48am
ManBearPig

75mb is a pretty big file to be trying to send. What kind of file is it? Often there are ways to reduce the file size without messing up the file. Just depends on what kind of file.

Old 2010-08-24, 10:42am
Karen James

Is it something you could break up into smaller files?

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-08-24, 1:28pm
Angie09

Use www.yousendit.com ... it's free!!
Old 2010-08-26, 6:14am

Thanks for the reply.
Cosmo Squid and KJ Laura Angie

Its a tutorial, (an awesome one if I say so myself) But I wanted to surprise everyone and have it ready with out trying to figure out the size problem. I used a program called swift publisher and it was a huge mess. The tut looked great but I could not send it. Did the customer service thing and he asked me if I could send it to him so he could see it Duh!! If I could send it why would I be calling you? Dork. So I just told him thank you for your help and have a nice day bye bye..
Anyway I spent 2 full days re doing it and putting it into a different application. Pages for mac, Called IWork.... I did send it via a website called too,big,for,email. It worked but the receiver has to go to that website and download it.Sometime it will go into your spam file etc.So it seem like a hassle. It takes a few good minutes to download and upload it. So I am just not sure what to do at this point. I wonder if I could burn a CD and sell it that way. I am pretty frustrated at this point. I have a great tut and no one can see it yet.

Seems like everyone else is making tuts and having no problems. If I make my pictures smaller you wont be able to see them very well. But if you open it up cant you make it bigger on your own computer? I wonder how small I can make my pictures. Too many questions.. Sorry. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Stace

Old 2010-08-26, 6:20am
Karen James

Stace, have you tried compressing the images? Not making them smaller in size, but just compressing them. That may reduce the size of the document considerably.

Karen

Old 2010-08-26, 6:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Use www.yousendit.com ... it's free!!
I've used Yousendit before with great success.

Old 2010-08-26, 7:29am

Karen
I will try that. I am not sure how to do it but I will figure it out. Thank you so much for your help.
I do have a question or two.. If you dont mind. So lets say i want to do another tutorial. When taking the pictures should I adjust the settings in the camera to make them smaller? Like 640x640? Or should I do it on the computer.

Thanks A bunch..

Stace

QUOTE=KJJames;3177892]Stace, have you tried compressing the images? Not making them smaller in size, but just compressing them. That may reduce the size of the document considerably.[/quote]

Old 2010-08-26, 7:46am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynne View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Cosmo Squid and KJ Laura Angie

Its a tutorial, (an awesome one if I say so myself) But I wanted to surprise everyone and have it ready with out trying to figure out the size problem. I used a program called swift publisher and it was a huge mess. The tut looked great but I could not send it. Did the customer service thing and he asked me if I could send it to him so he could see it Duh!! If I could send it why would I be calling you? Dork. So I just told him thank you for your help and have a nice day bye bye..
Anyway I spent 2 full days re doing it and putting it into a different application. Pages for mac, Called IWork.... I did send it via a website called too,big,for,email. It worked but the receiver has to go to that website and download it.Sometime it will go into your spam file etc.So it seem like a hassle. It takes a few good minutes to download and upload it. So I am just not sure what to do at this point. I wonder if I could burn a CD and sell it that way. I am pretty frustrated at this point. I have a great tut and no one can see it yet.

Seems like everyone else is making tuts and having no problems. If I make my pictures smaller you wont be able to see them very well. But if you open it up cant you make it bigger on your own computer? I wonder how small I can make my pictures. Too many questions.. Sorry. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Stace
Are you trying to save the file as a PDF?

There are many ways to make files smaller. For instance, my tutorials are 44 or 48 pages, with multiple color pictures on each page. None of them is over 3 MB.

If you want, I can help you with it. PM or e-mail me and I can offer plenty of suggestions. That's what I did for a living for 21 years, and sort of what I do now in my new business.

I do believe, however, the program you used to set it up is the problem.

Old 2010-08-26, 1:14pm

Cos, I am the problem. Well, Most women are I hear. But I was part of the problem. I had my pic res way too high. I am ok now. I sent myself a copy and it went from 72-76 mg to 6.7mg's!!! I am pretty happy about that.
Thank you for your kindness. I appreciate it. Now off to figure out where I will put the tutorial. Maybe on my website with a link to pay pal. Thanks again.. Stace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Are you trying to save the file as a PDF?

There are many ways to make files smaller. For instance, my tutorials are 44 or 48 pages, with multiple color pictures on each page. None of them is over 3 MB.

If you want, I can help you with it. PM or e-mail me and I can offer plenty of suggestions. That's what I did for a living for 21 years, and sort of what I do now in my new business.

I do believe, however, the program you used to set it up is the problem.

Old 2010-08-26, 1:44pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr2449 View Post
I've used Yousendit before with great success.
Ditto

Old 2010-08-27, 4:21pm

Default I figured it out.

I got it corrected whew..I am done with the tutorial.Now, just to start putting it together on my web site and a pay pal button and we are almost set to go. One look-see over spelling and such and I am ready.. excited nervous, Happy and well excited..
Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it..

Stace

Old 2010-08-28, 6:10am
Karen James

Good luck Stace!

Karen

Old 2010-08-28, 10:51am

Stace,
You might try uploading the file to your server, then placing a link to the file on an secret web page on your site. Then you could create a PayPal button that redirects paying customers to the page with the link.

I do this for one of my products and it works very well.

Another thing that I do is use Password protected folder on my site to offer an online version of my DVD. Once someone pays, then I add a unique username and password to the allowed list for that folder. I respond to the customer and provide them with the username and password.

Steve

Old 2010-08-30, 2:54am
picking Job's Tears

Steve, but wouldn't that allow people to download things more than once? - I bought some tutorials and they were emailed to me. As I have them in a safe place I'm sure they'll be there until I won't be able to read the pdfs anymore (i.e. hopefully never). -
I know it implies the same honesty to not email those on as it requires to not pass on the secret location (be that security by obscurity or security by password) - or copy a disk for that matter.
Given the rather high price recently paid for an out of print book, or photocopies of books?
Playing Devil's advocate here. Copying taken to a different level? (to those I bought or got given tutorials from, your tutorials are safe with me).
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-08-30, 1:04pm

I don't mind a customer re-watching my online DVD many times, or re=downloading purchased .pdf files.

I have no control over customers who happen to be thieves too.

Since the original problem here, emailing 75MB files, has also been resolved, then personalized, emailed .pdf files is the way to go.

Steve

Old 2010-08-31, 8:12am

I am emailing my tutorial to the purchaser's. I want to believe that they want me to succeed and not give it sell it or share the information with others. I am living in a dream world but I just have to believe people are good. With good intention's. Times are tough and supporting your local bead artist is a good thing. I try too. I am in Lah Lah Lah land I guess.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Stace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
I don't mind a customer re-watching my online DVD many times, or re=downloading purchased .pdf files.

I have no control over customers who happen to be thieves too.

Since the original problem here, emailing 75MB files, has also been resolved, then personalized, emailed .pdf files is the way to go.

Steve

Old 2010-08-31, 9:47am

The last tutorial we purchased online arrived in pdf form with the top lines:
This copy licensed to: Steve Wright
Copyright 2010: blabla Designs

So if you create a new pdf file from the original document each sale, it can be personalized to discourage copyright violations. It's like a padlock, only intended to keep honest people honest.

Steve