Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-03-02, 5:18pm
Stress Cracked

Default Help! Attaching a new regulator

I bought a new regulator to attach to my bulk propane tank. I already have a line plumbed to my work area in my house. The problem is in attaching the regulator to the line. The issue is that the regulator connection is 9/16 left hand threaded (I don't know the standard sizes, I'm measuring the outside diameter with calipers) and the line fitting is 13/16 right handed. This is such a pain. I had to modify my previous regulator to get it to fit and I think I ended up damaging it.

Here is the 13/16 right handed line end:

Here is an end on view of the 9/16 left handed regulator and 13/16 right handed line ends:

I hope I have explained the problem clearly enough. Are there some hoses that can be adapted to fit? or a series of couplings to navigate the changes in diameter and left to right threads?

Thanks, Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2007-03-02, 9:16pm
Gentleman of Leisure

One option may be to remove the male "B" fitting from regulator body and replace it with a 1/4 NPT (national pipe thread) coupler then use series of reducers and couplers to get proper connection from your hose to coupler on regulator body...these items should be available at any good hardware store that has well stocked plumbing dept.

Yes the threads in regulator body should be 1/4 inch National Pipe Thread. Just be careful removing existing fitting so you do not damage fitting or regulator body... (only hose connector side is left-hand thread).

Another option...

IF you can go to welding supply and get a short piece of hose (maybe a foot or so) with "B" fitting on one end, you can get barbed fitting that has standard threads (NPT) on threaded end and put it on other end of short hose and adapt NPT fitting to match your existing pipe fitting... The problem is the regulator connection, everything else is hardware store stuff...

The left-hand connection ( B fitting ) is unique to welding industry so most hardware stores will not have anything that fits to it unless they have welding hose repair kits.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-03-02 at 9:37pm.
Old 2007-03-03, 10:10am
Stress Cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
One option may be to remove the male "B" fitting from regulator body and replace it with a 1/4 NPT (national pipe thread) coupler then use series of reducers and couplers to get proper connection from your hose to coupler on regulator body...these items should be available at any good hardware store that has well stocked plumbing dept.

Yes the threads in regulator body should be 1/4 inch National Pipe Thread. Just be careful removing existing fitting so you do not damage fitting or regulator body... (only hose connector side is left-hand thread).
Dale - This method does work exactly as you described - that is how I damaged my original regulator - the fitting was in so darned tight that somehow the stress of getting it off messed it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Another option...

IF you can go to welding supply and get a short piece of hose (maybe a foot or so) with "B" fitting on one end, you can get barbed fitting that has standard threads (NPT) on threaded end and put it on other end of short hose and adapt NPT fitting to match your existing pipe fitting... The problem is the regulator connection, everything else is hardware store stuff...

The left-hand connection ( B fitting ) is unique to welding industry so most hardware stores will not have anything that fits to it unless they have welding hose repair kits.

Dale
Dale - I'm glad you think that can be done - That is the solution I will to shoot for this time. It helps me alot to know that you think it is do-able so when I walk into the welding supply store I will have a definite plan.

Thanks! - Jim Gallagher
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2007-03-03, 11:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

Just speculation, but large connection is probably 1/2 NPT so once you can get connected to the "B" fitting on regulator everything else should be easy...

Another thought is maybe there is a replacement rubber hose for gas BBQ that may get you connected to regulator and other end of hose is adaptable to fit you piping connection.... A tour of BBQ section of local hardware store may turn something up (at best it may be a long shot).

Also try local RV supplier they usually have a lot of possible hoses- connectors- adapters....

Also welding shop may know secret to get fitting out of regulator....

Maybe go to this site, look at part number #124, (visually same as #123) this will get you connected to regulator and convert other end to real world NPT which is common hardware store fittings... Again welding supply may have this....

http://www.westernenterprises.com/en.../PDFS/wi14.pdf

Dale

Old 2007-03-04, 12:46am
Stress Cracked

Dale - Thanks for the ideas. I now not only have a plan but several backup plans! Thanks again! - Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson

Last edited by lbjvg; 2007-03-04 at 12:52am.
Old 2007-04-07, 8:37am
Stress Cracked

Well - it took a month but I finally got it hooked up. I did what Dale initially suggested, which was to remove the left hand B fitting from the regulator. I was reluctant to do this, but when the Airgas store manager said he "does it all the time" and that he would do it for me, I agreed. Life becomes much simpler when that left hand fitting is removed. The Airgas manager then found a B to NPT fitting that completes the connection. By the way, I never did find a left-right adapter fitting of the correct size. Anyway, thanks for you help Dale. - Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2007-04-07, 12:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Your welcome.... Always like to hear a success story....

Dale