Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-28, 6:52pm

Default Assistance for Colors Needed Please

This week has been a horribly sad week for me. One of our show dogs that we sent to Australia in 2010 died suddenly at the age of 3 years and 3 months because of unknown internal bleeding and basically an incompetent vet.

Her owner, my daughter and myself are devastated. Cher was a beautiful dog full of life and fire.

I have challenged myself to make some heart beads for maybe a keychain or a rear view mirror (as I'm not thinking a man would carry a heart on his keychain). I would like to do it in the colors of Cher. She was a beautiful Red Merle Australian Shepherd with baby blue and amber eyes.

I have no clue how to figure out what would equate to the colors of her coat and would welcome any assistance.

I've added a photo of her for you to see her colors.

I appreciate any assistance and advice you all may have. A good link how to make a heart would be good too

Thank you in advance.

Becy
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-28, 6:59pm
tweetysweetie

Becky, I don't have advice about colors but I'm sure someone will pop in and suggest some. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your lose, and she was a gorgeous dog. Hugs & inner peace for you dear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-28, 7:09pm

Thank you. It is hard to be a world away. She lived with me for a year while all the tests that are required for Australia were being done.

Becky
Old 2013-02-28, 8:14pm

Becky, please accept my sincere sympathy on the loss of your furry baby. I am just a newbie but I thought that Cher's coloring reminded me of frit...I did a split screen with Cher's pic on one side and ValCox frit on the other. I thought that, comparing the colors to Cher, some frit choices might be Champagne Rain or Drama Cream on a light base. I hope other folks weigh in also.

Helene
Old 2013-02-28, 8:28pm

My condolences to you and your family. We're going through the impending loss of my son and daughter in laws sweet dog-Bane. I am making a comemorative bead with his colors.
I'm a newbie but I do have a sense for colors. My first thought is Effetre dark Ivory with splotches (tech term) of Effetre Calico. I'm sure you'll get other suggestions. I have some Mou Mocha but haven't used yet. It's darker (on the pic) than the Calico. I think the Calico is a good choice.

It does feel good to put your emotions into making something special in memorium.
Old 2013-02-28, 8:47pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I'm so sorry. I lost one of my young dogs with no warning, and no answers, and no amount of money was able to keep him with me. Goodness knows I tried. I have a red merle foster Aussie right now, and will try to come up with colors for you this weekend.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2013-02-28, 9:04pm
Senior Moment

How devastating. I am so sorry Becky.

I have a couple heart links if you want:
http://home.comcast.net/~bgould152548/pix/Spotlight.htm
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43092

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-02-28, 10:36pm
Grateful Member

Becky,
I'm so sorry for the loss of your little guy. What awful awful pain! I join all the others in sending my caring thoughts...and I add my admiration for the positive step you're taking in making this literally 'heart-felt' memorial. The suggestion that comes to my mind ..if you have them ..is to use enamels. You could either sift on a mix of beiges/brown or perhaps dip a rod of M. dark ivory in the beige and work it in. I think either one would help get the effect of a natural color mix as opposed to a solid, singular shade. Also, That Frit girl has a nice Mocha mix that might work. I'm going from memory here (not at my studio). I'm not sure it would capture the reddish tones. Perhaps check her website.
That's the best I can do at the moment. Others have and will give additional, better advice.
My thoughts are with you.
Barbara
Old 2013-02-28, 10:38pm

I came across this free tutorial during my surfing tonight. See if this helps at all.

http://amytrescott.com/hearttutorial.htm
Old 2013-03-01, 9:01am
Dix Harrison

Becky:

I am so sorry! What a great tribute you are planning.

Could I suggest that you contact Lori Peterson by personal message? She makes the most awesome dog beads and I'd bet she could recommend the exact colors you need. Here's a link to her website for you to take a look. http://www.loribeads.com/buyables.htm

Lori is extremely generous and compassionate. I am a secret admirer of her work and envious of her talent.

Dix
Old 2013-03-01, 10:01am
I like to melt things

I would use new CiM Vanilla Latte and either Effetre White or CiM Coconut Milk. You'd be able to make streaky stringers with those colours to get some of the fur texture, and both colours are the right tonality. If you can find any CiM Tamarind, that would work for the darker brown shades.

-
-
Old 2013-03-02, 11:16am

Thank you for all the suggestions for colors. I will be looking at all of those and trying to play and make a heart this weekend.

Becky
Old 2013-03-03, 7:59am

Best Wishes.
Old 2013-03-04, 10:46am
dances with ideas...

Becky, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. No suggestions on colors, but here is a link to a heart tut by Jen Geldard. The shape is very different, chunkier, than some.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/11899/229/page3.php
It took a while to load on my computer.