Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2013-03-28, 8:45am

Thank you Dawn for sharing all this info and the great video! I'm still trying to get something other than a brown stripe down the middle of my bead. THis is with Fire Lotus - it gets a filmy gray haze before I garage it, and I can't seem to get rid of it!

Also, I'm on a Mini CC with NG and an oxycon - does the fact that I don't use propane make any difference?

Judy
Old 2013-03-28, 9:25am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassTorturer View Post
Thank you Dawn for sharing all this info and the great video! I'm still trying to get something other than a brown stripe down the middle of my bead. THis is with Fire Lotus - it gets a filmy gray haze before I garage it, and I can't seem to get rid of it!

Also, I'm on a Mini CC with NG and an oxycon - does the fact that I don't use propane make any difference?

Judy
Fire Lotus is not in the Dalai Lama family. The three colors of glass that work the way I showed in the video are Dalai Lama, Transcendental and Tibet. They all require that initial "super sloppy" heat cycle in order to strike.

Fire Lotus I work a little different. I don't heat it quite so much. I get it good and hot, but just short of the point where it gets soupy. Then I press the bead (or marver it) and wait for what seems like forever for it to cool and loose all it's glow. Then I bring it back to the flame and gently fire polish the chill marks out, and in doing so, it strikes the bead. This will show some blues, usually towards the center of the bead, and some tan colors out on the edges. Go ahead and pop it in the kiln at this point! The tan colors will strike in the kiln to purples and reds.

If you have a filmy gray haze, that kind of sounds like too much gas in the mixture. Try turning your gas down a bit and see if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-03-28, 9:47am

Wow - quick reply, Dawn! Thanks so much for the clarifying!!!! I'll try it!!

Judy
Old 2013-04-24, 1:50pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Yes, small....not mini or micro. Just because the whole set of beads can't sit atop a dime doesn't make them large!

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2013-06-01, 9:48am

Thank You for this video..I am anxious to try your technique...thanks so much for taking the time to share with us....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Hi you guys. I thought I would share a video I made using Trautman Art Glass. In the video I use Dalai Lama, but I also work Tibet and Transcendental the same way. This glass seems to require more heat than any of the other striking type silver glass so if any of you out there are still having trouble with it, I'm hoping this little demo might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGX2...ature=youtu.be

"Don't Worry, Bead Happy"

Old 2013-07-21, 4:07pm

Thanks very much for the video Dawn. Really enjoyed it. Now I have to order some Tag glass. I've only tried Fire Lotus. I'm interested in how you pull your stringer. What size rod do you initially start with to pull from? All my clear is probably too small. Mine are 5-6 mm.

My Ebay
Old 2013-07-22, 9:48am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass2 View Post
Thanks very much for the video Dawn. Really enjoyed it. Now I have to order some Tag glass. I've only tried Fire Lotus. I'm interested in how you pull your stringer. What size rod do you initially start with to pull from? All my clear is probably too small. Mine are 5-6 mm.
Glad you enjoyed the video!
I use a standard 6-7mm rod to pull my clear stringers from. But 5-6mm is fine too. The thinner the rod the more careful you have to be to keep the pull fairly consistent.

For a 6-7mm rod I usually get 3 stringers. I pull two stringers and set the end aside. Then I start a new rod and after I pull the first stringer I then weld the end piece I set aside to the new rod. Then I just continue on this way welding the left over piece to the next rod so there's no waste.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-07-22, 10:19am

Thx Dawn....I appreciate all the help I can get!

Happy creating,
ginger
Old 2013-07-22, 4:05pm

Thanks Dawn, going to try this soon.

My Ebay

Tags
dalai lama, fire lotus