AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2021-11-23, 5:12pm

Default 02 Concentrator

I have been making beads using a dual torch with oxygen and propane tanks. I just switched up to an oxygen concentrator a few days ago and am having a lot of problems with my glass. As I am still somewhat new to torch work and have not had an issue with my torch before I am sort of sucky a trouble shooting. My colors are all wonky - the blues and greens are very dark no matter how light of a rod I start with and which seems to be the same whether it is transparent or solids. Whites and beiges seem ok but do tend to have some brown streaks so I am guessing my flame is too hot??? Also my good reds come out looking silver most of the time now. I am setting my cones like I always have for a neutral flame but my glass is not behaving as it used to. I am not sure what is happening. Thoughts???
Old 2021-11-24, 8:58am

Sounds like your flame chemistry is reducing the glass.

Oxygen concentrators run at lower psi than regulated tanks. Most tanks run 15psi O2 but an oxycon will usually put out around 5psi. Some are higher. What model do you have?

Here's a solution that worked for me:
1. Turn your propane pressure down to about 3-4 psi while flowing.
2. Turn your oxycon up to 90% flow (4.5lpm, 9lpm, etc.)
3. Work your colors farther out in the flame even if it takes longer to melt.

I used this solution when 9lpm at 4.5psi wasn't quite good enough for colors. Now I have 13lpm at 6psi and no more issues.
Old 2021-11-24, 3:27pm

I have a 5 Liter Devilbiss O2 concentrator. I will experiment with turning my propane pressure down. Thanks!!
Old 2021-11-24, 10:05pm
Phill

Also tanked oxygen has a much, much higher purity (often 99.5%) than oxygen concentrators which can range from 89% to 96% at best.

And if you set the output on a concentrator to its highest output even the newest ones will go from 96% down to 87%.

The best bet is to set them for at least a half liter less than maximum.
That would 4.5 LPM on a 5 liter machine and 9 liters works better than 9.5 liters on a 10 LPM machine.

The human body won't notice it in a medical situation but your flame chemistry will scream like a wounded animal.

Good Luck with this. It's a relearning experience once you get spoiled using tanked O2.
Old 2021-11-28, 2:20pm

I’m not sure if this would be the best place to post my question but I’ve gotta try—
After I’m done with a session on my torch ( Beth bravo 3 oxy cons and propane) for some reason it always smells of bleach upstairs in the house.. I do have a little ventilation going on but I live in an old house that has its own fairly breezy ventilation due to it just being old and not updated or very heat efficient… why does it always smell that way?? It wasn’t an issue in my last studio set up but I had only one story then and hence never was up above where I was working at… is it just the ozone from my oxy cons or my torch or what? Anyone have any ideas I’m really curious if it’s potentially bad for the rest of the household members and me as well!!?? Thanks in advance!
Old 2021-11-28, 3:39pm
Loving learning

I just found this thread, maybe it will help. I have never encountered it myself.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9801
Old 2021-11-28, 6:20pm

Yep, my first and only thought was "Poor ventilation".

The link Eileen posted should help. And there is much more to find here in LE for propper ventilation.

Margit

ETA: You will find more about ventilation in 'safety'.

Last edited by MaMay; 2021-11-28 at 6:22pm.
Old 2021-11-29, 4:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolove11 View Post
I’m not sure if this would be the best place to post my question but I’ve gotta try—
After I’m done with a session on my torch ( Beth bravo 3 oxy cons and propane) for some reason it always smells of bleach upstairs in the house.. I do have a little ventilation going on but I live in an old house that has its own fairly breezy ventilation due to it just being old and not updated or very heat efficient… why does it always smell that way?? It wasn’t an issue in my last studio set up but I had only one story then and hence never was up above where I was working at… is it just the ozone from my oxy cons or my torch or what? Anyone have any ideas I’m really curious if it’s potentially bad for the rest of the household members and me as well!!?? Thanks in advance!
You are smelling Nitrogen Dioxide. It is building up in your workspace and can be dangerous. It has the characteristic bleach smell.

You need to improve your ventilation soon!
Old 2021-11-29, 4:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimBeads123 View Post
I have a 5 Liter Devilbiss O2 concentrator. I will experiment with turning my propane pressure down. Thanks!!
FYI

That's an 8.5 psi outlet pressure oxycon model. Not much higher than 5 but every bit helps.

Tags
02 concentrator, help me!, torch issue